New LST XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I am getting a new LST XXL, I am pretty excited, it will be my first non Traxxas, my first Monster Truck, my first new vehicle and my first 1/8 scale. I've been reading up on them and apparently the main thing to replace is the engine brace. Any other suggestions, and does anyone know where I can get a New Era roll bar?

My experience has been with the clutch, slipper clutch, and 2-speed tuning. I bought an m2c clutch and had to replace the slipper assembly before I got it right. If your slipper slips too much you'll get an early 1-2 shift every time you nail the gas. The best way to set your 2 speed shift point is by accelerating gradually to full speed.

My experience has been with the clutch, slipper clutch, and 2-speed tuning. I bought an m2c clutch and had to replace the slipper assembly before I got it right. If your slipper slips too much you'll get an early 1-2 shift every time you nail the gas. The best way to set your 2 speed shift point is by accelerating gradually to full speed.
I've never messed with an after market clutch, which one from m2c do you recommend? I am just going to be doing some bashing a normal driving, is this something I should plan on getting early on or will the stock one last and I can just upgrade later?

It will defiantly be a step up from traxxas.
That's what I'm hoping for. I was looking at a Revo for $580 at my LHS or this for $600, no brainer even if was the regular $670 (I think) you get more truck and a better Trx for less than $100 more. He is letting me get it a little cheaper because he knows I will beat it and let him know what parts to stock. Everybody knows that the T-Maxx and Revos are good trucks so he's just trying to mix his sales up a little bit

The stock one will last a while, but wheelies and hard launches will get it super hot.

Well it should be picking it up from my LHS on Wed, along with a new engine for my T-Maxx project and tires for my Nitro Rustler and Sport. Hopefully Traxxas doesn't take too long to send me my new VXL system I fried the one in my Bandit, this is about to be an expensive week. I plan to tear the LST down and throw some locktite on it before I run it.

Well, I plan on taking it all apart and making sure everything is nice and tight like it should be. The only other LST my lhs sold came back a few days later because one of the screws backed out of the drive shaft, so I would rather be safe before my bashing gets ended by something that dumb. Thanks for the heads up, I plan on ordering some EDS hex drivers.

---------- Post added at 7:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:37 AM ----------

What fuel does the LST like, I run Sidewinder 30% in my other engines. I know the owners manual says that the only fuel that doesn't void the warranty is Nitrotane 20%, my LHS doesn't stock it so I would have to special order it, which I'm not doing. The Sidewinder has been excellent and I haven't read anything negative about, plus it doesn't require after run oil so I can just spray WD-40 in my engine set it to BDC and call it good when I'm done.

You must understand that the xxl is locktited with red locktite, previous lst trucks came with no locktite. I would do a visual inspection before each run and call it good.

That fuel will work great, and I highly doubt Losi would ever be able to determine if their fuel was used or not.....it's just a way for them to make more money.

The main things I've had to deal with on mine is you MUST and I mean MUST repalce the arms with RPM arms....at least the fronts but preferably the backs also. repalcing the fronts also gives you camber control. Something you dont get with the regular arms.

Also the Stock 454 motors dont always have the same factory settings as the manual says. when you first get it the very first the you need to do it get a tuning screw driver and count how many turns in takes your HSN and your LSN to hit bottom. write this number down for future reference so you will always know what you factory settings are. Not all of the 454s have the same stock settings so if you rely on the manual like me you could end up playing hell trying to figure out why your XXL isnt running right.

I did break a chassis brace once but a word of caution here the screws for the chassis brace are locktighted in with red locktight as someone else mentioned. I broken 2 hex drivers and bent a third getting my undone. be careful. Id say dont even mess with it until you need to. Other than that the XXL and my LST2 Electric conversion are hands down my two favorite kits I own out of 11. I'm sure you will love it....way above Traxxas grade RC.

Locktite can be weakened with some heat, just be careful doing it. I have yet to break a stock arm, but have broken axle carriers and all 4 diff outdrive cups. I replaced those with hd pieces from and 8ight.

Any of you guys running 30%, or do yall think the LST prefers 20%? Like I said earlier I've been running 30% in my trucks up until now but I am going to be breaking in a Dynamite .19 as well as this LST so I can get 20% if its better.

Last edited:
Big blocks tend to like 30% more than 20, but 20 will work fine. I mix 20 and 30 to make 25%. It's a good compromise for all my engines.

I'm terrible at landing 14ft jumps so I break stock arms left and right.

Big blocks tend to like 30% more than 20, but 20 will work fine. I mix 20 and 30 to make 25%. It's a good compromise for all my engines.

Thanks man, I will just stick with the 30% being as it's what I've been using in my other engines anyway.

Well, I took my 2yr old to have some time alone with Daddy today. I decided to swing by my LHS and show off pictures of the new kid, plus she likes the guy who works there so she had fun. It's now official....I bought a NEW NEW RC, and it's a MT. Just a couple teaser pics

2012-02-14163328.jpg

2012-02-14163154.jpg

Last edited: