New LST XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suck at landing big jumps of any kind. One dirt hill in particular I like to jump gets me anywhere from 10-14 ft in the air and yes when I break an arm from that height about 50% of the time I break the turnbuckles too.

I've run 20% and 30% fuel in mine and either is fine. The 30% of course does give it a little more power but either is good. I usually run Byrons fuel. I've run sidewinder in it too but sidewinder seems to go bad a little but faster than Byrons for me. Plus I just like Byron because if it does happen to go bad you can tell really easily because it starts turning brown.

I'm sure you'll love that kit though....the XXL and my lST2-E conversion are my two favorite kits I own.

Well I realized that I don't have a connector to charge my rx battery, doesn't matter being as I'm still in the hospital with momma and Jack, but here are more pics.

2012-02-15192238.jpg

2012-02-15192253.jpg

2012-02-15192332.jpg

2012-02-15192435.jpg

2012-02-15192445.jpg

2012-02-15192502.jpg

2012-02-15192709.jpg

Next to my Nitro Sport
2012-02-15193804.jpg
2012-02-15194002.jpg

And my T-Maxx
2012-02-15192550.jpg

And a gallon of fuel (for size comparison)
2012-02-15194104.jpg

2012-02-15194120.jpg

Last edited:
The 30% will typically burn hotter than 20% so your engine life may be a little shorter. The Dynamites are a pretty strong engine so it may not be affected to badly

30% will not burn hotter and the engine will last the same, provided it's tuned properly.

Well, I started the break in just to find that my shifter servo is dead. My LHS has a replacement coming in but it won't be here until Tuesday, looks like I better just run over whatever gets in my way until then. Quick question though, I was only able to get 1/2 way through before it stalled and I found out my igniter died. During that 1/2 the temps didn't get over 105, seems WAY too cool, I set the needles to what the book said and I found out that they were WAY richer than the said settings. When I ran it on the factory setting it went way hot, telemetry said 303 but temp gun said 260, I shut it down as fast as I could and let it cool @ bdc. I richened it up a little bit while it was cooling, next run it was still hot but I was able to richen it up while running and am keeping the temps around 170ish. Whats a good temp for this big block, also any ideas on how to get this telemetry corrected?

A little above 200 should be perfect.
I thought the xxl came stock with aluminum shock bodies?

I think in order to cost back costs for the TX and telemetry crap they did away with the stock aluminum shock bodies and the JR servos that used to come in the LST2.

Got my RCRaven dual rate springs today, just waiting on my Bad Horsie shock covers before I put them on.
2012-02-18174644.jpg

Last edited:
Schrode, Did you take my advise and turn your needles all the way in counting how many turns it took to hit bottom and then wrote that down as your stock needle settings? If so what did you come up with and what temps where you running at those settings? (Also I wouldnt rely on the telemtry info as mine is consitantly wrong when compared to both my other infrared and laser guns who are both only 3F off from each other.)

If you didnt do as I suggested about checking and writting down your stock temps when you first got the kit and messed with any needle settings try setting your HSN to flush with the needle housing and try 2.5/2.75 turns out on the LSN. Thats what ended up being a good rich (but not too rich) stock setting for my 454.

Both of the manuals are wrong. Both the XXL manual and the 454 engine manual list 2 different needle settings and neither one were right for my engine. Now it seems not everyone had this problem but alot of people did. I was one of those people that did and once I figured out these needle seetings I was about to do my first break in tank and averaged somewhere between 202-207F.

Sucks to here about your servo. The Losi servos are OK. but I would look at eventually replacing the steering servos with ultra-high torque servos. Something is the 240-300 oz/in range each. It will cost ya but the steering response will be incredable. There are other upgrades I would do first which have already been covered in some other posts prior to this one.

The stock xxl shocks are tough as hell, you won't need aluminum shocks.
If you can find a new era roll bar you won't ever notice how thin the body is.

Schrode, Did you take my advise and turn your needles all the way in counting how many turns it took to hit bottom and then wrote that down as your stock needle settings? If so what did you come up with and what temps where you running at those settings? (Also I wouldnt rely on the telemtry info as mine is consitantly wrong when compared to both my other infrared and laser guns who are both only 3F off from each other.)

If you didnt do as I suggested about checking and writting down your stock temps when you first got the kit and messed with any needle settings try setting your HSN to flush with the needle housing and try 2.5/2.75 turns out on the LSN. Thats what ended up being a good rich (but not too rich) stock setting for my 454.

Both of the manuals are wrong. Both the XXL manual and the 454 engine manual list 2 different needle settings and neither one were right for my engine. Now it seems not everyone had this problem but alot of people did. I was one of those people that did and once I figured out these needle seetings I was about to do my first break in tank and averaged somewhere between 202-207F.

Sucks to here about your servo. The Losi servos are OK. but I would look at eventually replacing the steering servos with ultra-high torque servos. Something is the 240-300 oz/in range each. It will cost ya but the steering response will be incredable. There are other upgrades I would do first which have already been covered in some other posts prior to this one.

I was going to but when I ran it the temps didn't get over 107 and I had to keep the ignitor on because it was so rich. The HSN was at about 5 1/2 and the LSN was around 4 3/4. Yea, I was planning on upgrading servos, I am looking into the "High Voltage" ones. I just need to do a little more research and see what I will have to do in order run it with the rx, not sure if it can handle the lipo or not.

I would only be concerned with the lsn and idle gap. The hsn is flush, or if it's cold outside, go out from flush. You'll know if the lsn is too lean cause it will sound like chewbacca on crack.

The main reason I was saying to check the needle settings and write them down and then set them back to the way it was before. I say this just because I had teh problem where the stock setting wasn't the settings in the manual. I played hell getting mine straighting it out for awhile. Didnt want to see you run into that same mess.

IDK that you need high voltage servos. I believe hitec I think it is makes a 300oz/in servo that is just a 6v servo. I dont suppose the hi voltage ones would be bad.

Does any one sell the new era roll bar for the lst2 any more? I have looked, but with no luck.

---------- Post added at 4:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:50 PM ----------

Nvm, I found it... http://neweramodels.mybigcommerce.com/monster-duty-steel-tube-roll-bar-w-brace/

Yea, I already ordered mine:celebrate: It's shipping tomorrow. I hope they were just waiting to update their stock status for the new site, if thats the case the Rustlers and T-Maxx will be getting the New Era treatment.

Just ordered mine. :D Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long. Will probably need to buy another one for the aftershock once it's completed.