New to RC, want to build a quality kit, Yokomo BD10?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithmfg1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Hi. I am new to the forum and to RC in general. I've been running a Traxxas SLASH 4X4 ULTIMATE and I have an X-MAXX still in its box sitting in my closet, just don't have time to play with it yet. I have my eye on a TRX4 Bronco for some crawling fun next. But I now have the itch to build something myself.

I have been trolling the forum for build ideas: Examples:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-1-10-electric-touring-car-kit-to-build.132090/
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/building-rc-car-with-sons.132130/

I am settling on the Yokomo BD10, something different than what I have/will have. Not looking to race this, just want a high quality challenging build to run in a 60,000 SQ FT empty warehouse or in the parking lot when its not empty.

This is AMAIN HOBBIES review (
) of their Yokomo BD10 build with the following hardware:

Maclan Pico 100A ESC
Maclan MRR Team Edition V2 Motor (21.5T)
ProTek R/C 160SS Servo
MyLaps RC4 Black Transponder
ProTek R/C 2S 6300mAh LiPo
Axon 95T 64P Spur Gear
Axon 45T 64P Aluminum Pinion Gear
ProTek R/C 30mm Fan
Schumacher SST Narrow Mini Pin Tires:
Schumacher 12mm Revlite Narrow Wheels
BittyDesign JP8 Pre-Painted Body

I was thinking of just copying their build, but I thought maybe you experts have better ideas for this build.

Quoting Greywolf74: "If your gonna buy a top shelf kit then Id buy some top shelf Tekin electronics to go in it and a fast savox servo."

Any suggestions, recommendations, and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Don't worry about budget, want quality parts for quality kit.
Thank you.

why even bother with a transponder?.. Id go with a 17.5 not the 21 turn listed

Welcome to the forum! Less turns means more speed and less torque, you might want more speed for bigger areas, 17.5t is a good choice for that. You don’t need a transponder unless you are actually racing at a track. You also won’t want those pin tires as they are made for carpet and wear down quickly.

Can't offer much advice on your build but welcome to the forum, if you get the Bronco share some pics, I'll be jealous!

Hi. I am new to the forum and to RC in general. I've been running a Traxxas SLASH 4X4 ULTIMATE and I have an X-MAXX still in its box sitting in my closet, just don't have time to play with it yet. I have my eye on a TRX4 Bronco for some crawling fun next. But I now have the itch to build something myself.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-1-10-electric-touring-car-kit-to-build.132090/

I am settling on the Yokomo BD10, something different than what I have/will have. Not looking to race this, just want a high quality challenging build to run in a 60,000 SQ FT empty warehouse or in the parking lot when its not empty.

Maclan Pico 100A ESC
ProTek R/C 160SS Servo
Axon 95T 64P Spur Gear
ProTek R/C 30mm Fan

I was thinking of just copying their build, but I thought maybe you experts have better ideas for this build.

Quoting Greywolf74: "If your gonna buy a top shelf kit then Id buy some top shelf Tekin electronics to go in it and a fast savox servo."

Any suggestions, recommendations, and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Don't worry about budget, want quality parts for quality kit.
Thank you.
Welcome to RCT! Can't help with the build as I'm not into that specific area of RC, but @Greywolf74 will be a great help, he's great with electrics and stuff like that! And get that Xmaxx out for a blast! 👍

Maclan Pico 100A ESC
ProTek R/C 160SS Servo
Axon 95T 64P Spur Gear
ProTek R/C 30mm Fan

Thank you.
Maclan and Protek makes some top shelf stuff also but I'm a bit of a Tekin/Savox fanboy. If you go Tekin Id probably look at something like the RSX Pro ESCs with either their Spec-R Gen 4 17.5T or 13.5T motors. Or whatever turn rating you want. 17.5T is a solid choice, 13.5T is gonna be pretty fast. Anything under 13.5T is just depending on what level of fast you want but I personally wouldnt go down in to the single digits without some sort of specific reason.

For a Savox Servo Id probably go with a SC1267SG-BE - Black Edition High Torque Digital Servo .09/277 @ 7.4V. Id also run a 10A Castle Creations BEC.

Welcome to the forum. Whatever you decide to build, please share a build thread. Looks like it will be a fun project to watch.

Back