New Common RC Connector Pic

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've compiled a list of some of the more (or less) common RC connectors. If anyone can think of one that deserves to be on the list please shout it out and Ill see about adding it to the pic. If you see any that are not named properly please point that out as well. :)

Ill most likely add Traxxas ID and IC5 connectors. Didnt think of those at the time.

RC Connectors.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the XT90s, it's all I use.

QS8 I need to add but I didnt add EC2, EC5, EC8, XT30, XT90, or XT120 are all the same basic connector and would just clutter the pic imho. Maybe I could just add the additional names under the connector pics?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.

Definitely going to be using this. Xt90, EC5 and spectrum IC connectors are missing but they are all similar to their others like xt60s and ec3. I see you added banana plugs. Maybe add bullet connectors? 5mm and 4mm are most common for battery and motor connections. Again 4mm bullet connectors are the same as 5mm. The only thing that is different is the size just like xt90s and xt60s etc.
The main connectors I use are
Xt90
Xt60
Traxxas
5mm and 4mm bullet
Deans (for charging only)
EC2 (for the mini b)
Never heard of a MT connector before. Looks just like XT connectors but MT is 3 prong and XT is 2 prong.
Well I dont have batteries with XTs, I have all traxxas and in my cars with the hobbywing systems I just use a XT90 or XT60 to traxxas adapter.

Last edited:
Yeah, the connector conundrum has me jammed up. Trying yet again to standardize on one style. Presently in use are Dean's, XT-90 and recently introduced IC3 and IC5. Basher stash has a selection of connectors reflecting what Wolfie posted up.

Going with the new Dean's Hi-Temp as the standard. Retiring the XT-90. Isolating the IC-series to one model. Hopefully, this puts paid to the connector madness-at least for my applications.

Will hold onto the boxful of adapters made over the years. Usually test out a new battery or ESC using factory installed connectors before changing.

Thanks for posting up the images with ID, Wolfie. Cheers. 'AC'

Updated connector pic.

Never heard of a MT connector before. Looks just like XT connectors but MT is 3 prong and XT is 2 prong.
The MT connectors are used on 1/10 scale kits as motor wire connectors.

Yeah, the connector conundrum has me jammed up. Trying yet again to standardize on one style. Presently in use are Dean's, XT-90 and recently introduced IC3 and IC5. Basher stash has a selection of connectors reflecting what Wolfie posted up.

Going with the new Dean's Hi-Temp as the standard. Retiring the XT-90. Isolating the IC-series to one model. Hopefully, this puts paid to the connector madness-at least for my applications.

Will hold onto the boxful of adapters made over the years. Usually test out a new battery or ESC using factory installed connectors before changing.

Thanks for posting up the images with ID, Wolfie. Cheers. 'AC'
I tried for the hardest time to not use anything but Deans but I can't seem to keep it stickly Deans. The Deans are the main connectors that I use but I've gone to EC5 of the 1/5 scale and some of the small stuff I have to use smaller connectors. Like on my mini -B and mini T 2.0 I use EC2s.

Only have four active RC's. Two MT10 and two 2WD Rustler. Makes standardizing Dean's easier on three of the four.

Odd one out of the four is the R43X street and grass speed Rustler. Power unit is factory IC3 'smart' connectors. 2S and 3S batteries and 85A ESC are IC3 smart connectors. That and the 100W 'smart' charger has factory IC3/IC5 device connections. Something I'm trying to see how I like it. Won't be changing anything until it all gets sorted out.

Of note when soldering up an IC3 / 4mm bullet battery adapter. Using the same soldering technique used on Dean's for years, the IC3 connector plastic softened and allowed the contact to displace forward and project out of its protective shell. Strange. That puts paid to making any battery adapter cables for now. Maybe re-visit it later. Maybe. Nuff said on that.

Cheers. 'AC'

Only have four active RC's. Two MT10 and two 2WD Rustler. Makes standardizing Dean's easier on three of the four.

Odd one out of the four is the R43X street and grass speed Rustler. Power unit is factory IC3 'smart' connectors. 2S and 3S batteries and 85A ESC are IC3 smart connectors. That and the 100W 'smart' charger has factory IC3/IC5 device connections. Something I'm trying to see how I like it. Won't be changing anything until it all gets sorted out.

Of note when soldering up an IC3 / 4mm bullet battery adapter. Using the same soldering technique used on Dean's for years, the IC3 connector plastic softened and allowed the contact to displace forward and project out of its protective shell. Strange. That puts paid to making any battery adapter cables for now. Maybe re-visit it later. Maybe. Nuff said on that.

Cheers. 'AC'
I've never tried soldering an IC connector. if it melts faster than a Deans or an XT then thats pretty bad imho

Watched the Spektrum vid on You Tube for soldering an IC(series) connector. That was before soldering mine. Demonstrator was using like a Weller pencil tip iron. I use a Hako station with broad tip. He was soldering 13ga. Adapter I was making was 12ga.

Maybe the pencil tip concentrates the heat more than my broad tip Hako? Thereby preventing a softening and subsequent push through. Want to give the IC3 the benefit of the doubt until trying "their" method. Next time I'll try a pencil iron.

Watched the Spektrum vid on You Tube for soldering an IC(series) connector. That was before soldering mine. Demonstrator was using like a Weller pencil tip iron. I use a Hako station with broad tip. He was soldering 13ga. Adapter I was making was 12ga.

Maybe the pencil tip concentrates the heat more than my broad tip Hako? Thereby preventing a softening and subsequent push through. Want to give the IC3 the benefit of the doubt until trying "their" method. Next time I'll try a pencil iron.
Let me know how that turns out. If that works better than maybe Ill try that next time I solder up an XT connector cuz I sometimes have the same issue with those.

Hi everyone. I just found a XT90S that has a built in item, not sure if it is a resistor or a small capacitor, to eliminate sparking when you connect plugs.
Anyone find that sparks can damage the plugs?

Hi everyone. I just found a XT90S that has a built in item, not sure if it is a resistor or a small capacitor, to eliminate sparking when you connect plugs.
Anyone find that sparks can damage the plugs?
it can if the voltage is high enough but 6S/8S isnt generally an issue. I just try to push them together as fast as possible.

Anyone try using a lubricant on the connectors, especially the bigger ones helps with the ease of connecting and disconnecting them?
Man, some of my connectors are very tight and hard to pull apart?

Anyone try using a lubricant on the connectors, especially the bigger ones helps with the ease of connecting and disconnecting them?
You can use dielectric grease.

If you bash hard that might actually work against you in terms of the connectors coming apart on their own but other than that, Id give it a try

Last edited:
All depends on what connector you are talking about. You can adjust the tightness of a lot of connectors just by using something (needle nose pliers) to "bend" the prongs on the male end closer together. If you go too far, you can use a pointed object to spread the prongs.

Last edited:
I've compiled a list of some of the more (or less) common RC connectors. If anyone can think of one that deserves to be on the list please shout it out and Ill see about adding it to the pic. If you see any that are not named properly please...

I found a new connector... an etilf-E 5CE. :doh: :wacky: I know connectors are almost self explanatory, but a simple piece of paper with a couple of pictures/diagrams, and notes, would help some people...
1674303242179.png

The picture above just reinforces my thoughts on why I don't trust people building/working on my RCs for me. Nowadays... a little bit of interweb time could save some folks from embarrassment.

Back