Slipper Nut Won't Budge on 1/10 4WD Torment

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

305HemiGuy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just upgraded my 4wd Torment to brushless. In the process of doing so, I did a test run on 3S and it seems that the motor mount screw came loose, causing the gear mesh to become un-aligned & stripping the composite factory spur. I purchased a steel spur gear to replace it, but I can't get the the large nut off of the slipper that's in front on the spring. It seems to be either stuck or on there very tightly. Any suggestions on trying to remove that nut? I've thought about just ordering a completely new slipper assembly, but they're impossible to find for a 4wd Torment. Thanks.

Is there any rust on the nut or input shaft? if so I would use some penetrating fluid like PB blaster or something. Make sure you hold the spur down and not let the wheels spin while taking off the nut. I usually hold down the spur on the slipper clutch assembly.

Is there any rust on the nut or input shaft? if so I would use some penetrating fluid like PB blaster or something. Make sure you hold the spur down and not let the wheels spin while taking off the nut. I usually hold down the spur on the slipper clutch assembly.
There's no rust that I can visibly see, but based on the age and the condition I received it in, I don't think this nut has ever been turned since it was put together. I'm the second owner, I've been upgrading it slowly over time. Some penetrating fluid may definitely help. I was holding the whole assembly in my hand by the spur gear, while using a pair of pliers to attempt to turn the nut. I don't have a picture of my specific assembly, as I'm at work right now, but this is what it looks like...that large nut is the one giving me problems.

Screenshot_20230426_143849_Chrome.jpg

Heat it good with a micro torch or a hefty soldering iron perhaps? Might be thread locker on it.... :thumbs-up:
That can also work too. I watch a YouTuber: ChrisFix he works and does 1:1 cars. He has a bunch of videos and stuff on how to do stuff. Pretty cool.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. I previously tried the heat method, but that didn't seem to work. I'll try again, and also the open end wrench. On another forum it was suggested that the nut might be reverse threaded, so I may be turning in the wrong direction. If all else fails I'll just take it to the LHS 🤷‍♂️

Back