new to nitro and having a bit of a problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednexneffex2

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Got a new redcat lightning with a .16 engine in it.Break in went smooth and well.Had it running really well and was out for about an hour playing.Never had a single issue and ran really well.However I noticed the break was hanging up so I adjusted that just before putting it away.I waent to start it today and it doesn't want to stay running at idle.Turned idle trim up and starts and stays running until I hit the break to stop it and it dies.If I trim the idle down to where the car wont take off on its own it dies out within seconds.If I try to take off it stalls and dies almost immediately .Not sure how I can go from having so much fun to so much frustration lol.engine still has great compression. any help would be great.

Idle trim adjusts your linkage, not your carb. When your trigger is at "idle", the linkage should be gently pushing on the carb slide/arm. The idle set screw on the carb keeps it from closing further when at "idle" or brake on the transmitter.

As engines break-in, the idle usually drops some, so this is something you have to adjust periodically on the carb itself. As well as the high speed needle (HSN) and low speed needle (LSN). Nitro isn't a "set it and forget it" hobby. It's something you have to adjust daily based on the weather and ambient temps. Some engines are more fussy than others and require small adjustments throughout the day, but all engines require a little tuning almost every time you run them. The idle is usually a set and forget, but the HSN/LSN need attention as do your head temps. 210-265 is where you want to run. Much less and you will have premature wear, much more and you cook the oil in the engine so it doesn't do it's job.

Yep I got today. Had to turn the lSN in 2 turns as well as the hsn runs like a rocket but still can’t hear 2 nd gear going in like my other one. Wondering if I have a bad clutch?

Or it could be kicking in so early that your almost always in second gear. If you slowly accelerate, you should hear it then, but if you pin the throttle, you might miss it and it slips enough that you don't hear the shift.

That’s a possibility too hmm will have to check that

Back