New to upgrading shocks , help?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emry7368

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi , I'm relatively new to the rc hobby and I have a ftx vantage Brushless. I was looking to see if it was even possible to get any different length shocks to raise the ride hight , is it possible to get completely different shocks? Sorry if it's really obvious

You should be able to use longer shocks, but that would be limited by the dog-bones. Unless, you can replace it with longer dog-bones as well.
You could just raise the ride height with larger wheels/tires.

What's the reason to increase ride height? Higher ride height and higher speed don't mix well.

Hi! Thanks for your response , could you help me find ( or point me in the right direction) of some bigger shocks and dog bones please. Much appreciated

Hi! Thanks for your response , could you help me find ( or point me in the right direction) of some bigger shocks and dog bones please. Much appreciated
Sorry, I'm not familiar with FTX products. You would just have to measure the stock dog-bones and shocks, and go from there.

have you tried different shock tower positions to raise the car ? this should in theory be possible without spending a dime.
i know for cornering experience this method should be avoided because it could make your car handle worse or better.

have you tried different shock tower positions to raise the car ? this should in theory be possible without spending a dime.
i know for cornering experience this method should be avoided because it could make your car handle worse or better.
I had a look but the positions are so close together it barely adds anything

I had a look but the positions are so close together it barely adds anything
the buggy you mentioned also has 'droop' screws this controls how low or high the ride height after shock droop is. the screw(4 pcs) can be found in each bottom arm or A arm or whatever the term is :)
Screw them in, and the arm will 'lock' to a certain lower height. screw them out, and you have the most height you can get with these arms
EDIT: You can also stiffen the shock springs by turning and lowering the spring retention ring/shock nut to keep the buggy at a higher ride height

@emry7368 you still haven't told us the reason you want to increase ride height on this buggy.
possibly to avoid small rocks that could hinder the lower front of the buggy ? i've seen it handle and on brakes it really digs deep into its front suspension.

id put some stronger springs in it so heavier shock oil maybe decrease piston hole siae n count.b4 putting a taller shock thats going to make the car handle very poorly cg will be very high.good luck

possibly to avoid small rocks that could hinder the lower front of the buggy ? i've seen it handle and on brakes it really digs deep into its front suspension.
Yes, what size dog bones would I have to fit to work with the shocks I linked in this thread? Thanks

What size dog bones would I need for the shocks I linked in this thread, or how to calculate it thanks

if you are going longer dog bones, doesn't that mean you need longer A arms as well ? ...
i don't get how longer dog bones works with longer shocks but without increasing the A arm length ..
unless someone else has done this and has solid prove that it works, i say no

and its still relatively unclear why you want a higher ride height ?

on top of that, buggies aren't really made to have high ride heights.
that's why someone invented "Truggy" combining a buggy and monster truck like vehicle into 1.

@Xraycer mentioned to increase the tire size, i also stand by his opinion.
@tntpoof mentioned using heavier or thicker shock oil to increase resistance and minimize shock droop and increase shock length.

However at the end of the day the A arms only go so far .. even without droop screws they would simply be limited by the chassis.

The link you posted, with the fastrax shocks, its the same length you already have in the front. therefore you would be gaining absolutely nothing. apart from losing money.

Last edited:
Shouldn't she unscrew the bolt that is holding the top part of the shock to the shock tower to see what her limit would be for shock length? just my opinion but it might help to do that.
Yes, what size dog bones would I have to fit to work with the shocks I linked in this thread? Thanks
Also, when she replied with this message she said that she wanted a higher ride height to help with the front digging in on heavy breaking.