New RC vechile reccomendations for a 6 year old

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerksies

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
We got my son a Traxxas Stampede for Christmas and he really loves it. I am looking for suggestions on a new vechile for him. He wants four wheel drive.

He's a good driver I have no issues letting him run my 3s brushless vechiles that can go 50-60mph

I have one or two skate parks around, but mostly we are in the back yard jumping ramps.

The budget is about $300-400

What type does he like? Monster trucks, buggies, street runner, crawlers?
I assume the Stampede is 2wd, I would purchase a 4x4 kit so he can learn to work on them as well.
Great father/son project. I have both the Stampede 2wd and 4x4.

What type does he like? Monster trucks, buggies, street runner, crawlers?
I assume the Stampede is 2wd, I would purchase a 4x4 kit so he can learn to work on them as well.
Great father/son project. I have both the Stampede 2wd and 4x4.
He likes monster trucks, Truggies, Buggies, Rock crawlers.

Very cool, again I would suggest a builders kit so he can learn. They are very enjoyable and you can learn a lot about the rig.

The Associated MT10 is feature rich for the price. Center diff, no slipper, lights and a very good reputation for durability.

Parts are usually on-line only, but they are readily available, and it shares a lot of parts with the Pro 4 SC10.

Traxxas slash Is always the answer. Well not really but that's what I usually say. Anything Traxxas. Easy and simple. Have a 2wd slash and rustler myself. Stampede 4x4 kit or Slash kit would be a nice start for him. I had my slash since I was 7.

The Stampede 4x4 kit is a really good one, I've built two of them and the instructions are easy to understand.
Not many kits left in the market, except for crawlers. Traxxas only has their TRX-4 and 2wd Slash available as kits.

For kids, kits are just great learning tools. And yeah, it's an absolute shame so many of the great kits have been discontinued. I think all of us should seriously start a petition to send to all the RC manufacturers to start selling more kits. This hobby began with people buying RC kits. Not RTR crap.

Traxxas, Horizon, and so many of the big names out there have done away with their kits, and to me, that just shows how the world has changed. Kids these days aren't learning the skills they'll need to do well once they get out on their own. They can't cook, fix anything, or figure stuff out for themselves. I just noticed Horizon did away with the SMT10 builders kit 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It's a damn shame I tell ya. But I am serious... someone needs to send these clowns a message. Bring back the kits.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

@Zerksies
For a $300-$400 budget, that's not putting you in a very good place to buy a durable basher, especially for big jumps and skate parks. Any decent kit will be close to that price. So that leaves you RTR.

I have no experience with the CEN Racing monster trucks, but I have always thought they were great looking trucks. And they are pretty cheap.

https://www.cenracingusa.com/products/qx4-hl150
IMG_6963_1024x.jpg

https://www.cenracingusa.com/products/8960
ForbB50-1_1024x.jpg

These are brushed vehicles, so that is a downside. But for a 6 year old kid, I couldn't imagine these not putting a smile on their face. And even brushless electronics in RTR are usually crap anyway, so why pay extra for it?

Arrma Outcast 4s. This blows your budget by $50 but it's a truck he can grow into. It's also a Monster truck. I would stay away from solid axle monster trucks. A truck that spends most of its time upside down he will lose interest in fast.

For kids, kits are just great learning tools. And yeah, it's an absolute shame so many of the great kits have been discontinued. I think all of us should seriously start a petition to send to all the RC manufacturers to start selling more kits. This hobby began with people buying RC kits. Not RTR crap.

Traxxas, Horizon, and so many of the big names out there have done away with their kits, and to me, that just shows how the world has changed. Kids these days aren't learning the skills they'll need to do well once they get out on their own. They can't cook, fix anything, or figure stuff out for themselves. I just noticed Horizon did away with the SMT10 builders kit 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It's a damn shame I tell ya. But I am serious... someone needs to send these clowns a message. Bring back the kits.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

@Zerksies
For a $300-$400 budget, that's not putting you in a very good place to buy a durable basher, especially for big jumps and skate parks. Any decent kit will be close to that price. So that leaves you RTR.

I have no experience with the CEN Racing monster trucks, but I have always thought they were great looking trucks. And they are pretty cheap.

https://www.cenracingusa.com/products/qx4-hl150
View attachment 183853

https://www.cenracingusa.com/products/8960
View attachment 183854

These are brushed vehicles, so that is a downside. But for a 6 year old kid, I couldn't imagine these not putting a smile on their face. And even brushless electronics in RTR are usually crap anyway, so why pay extra for it?
You are speaking FACTS. I 💯% agree with @WickedFog on how they need to bring back the kits

Back