New to metalworking any good books out there?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I've decided to quit doing computer work in my spare time, and pick up metal working. I went and purchased a decent drill press which many of you know, and am currently seeking out a milling machine, and a lathe. I was wondering if there were any good books someone could recommend on working with these machines, and doing metal fab in general. I need something for a real beginner. I have no experience with woodworking, metal working, or anything of the sort. I barely know the difference between a router bit and a tapping bit. I do plan on using the internet for information, but I would like to pic up some books on the subject as well, because I just learn better when I can actually hold the book, highlight it and etc.

This is the milling machine I have my eye on.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-high-precision-heavy-duty-r8-miniature-milling-machine,9616.html

84630_R.jpg

Last edited:
Router bits smooth edges, tapping bits make threads/or increase the diameter of existing threads.
Funny I wish I knew more about computers. I'm at the buy a lap top use it till it doesn't turn on anymore then I get a new one stage

---------- Post added at 8:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:27 PM ----------

Nice machine, birthday or Christmas present for yourself?

Haha, same reason I bought a can-am 1000 cc renegade.

Sur3fir3,I can't personally recommend any particular books for you but if have any specific questions once you get started,I'd be happy to help with some tips/pointers :thumbup:

i was a machinist at Boeing wichita. for 25 years. mostly tooling, and production. the machine rolex listed is good for a small one. the machine i last used was big enough to put 3 small cars on. and that was not the biggest one at Boeing. we had one big enough to put my machine on it.

Thanks for the advice guys, i found these books. I think they might be a decent starting point for me.

Rolex I like that machine, its within what I expected to spend, and its still large enough to performs the tasks I need to do.

I was going to say go into a college that has a good trades program, not enroll but just walk into the book store and ask them. Both colleges I've been to never once asked me if I was a student, but I'm not sure if in the states you have to have a student card to buy a textbook. I wouldn't see why you would, since the school would be making money.
I should have kept my millwright textbooks when I finished school.

Nope no mill, but I could of helped him out. I loved doing it even polishing my parts, which nobody else seemed to like. But I would work a couple of months and then get laid off that's no way to live. Industry is down where I live nobody is hiring, I live in a border town and a lot of what we where doing was going states side and I'm guessing America is keeping the work in America now. Which is smart. I figured people are always going to be getting sick so I went back to school for nursing, of course once I started school I got a job offer. I've been told the job offer will be there when I'm finished school as well, so now I got some options.

If I wanted to have something made what's a good technique. Water jet, or CNC milled, I guess what I'm asking is which is stronger? If CNC milled looks like the FLM stuff I'm quite happy with their finished product.

For now I picked up one book that is used at the local college. I got the older edition, as it was $40 vs $100. The older edition is from 2004. I figured For my uses I didnt need the 2012 edition right now. I also got the workbook to go with it. Then I picked up a book that has plans for 80+ jigs and tools, along with some introductory information. Once I get through these books I am going to pick up the book Rolex suggested.

My next 2 purchases will be an X Y Slide table, and a vise. Before I pour more money into this I feel I need to do some reading first

Go for the lathe, ill be your first customer for a custom driveshaft.

Well I have been looking around, and I have seen two different types of slide tables. One is round and has the T-slots crossing in the middle, and the other the T slots run parallel. I was wondering which would be the best for mounting Tilt, and normal vises on. I only have the drill press book atm, and it doesn't cover Slide tables. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Round table cross slide? Most round table units are rotary tables. Some have a slide on one axis so you can adjust the radius then the other handle rotates the table. Great for bolt circles if the dial is graduated in degrees. For me,I'd probably get the rectangular dual cross slide table but usually after you get one you find out the other would have been better :hehe:

Hope that helps but without knowing specifics on what you're doing it the best I can tell you.

you can get milling attachments for most lathes. AND you can do some lathe work on a mill. all the newer large machines at first sight look like a lathe , but have a milling setup build in. so you can turn then mill with out taking the part out.

Back