New nitro truck HELP!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc41

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi there

i need a new nitro truck but got stuck between these:
Traxxas revo 3.3
HPI savage x4.6
HPI savage xl

i like doing big jumps and fast off road
i dont care about money

PS: it has to be water and dust proof.

Can somebody help?

if you dont care about money get a baja. i think the savage 4.6

if you dont care about money get a baja. i think the savage 4.6

No, No...........Turn a real car into a r/c :hehe:

peeps say they don't care about cost, until they find out what the 'best' costs.

You're on the right track by sticking with the big brands. If you like a tough truck the will take the big jumps and beg for more then you want the Savage XL or the 4.6 . If speed on the dirt is more your gig then the Revo is a better choice. Now just like SSX says cost will play a big part in your choice in the long run as you bash and at times break parts (it's all part of the fun of the hobby). As far as being dust proof, good luck with that. You will always need to do some cleaning as part of regular maintenance. Hope some of this helps.

Now just like SSX says cost will play a big part in your choice in the long run as you bash and at times break parts (it's all part of the fun of the hobby). As far as being dust proof, good luck with that. You will always need to do some cleaning as part of regular maintenance. Hope some of this helps.

you pay for what you get essentially.

might be worth considering buying a 2nd hand high end known brand, saving you some cash and buying a few spares for it.

all depends what you want it for really.....if your going to beat the crap out of it bashing you want something tough as a silverback gorilla!

And as far as cleaning, dont leave it for weeks and weeks, get it cleaned regular otherwise new problems will pop up and parts may well fail early, especially if its a nitro rig....the engine needs tlc all the time :)

Any of the truck you listed are good for what you want to do.

The Savage is a tough as nails tank right out of the box. Of the two you've listed, I'd recommend the Savage X 4.6. The Savage XL has the 5.9 which is kind of hit or miss in the quality department.

My preference is the Revo 3.3. It isn't as heavy or as tough as the Savage, but these are advantages in the handling and speed department. The Revo will fly with the best of the monster trucks and handle better than almost all of them.

why does the revo cost more then the savage x4.6

Lets slim down that list.

Tmaxx 3.3 out the box pretty good truck, fun... but not tough. I've owned one and trying to do huge jumps is just something that usually breaks parts on the tmaxx.. It sort of can take a hit but for the most part hardcore bashing is usually only possible with upgraded arms and other stuff etc. Out of the box its overall a great truck.. but not tough compared to the others youve listed.

The savage 4.6 is faster, bigger feeling, much tougher, and super easy to work on. I know my name is TRX addict but after i bought my first HPI savage x 4.6 i was amazed and it still amazes me every time i drive it. I've taken it out on some giant jumps, landed on 1 wheel from 6 feet in the air with no damage .. I've taken it to skate parks off jumps that launch it 10 ft minimum and land nose first and the only thing that happened was my body clips bent.

The savage xl, well I've not owned the savage xl. My opinion on it is its forsure a cool truck.. the length and width of it gives it the cool factor and almost changes the whole scale. How ever, i have heard nothing but negative thing about its powerplant. The 5.9 seems to have reliability issues, tuning issues, and performance issues.

I personally out of the 3 would buy the savage x 4.6 again if i could.. its an amazing truck.

why does the revo cost more then the savage x4.6
The revo in my opinion is probably the best monster truck traxxas makes. Its innovative suspension and setup is one of a kind really. Its a great truck. With some RPM arm upgrades it will make it alittle tougher... My buddies have the tmaxx 3.3 and the revo 3.3 and out of those twi i would choose the revo.. its a great handling truck on our home made track.

Last edited:
I love my Revo but my Savage is built like a tank. For being strong and durable, I think I'd have to choose the Savage. For being fun, I'd choose the Revo. That Revo cost way too much. I got mine on Ebay for $200 but there's no way I'd give $500 for one.

A little research on the web for a new Revo will help get the price down. There are also used Revos and Savages in the For Sale section here from time to time. I have bought used rigs here and would do so again. The guys and gals here are straight shooters and try to offer a good deal. I wouldn't buy used truck from anywhere else.

I've never owned anything traxxas, but I've owned a Savvy .25 and the Savvy XL. If you have the cash buy the XL sell the engine new on ebay.. should get about 150 then buy a different engine. Either get one thats modded or go for an LRP.

my .02

I have a 3.3 revo, 3.3 maxx, and a savage XL and there is no way I would choose anything other than the XL for bashing. The XL is built like a tank and is in a completely different class than the REVO or T-maxx.

The 5.9 gets a bad rap but it is actually a pretty decent engine once you get it dialed in. Mine ran very hot on 20% fuel so I switched to 30% and used a McCoys mc-8 glowplug and now it runs like a champ and never gets over about 270. I also sealed it up really good and have had no problems what so ever from this truck.

I love my savage X, go for it.

Check out Losi's LST XXL! It's neck and neck with the speed and durability of the savage, and IMO, handles much better than a savage.

The Savage Xl is the way to go if you want a challenge in terms of tuning and such. I have the XL and it's a great truck but the 5.9 does get a bad rap. The XL does have alot of nice upgrades out of the box and the newer savage x 4.6 2011 did get upgraded nicely. I would say my order would be Savage X 4.6, Savage XL and then the Revo. I put the Revo last because the 3.3 has a rap for a chincy connecting rod. Just search the forum and you'll see what I mean.

HPI savage x4.6 would be my choice although youd have to waterproof it yourself.

The savage x 4.6 has water resistant servos, Unless your completely sealing them with some sort of acrylic or plasti dip.

Either way, I've taken my savage 4.6 out in pretty deep snow aswell as deep puddles and not had any issues with servos malfunctioning. I upgraded my steering servo how ever to a 255 oz tq servo because when i upgraded my wheels the stock servo just couldnt handle the weight.

Over all i dont think you have to do any additional waterproofing, i think its safe.

Savage XL LRP .32 nuff said. I have one and I can tell you for a fact that with that engine it will be plenty fast. My XL has given me many hours of trouble free bashing and plenty of big air excitement. 3 speed trans comes standard as does 3 shoe aluminum clutch bulletproof diffs and all steel dgbones. It's an awesome truck you can't go wrong with it.

Wich engine is the best:
HPI F4.6
HPI K5.6
Traxxas 3.3

And again why does the revo cost more than the x4.6

Back