new esc for xmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristoffer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
  6. Boating
now has the xmaxx esc given up, which esc should I go for, have looked at the Hobbywing EzRun Max6 160A Brushless ESC 3-8S, is this good enough, does anyone have any experience

do you use the stock motor? do i need to buy new batterys or can i use the 4s traxxas ones?
Yes I use a stock motor and the esc comes without a connector. You will have to solder it on.
Technically the Xmaxx is a 1/6 truck.
I started out with a 100kkv HW motor but because of the size of the can, I had limited range with different size gears.
That's when I decided to buy the stock motor. I bought it pretty reasonably priced from Jenny's RC.

Last edited:
Technically the Xmaxx is a 1/6 truck.
Traxxas doesn't really state the exact scale, but it's approx the same size as most of the other 1/5 scales on the market. Had this convo with a couple other people over the last couple of years. Here is my response from another post, slightly updated.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you can't make a MAX 6 work, but my concern is that you are putting a heavy load on a MAX 6 and the MAX 5 could handle the load a lot better.

"Here are the dimensions of 7 different 1/5 scale rigs, including the XMAXX. The L x W x H measurements are all within about 3 inches or so of each other between all 7 rigs except for the Challenger which is a fair bit longer than the others but still close in width, height, and weight. Every company on this list states that their kit is 1/5 scale except Traxxas who doesn't tell us what scale It's supposed to be, but it's the same basic size as all the rest of these. It's longer than 2 of the other 6 rigs, It's wider than 4 of the other 6 rigs, and it's the tallest out of all 7 rigs. Granted it is the lightest out of all 7 rigs but its only a few pounds lighter than half of the other 1/5 scale rigs. Explain to me how the XMaxx isn't a 1/5 scale?
(Yes, I know that real scale isn't applicable to the RC world, and I'm not talking about real scale. My point is that it's the same basic size as all of these other 1/5 scale rigs)

All dimensions are given in inches

XMAXX:
Measurements: 30.7 x 21.3 x 13.8

Weight: 19.1 lbs

Kraton 8S:
Measurements: 29.92 x 23.7 x 10.47
Weight: 24.2 lbs

Baja 5b:
Measurements: 32.16 x 18.89 x 10.03
Weight: 21.3 lbs

Redcat Rampage XT :
Measurements: 29.52 x 21.25 x 12.59
Weight: 23.1 lbs

Losi DBXL-E 2.0:
Measurements: 33.25 x 19.5 x 12.5

Weight: 28.3 lbs

Exceed Hannibal:
Measurements: 31.88 x 23.62 x 12.79"
Weight: 31.46 lbs

Primal RC Dodge Challenger:
Measurements: 39.5 x 15.6 x 11.5"
Weight: 25 lbs

Last edited:
Personally, I'd agree with G.W. and get the Max5 if I were set on hobbywing. I killed a max6 pretty quick running the hobbywing 1100kv motor. If you intend to mod the xmaxx at all or add any weight, then the max 5 will be your best option.

That being said, the castle creations XLX2 is better than either of those 2 options but it isn't cheap. Better warranty though and castle will take your burnt up traxxas esc in trade to make it almost $100 cheaper.

I don't doubt the Max 5 is better. I just mentioned I use the Max 6 and stock motor with no issues.
OP asked if anybody had experience with the Max 6.

Personally, I'd agree with G.W. and get the Max5 if I were set on hobbywing. I killed a max6 pretty quick running the hobbywing 1100kv motor. If you intend to mod the xmaxx at all or add any weight, then the max 5 will be your best option.

That being said, the castle creations XLX2 is better than either of those 2 options but it isn't cheap. Better warranty though and castle will take your burnt up traxxas esc in trade to make it almost $100 cheaper.
I would also go the XLX2 route if money allowed. It's only another $50, and I've gotten it for just $5 more than a MAX 5 before when they're on sale.

I think the main reason a Max 6 is popular is that it can mount where the original ESC goes, whereas a Max 5 will require some modification or a separate mount. Usually higher up and making the CG higher on a somewhat tippy truck. No doubt a Max 5 can handle more power, but from my research it's not required with the stock motor.

Last edited:
...castle will take your burnt up traxxas esc in trade to make it almost $100 cheaper.
I haven't heard of this. I've only read that Castle ESC's have a core value. Where do I find information about trading in a Traxxas ESC?

I haven't heard of this. I've only read that Castle ESC's have a core value. Where do I find information about trading in a Traxxas ESC?

The only way I've done it is in person. Their HQ is only a 45 min drive from me, just north of Kansas City Kansas. I'm sure thats not an option for everyone but i recommend it if you can. They have a lot of cool toys there and all the employees are super friendly. Id say to give them a call if you dont see anything on the website.
20230621_143840.jpg
20230621_143804.jpg

They actually run these cars too

20230621_143746.jpg

They will also give you half off if you need a replacement after the warranty expires

Last edited:
Back