new camera for the wife

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergoff

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well our 10 year anniversary is on thursday. I was going to get her some jewelery but her camera is freaking out and we're going to St. Louis this weekend. I bought her a Nikon s8200. This camera is awesome. I had to open it up and play with it. She wanted a SLR but they are huge and I don't want her to have to carry around her purse and a camera bag. This is my first camera with this many features and its killing me not giving it to her I hope that she likes it. I know alot of you guys are into photography and she has been wanting to get into it herself for sometime.

If she is wanting to get into photography she needs a SLR. Your simply not going to get the degree of options that are available with SLR. If you want her to have something that she can carry get her a compact camera in the 200 range then a nikon D5001 or a Canon Rebel XS. Both are good entry level SLR with all the features you need to get started.

Very nice, good for you bergoff. There's nothing wrong with the 8200 at all, and no need to buy an SLR until you know if she's going to stick with it or not. Nothing worse than a $1500 camera bag full of gear that never gets touched. Besides, you can hand someone with a good eye a P&S, and hand someone without an SLR and the pictures taken with the P&S will always be better. I have some great shots I've taken with a $99 camera as the old saying hold true; the best camera is the one that's with you.

Good choice on the one you got. It's a Nikon and the features it has far outweighs the cost and size of an SLR. I know she'll enjoy it.

So far she loves it. She was playing with all the features in the car on the way to St. Louis. We're going to the arch and the brewery later this morning so she will have fun shooting some pictures.

Back