New to the RC Community

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGravyMan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Just got into RC planes and now looking to also get an RC Car/Truck. This is something I'm going to do with my kids so trying to figure out what to look at. I want something that can be worked on and modified and had parts readily available. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Traxxas or Arrma..decide what type of surface you will run on and pick a model

@TheGravyMan

Welcome.jpg

Welcome to RCTalk @TheGravyMan! I would agree, check out both Arrma and Traxxas - both are going to offer great trucks!

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on RCTalk that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable and easier!

Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership

set yourself a known limit .just because you might need 1

Welcome! One car outside of Arrma and Traxxas for the kids that I can recommend ( and it's extremely durable) is the Team AE 14B, this is a good option if you want something a bit smaller. They're brushless, very quick, and have proven to be extremely reliable/durable. I just returned to the hobby after many years away, I bought each of the kids a 14B and a Slash 4WD VXL. They end playing with the 14B's because they can build small courses in the yard, contrasting that with the Slash's, which require a lot more space and coordination to use them at their potential.

Just got into RC planes and now looking to also get an RC Car/Truck. This is something I'm going to do with my kids so trying to figure out what to look at. I want something that can be worked on and modified and had parts readily available. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Go for Kraton 8s

So narrowed it down a little to the Traxxas Maxx, Arma Senton, Big Rock, Granite. Anyone have experience with any of these?

So narrowed it down a little to the Traxxas Maxx, Arma Senton, Big Rock, Granite. Anyone have experience with any of these?
Id go with the MAXX. For no other reason then it is a proven platform with tons of after market support. The Arrmas are going to be good kits too, Id say the Granite is probably the most popular of the 3? Someone may correct me on that statement but the first one is fact :)

Id go with the MAXX. For no other reason then it is a proven platform with tons of after market support. The Arrmas are going to be good kits too, Id say the Granite is probably the most popular of the 3? Someone may correct me on that statement but the first one is fact :)
Can’t beat Kraton 6 or 8s

the Granite probably is, but personally i recommend the BRCC over it, that extra inch of width, and length really just keeps the truck planted. granite on 3s is very wheelie happy and is alot easier to roll on harder cornering. that said it is still a blast and IMO can't go wrong with either.
FWIW i am converting my Granite to BRCC after test running a big rock.
only issue with BRCC is the stock wheels and tires are "meh" set of granite wheels on a BRCC and completely different truck.

Hello, would like to chime in here as well.
(New to hobby RC, had only simple WLToys heli and RC car toys.)
Which one would you suggest as all rounder please? I have here small backyard (grass), some empty streets, a lot of fields (crops around) and I would like to visit woods hiking trails etc, (as I have 2yo (and 4months) sons), they would be only looking for now. :)
I don't plan to jump a lot, nor visit any tracks, as there are none around me afaik (DE, Passau)

Before visiting this forum, I was contemplating about Traxxas Rustler 4x4 or Hoss ( - not good for woods trails I suppose?).
Then I saw Traxxas Summit - seems like a bit too slow, but might do what I ask for. And found some traxxas brand bashing, cheap plastics etc, which put some negatives into my head.
Could you recommend any other all-rounder? (any brand).
It's supposed to be xmas gift from my wife. I was thinking about 400e for car (gift) and rest will I pay as extra.
So total max would be around 800e.

Thank you!

UPD: I found Kraton 6s, which seems interesting as well. Isn't it a bit powerful for beginner? :)

Last edited:
Hello, would like to chime in here as well.
(New to hobby RC, had only simple WLToys heli and RC car toys.)
Which one would you suggest as all rounder please? I have here small backyard (grass), some empty streets, a lot of fields (crops around) and I would like to visit woods hiking trails etc, (as I have 2yo (and 4months) sons), they would be only looking for now. :)
I don't plan to jump a lot, nor visit any tracks, as there are none around me afaik (DE, Passau)

Before visiting this forum, I was contemplating about Traxxas Rustler 4x4 or Hoss ( - not good for woods trails I suppose?).
Then I saw Traxxas Summit - seems like a bit too slow, but might do what I ask for. And found some traxxas brand bashing, cheap plastics etc, which put some negatives into my head.
Could you recommend any other all-rounder? (any brand).
It's supposed to be xmas gift from my wife. I was thinking about 400e for car (gift) and rest will I pay as extra.
So total max would be around 800e.

Thank you!
Well, nothing is going to really be an "all rounder" if for no other reason anything that goes fast isnt going to be good for woods and trials. Youd want a crawler or trail truck for woods/trails. The summit with its hi/low transmission option probably the closest thing to an "all arounder" but as you said its not the speediest thing out there. For straight up woods and trails look at something like the Traxxas TRX4 or the Axial SCX10 III.

Between the Rustler 4X4 and the Hoss Id pick the Rustler just because it has more after market support for it.

Traxxas is a good brand and you're gonna find haters out there for any brand as all RCs you buy regardless of manufacturer are going to have inherent flaws in them which is why you want to buy rigs with good after market support so when you find and break those weak pieces on whatever rig it is you can go and find strong after market upgrades to repair your rig with and make it stronger than before. honestly i think all the manufacturers do that on purpose to try to sell their after market parts.

For running through grass and go fast you're probably going to want something with big tires like an 1/8 scale monster truck or truggy . For that Id look at Traxxas Revo or Arrma Kraton 6S, just to name two off the top of my head. These kind of kits arent going to be great choices in a small back yard though. That would be more like your Rustler 4x4, Stampede 4X4, Maxx

As for streets, any of the off road rigs can be run on the street but they arent going to handle very well without some level of modification done to them or at least putting street tires on them. That why they make on-road rigs :)

Honestly theres a ton of choices out there. Figure out what terrain your most likely going to be running on. Buy a rig for this type of terrain. If you get addicted to the hobby like the rest of us you'll be buying more rigs eventually anyway and then you can start buying models for other types of terrain you want to run on.

Look around at Traxxas, Arrma, Losi, Asscoiated, Kyosho, Axial, Xray, Serpent, Mugen, Hobao, and Hong Nor, see what interests you and post it hope here and get peoples opinions on the specific kit. I say that because even though those are all hobby grade manufacturers not all rigs are created equal. I'm sure others will chime in with other brands you can look at too. These are just the ones that sprang to mind.

So I had a look at few more.
I thought Axial Ryft RBX10 4WD (after seeing rock races types) - seems like a perfect fit for me.
Than I bumped into Losi LaserNut, which seems even better - as I don't need to jump. Would that be fine in woods trails as well?
Speedwise 50Mph is more than enough. Is it possible to slow down all those RC cars, so even my 2yo can play with it for a while?

I am not sure if I am looking in the correct direction with those cars. :)
Thanks!