New Roberson Racing Gen 3 slipper clutch assembly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingtaco1472

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Has anyone tried this product out yet? I just ordered a steel spur gear because I was tired of stripping out my plastic ones. I have added so much weight to the truck it's crazy. It almost 100% metal, aluminium, carbon fiber, whatever. No plastic. Tired of breaking for no reason. Only plastic is gas tank and tranny housing and gears. Don't seem to have a problem with those. I have thousands invested and can't seem to make a couple of tanks of gas before its something else. I got tired of working on it so it just came back from the hobby shop and now this spur gear/slipper clutch issue. Will repost to see if this new part is truly the answer everyone has been looking for. I certainly hope so.

The Gen3 is a decent slipper but there is really no need for the steel spur gear.
I run a plastic spur on full aluminum Maxx's with big block engines without issue.
Good gear mesh, eliminate most of the chassis flex and set the slipper well and plastic spurs will last a long, long time.
If you do however run the steel spur, you will also need a hardened steel clutchbell (not the stock bell as they are not hardened steel).

No steel spur on this, no problems.
DSC04413.gif

Here’s a pic of a custom setup. There is an idler block consisting of 3 plastic spur gears meshed together between the 2 clutch bells and the small aluminum spur gear on the transmission.
DSC07906.gif

That’s a lot of ponies under the hood and the plastic spurs of the idler block show no signs of wear. If you look close you will also see there is no slipper clutch on that rig. It’s all in the mesh of the gears and eliminating any chassis flex or loose components like a loose engine or transmission.

Last edited:
That is nice. All I know is I bought brand new. It barely stays in 1 piece. After this break and that breaks I went nuts and bought everything. Then I got part way together and decided I wanted a. Steel center drive. Then work got busy so I just paid the hobby store to finish it and tweak it. I picked up yesterday and 5 mins later the center drive fell out the bottom. I jumped in the truck and returned to the shop. They fixed it onsite. Then I finish the half tank in it and now this spur gear/ slipper clutch issue. My slipper clutch plate that holds the pads in now in 2 pieces. I figured I am no longer paying a shop to do what I can for better. I don't race I just like to drive it fast around my house. No crazy stuff. I understand the mesh of the two gears. Use paper trick to insure its correct. I was at the store when he finished getting it done The first time a week ago and watched him strip my spur in under ten minutes. He said it's because my truck is so heavy and we needed to order a special set of gear from RR. Now thats done and now my slipper clutch is broken. I believe we did an 18 tooth bell clutch and a 60 tooth spur Not sure though. I just ordered the gen 3 which is a 58t spur. It doesn't look like the standard RR spur is gonna fit the gen 3. Sucks that my nearest hobby store is 45 mins away and the one I use is 1.5 away. EBay it is.

I was at the store when he finished getting it done The first time a week ago and watched him strip my spur in under ten minutes. He said it's because my truck is so heavy and we needed to order a special set of gear from RR.

I would forgo the hobby shop if that’s their reasoning behind a stripped spur gear.
Purchase a new stock spur, slipper clutch hub and pressure plate (#5351)and a brake disk for the 2.5 tmaxx (part # 4964). Instead of using the stock slipper pads install the brake disk in place of them. It only takes a little adjustment of the holes in the brake pad to fit it on the slipper.
Usually when the slipper hub gets broken it means someone tightened it too much.
Don’t over tighten that slipper as the design of it warps the hub and/or causes it to break.