Newb that has an idea…..no idea where to start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigboss

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I’m as new as you could be to the RC world. All I’ve got is a cheap $80 drifter that I’m not truly competent with. I love wrenching and steampunk sorta machinery and I got to thinking about building an rc car that has a front-mounted nitro engine large enough to poke out of the hood (think about dom’s car from the later fast n furious movies).

Stylistically I’d want to use a nitro engine made for planes due to size and shape of the head/cylinder/heat sink.

I’d also want to ensure a clutch system that can be controlled…not a centrifugal system.

I’m not sure how you’d go about building from scratch a drivetrain and chassis for this idea that I have, which is where any and all help would be appreciated.

I’m aware of the impractical nature of this build…it’s just for fun and to see if I can do it.
Hello everyone

I’m as new as you could be to the RC world. All I’ve got is a cheap $80 drifter that I’m not truly competent with. I love wrenching and steampunk sorta machinery and I got to thinking about building an rc car that has a front-mounted nitro engine large enough to poke out of the hood (think about dom’s car from the later fast n furious movies).

Stylistically I’d want to use a nitro engine made for planes due to size and shape of the head/cylinder/heat sink.

I’d also want to ensure a clutch system that can be controlled…not a centrifugal system.

I’m not sure how you’d go about building from scratch a drivetrain and chassis for this idea that I have, which is where any and all help would be appreciated.

I’m aware of the impractical nature of this build…it’s just for fun and to see if I can do it.
I want my final product to look like this pic

Attachments

• DF477464-11BF-4880-82E1-65234F3E03F1.jpeg
    DF477464-11BF-4880-82E1-65234F3E03F1.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 56
I have no idea how youd go about doing it but I know one of the big hurdles you're going to face is the nitro engine overheating because they are designed to be cooled by moving through the air. Drifting doesn't provide enough air flow to keep them cool which is why you dont see any nitro drift cars on the market. Seems to me if you were going to attempt it youd almost have to use a marine nitro engine that has a water cooling jacket and build some sort of radiator/water cooling system for it as well. Good luck though and if you attempt it make sure you post lots of pics! :)

Do you know how truggies and off road nitro rc’s manage cooling? I’m guessing the fast ones have enough air flow but what about the high load low speed applications for the engines?

Do you know how truggies and off road nitro rc’s manage cooling? I’m guessing the fast ones have enough air flow but what about the high load low speed applications for the engines?
They all manage cooling the same. airflow. Even the offroad monster trucks move fast enough to keep air moving over them. With a drift car or a crawler the rig is basically sitting in once place with little airflow. Well, I guess the one exception to that would be is if you're actually racing the drift car around a track then youd have some air flow over the engine but if your just sitting there practicing drifting in your garage in between cones or something a long those lines its going to overheat eventually. My initital thought when I read your idea was about like practice drifting not racing around a track.

Toyan engines come to mind.

For your build, it it was me, axial rear axle and frame or similar. If you go nitro, there was a guy that water cooled one for crawling.

The toyan I think it is, I feel would be better for this. Alot of builds on youtube.

https://www.enginediy.com/collections/toyan-engine

There is also mini v8s and a 1/4 scale rc charger on there.

I'm tossing this out there, rc4wd makes a fake v8 the hides an electric motor also.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-V8-Scale-Engine_p_4175.html

https://www.rccaraction.com/ultra-scale-custom-chevy-silverado-by-geoff-docherty/

Toyan engines come to mind.

For your build, it it was me, axial rear axle and frame or similar. If you go nitro, there was a guy that water cooled one for crawling.

The toyan I think it is, I feel would be better for this. Alot of builds on youtube.

There is also mini v8s and a 1/4 scale rc charger on there.

I'm tossing this out there, rc4wd makes a fake v8 the hides an electric motor also.
I’ve actually considered Toyan as I’ve seen some videos on YouTube. Now that you mention it that’s likely a more reliable option than a repurposed plane engine

You could maybe look at creating a fan cooling system using a fan from an electric set up?

I think my main hurdle with my whole idea….is the lack of tools/equipment necessary to modify/fabricate things I’ll need. I’ve only recently started picking up my hobbies and so if I can’t just drill a couple holes and screw stuff in, it’s likely too specialized for what I can manage.

For example to front mount an toyan engine where the cars hood would be, most suspension set ups and gears are in the way, I could use a crawler/truck chassis instead but then the wheelbase is huge and the suspension might not accommodate road/drift wheels.

I’d need some modular type of customization….like legos but strong enough for a nitro engine.

I’m in a place where I’m just hoping the right set of parts will happen to fit together around the engine which is why I need some guidance. It’s quite frustrating
You could maybe look at creating a fan cooling system using a fan from an electric set up?
My last post was supposed to quote this here

I think my main hurdle with my whole idea….is the lack of tools/equipment necessary to modify/fabricate things I’ll need. I’ve only recently started picking up my hobbies and so if I can’t just drill a couple holes and screw stuff in, it’s likely too specialized for what I can manage.

For example to front mount an toyan engine where the cars hood would be, most suspension set ups and gears are in the way, I could use a crawler/truck chassis instead but then the wheelbase is huge and the suspension might not accommodate road/drift wheels.

I’d need some modular type of customization….like legos but strong enough for a nitro engine.

I’m in a place where I’m just hoping the right set of parts will happen to fit together around the engine which is why I need some guidance. It’s quite frustrating

My last post was supposed to quote this here
All the stuff you're talking about doing, as you say, would require massive amounts of custom fab work.

Yeah the more I learn about rc stuff the more I realize
Just keep it as plans and do smaller projects to build up your skill and knowledge- that’s basically what I’m doing and my next real project is gonna be fitting a pick up body to a buggy frame with a few other bits on top like maybe a lighting set up

I seen them small scale engines on you tube and on different websites. If you don't know where to start, might I recommend you contact your local live steamers club/organization.

I worked with a few live steamer members in the past. I can't put into words with out coming off bad, but anyways just contact a local live steamers club and I am almost positive you will find several people who will be able to help you. They work with steam engines, but they should be able to help you out with combustible fuel engine.

Also..are you going to machine parts? if so I think Fusion 360 is free. Its a cad software.

Last edited:
I seen them small scale engines on you tube and on different websites. If you don't know where to start, might I recommend you contact your local live steamers club/organization.

I worked with a few live steamer members in the past. I can't put into words with out coming off bad, but anyways just contact a local live steamers club and I am almost positive you will find several people who will be able to help you. They work with steam engines, but they should be able to help you out with combustible fuel engine.

Also..are you going to machine parts? if so I think Fusion 360 is free. Its a cad software.
Steam powered RC would be epic tho now you’ve got me pondering lol

If you go steam then yeah it is definitely possible. I seen some tiny lil motors that work on steam
If you go the steam route, you will need to be prepared to up the size of the end product. Yes there are some small steam engines, but all the manutia required to get the wheel turning will require room.

Back