Newbie, 5s battery question and making 4s reach its limit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco1005

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Whats the reason for people not using 5S batteries as much as 2S and 3S? Is it because most RC vehicles need two batteries to even out the weight on each side of chassis and they dont make 2.5S batteries to equal five?

Also, how do i make a shredder on 4S as powerful as possible, i dont want to go to 6S with it because of the issues with Shredders on 6S. I've got an arrma blx185 esc for it already but would putting a leopard motor in it make a big difference over the stock on 4S? If its a subtle difference i dont want to spend the money on it.

with a 1300kv motor I can not say if you put a leopard motor in it is going to make all that much a difference whats the leopards kv? and its never a good idea to run 5 cells by having a 2+3 cell to get 5.2+2 to get 4 sure not the 2 .3 to get 5..2 on 1 side then 3 on the other your rc is still outa balance. Most people run 2 batteries to increase run time...its like when you run a saddle pack on a rc you will find the - neg side will always need more mah to get it to a full charge and will have less voltage than the + side(i tested this theory over a 5 year period and always the - side will have less voltage than the + side. any pack..)

ahhh i see, ok thanks for the info. The leopard motor is 2000kv so probably wouldnt make a difference.

a 2000kv would make a difference of 42000rpm vs 27300 what you have now..not quiet double buy close... you will notice a big difference in top speed....

ok cool, what i am confused about after watching many youtube videos on installing the leopard motor is what # pinion teeth i need with it and where i can actually get it.
Also i guess the shredder motor mount doesn't fit but which one actually does?
Last, the shaft of the leopard motor i guess is thicker than stock shredder motor???? LOL so many questions sorry but its helping me out.

not sure as how many teeth pinion to use.. 1st need to know gear pitch.. then motor shaft size 5mm? as for motor mount . I'm not sure... robinson racing is where I buy 90% of my pinions you can also try amazon....

What's the size of the shredder 1300kv and leopard 2000kv?

I did a quick search and found 2 sizes for the leopard 2000kv, 4074 and 4082.

Here's a video of a guy that put a leopard 4082 2000kv in his shredder:

Screenshots comparing the redcat 1300kv and the leopard 4082:
2021-0104-redcat1300kv-leopard4082-2000kv-side.jpg

2021-0104-redcat1300kv-leopard4082-2000kv-end.jpg

Would suggest the redcat 1300kv is a 3674 maybe? So going with a leopard 4074 or 4082 would likely be an improvement in torque either way with the 4082 being the biggest improvement. Considering the difference in kv, you may want to start with the same gearing or a bit lower, see how it acts on 4S. Then worry about 5S or 6S. However, in the video, he says he had to go up to 18T because the 4082 motor was too fat and he couldn't get it closer to the spur... you might want to check out his later videos as it appears he went back to the stock motor. Looks like he was running a castle MMv2 in it for the esc, which is rated 120A I believe, but I know people push them pretty hard on the arrma forum on 6S and they do well.

Some esc's won't see "5S" properly, the blx185 I believe is one of them. It knows what 3S, 4S and 6S voltages should be, but 5S confuses it.

Back