"New" Jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakEyez151

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I picked up a stock Jato 3.3 from a forum member last weekend for $160. He wanted to move onto 1/8th scale buggies. I could tell it needed atleast 1 shock rebuilt (no dampening) and it'd been driven a bit (scratches along the chassis and rear shock mount/engine head protector were worn down from slidin on its top for some distance). Still, got a great deal on this truck! Very happy.

Even tho it needed work, I was dying to drive it! I temporarily mounted a spare 1400mah hump pack onto the rear tower with zip ties. I ran it for about 10 minutes. The rear spun around everytime I got on the throttle - especially in loose dirt. I attributed this to the loose diff and the blown shock.

I couldn't wait to start working on it. Thinkin a quick shock rebuild, and i'd be runnin again, I quickly disassembled the rear shocks and began fillin them with fresh shock oil! Now, I knew the truck had a good crash, as the guy had a spare rear arm to give me with the truck. Turns out the crash was a bit more involved. When the arm busted in the crash, the shock shaft was bent slightly. The action was rough, which caught my attention. I re-inspected the other rear shock, and noticed that the X-Ring was in the wrong spot and wasn't sealin the shock. (Only previous experiance I had w/ GTR was changing shock oil in my Revo) After rebuilding it still leaked. I must had ripped the ring not knowing to put it over the shaft, then installing it in the body (shaft-threads tore the seal apparently, causing the leak).

This was not good! I wasn't going to be able to put the Jato back together! I couldn't leave the truck like that! I rushed to the LHS. I go in there enough, so they let me behind the counter to search for parts. They didn't have the stock shock shafts, and they only had 1 package of the Ti-Ni Shafts.(I think to myself, "This sucks. I'm gonna have to run to HobbyPeople now! I can't have 2 TiNi shafts, and 2 stockers!"). I grabbed those and continued siffting through their sliding displays. Snagged 2 packages of the shock boots. Woohoo! That'll protect these new shafts. Ah, those pretty red camber links! Just as I was finishing up, I noticed behind a top plate bag, they had the Hard Anodized GTR shocks! Well now, I have to get these... So I put back the TiNi shafts, and the rebuild kit i'd come across.

I was on a strict time line! It was after 12, and my girlfriend was gettin home at 2! I rushed home and quickly got to work! I had to pull the grey piston from the stock shocks to use them in my new Hard Anno GTRs (which came with Revo pistons) filled them up w/ 35wt oil and reassembled! First shock was a pain, as I forgot to put the new bottom cap on before inserting the shaft among other things... 2nd assembly much faster.

Since I'm working out of town this week, I packed up my Jato, some tools, my bag of parts and some clothes! First night I had the diff rebuilt (which itself had no fluid left in it) with 50k fluid, had the rear shocks and the new turnbuckles installed. I also did a scrub down on the truck and noted a few more parts to replace. I found it interesting that the trans smelled like there had been trany fluid ran in it. The gears were shiny and appeared moist. I tried to whipe the gears off, but didn't accomplish much as I hadn't split the case. I blew graphite into the trany and made sure the gears had a fine coat, including the diff gear. I quickly reassembled the truck and I was done for the night.

Second night I was here, I tore out the tray, cleaned everything down and reassembled. That was far too easy, so I removed the front end and replaced the turnbuckles, then rebuilt the front shocks. By eye, i did a little bit of camber adjustments, but I didn't touch the toe. Now I'm bored with nothing else to do but make plans on how to spend my money!

Originally I wasn't going to spend money on it - Just bash it around. On the way up here I thought to myself "maybe this'll be my 'Bling' truck. The one that gets all the nice fancy hop up since my Losi and Revo are gettin modded for racing". More i look at this, and whats available - the more I wanna race it. Especially since my buddy talks so much smack about Traxxas and the Jato (he's an Associated guy) I want to get this truck runnin on a track to whoop on him. I plan on gettin a Single-Speed Conversion. Also, I think this 3.3 is going to be WAY too powerful for track, so I may swap it out with the 2.5r in my Revo (I believe they'll both be direct swap-outs? Correct me if I'm wrong) or maybe installing my .15 CV-X? I dont plan on buyin another .12 till I know I want to get serious about racin. Bit worried about those new turnbuckles I bought - didn't realize they were HALLOW Aluminum till I read it on a board lastnight. Should had done more research apparently... If they break too easy, I'll go to Lunsford.

What do you guys think? Motor swap? .15 CVX or 2.5r? Direct fit or a PITA to do? I haven't a clue... Thinkin about pickin up those Traxxas "Dished" wheels and maybe tossin on some step pins or gladiators with ribs up front - anybody try those yet? I read a post that these were weak, traxxas states "lightweight and strong". Should I just stick with the 2.8s/Victories? The hump pack is now zip'd to the rear "bumper" GT-style. Anybody else got a better method? This an alright idea, or should I shell out the $30 for a flat-pack and use the intended mount?

This is long enough! Thanks guys,
Mike

I have not owned a JATO but I have heard from others that the pack has two locations and they both were well thought out and are a great location?

As for the tires I had good luck with them when I attemped to race my 2.5 rustler, which had way too much power for the track, but most guys seem to like the Bowties but that is Minnesota dirt?

I'll continue here instead of starting a new thread...

On the Jato, When I first got it, I had problems with rear traction. Get on the throttle, and the rear end pulls around the front. I rebuilt the shocks, put Traxxas 50k wt diff fluid in the diff, and swapped the 3.3 out for the smaller 2.5r. Runnin it, well, anywhere - and the rear end still pulls around.

I put 50k in the diffs thinking that'd keep them solid and push it straighter - Could this be my problem? I may try rebuilding with some 10k, and see if that helps (maybe with a wheel spinnin, the other will lose power, keepin it straight?)

Thanks!
Mike

Well, Project Revo has been completed (thus far) and now I've got time for my Jato. I pulled out the diff tonight and replaced the lube with 10k. I've replaced the rear diff cover with a new one (as the old had stripped screw-holes) and I put in a 5 degree block.

I double checked my camber and toe - Front has 1 degree negative camber, and 1 degree toe in. The rear has 5 degree toe in (per plate) and 3 degree negative camber. Rear sits with drive shafts level, and front slightly higher. Hopefully this will solve my problem of the rear end spinnin to the right when I punch the throttle.

~ Mike