New Buggy "Mayhem" from Sportwerks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBlazer

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Buggies are getting pretty damn popular these days. We all know why, the jump higher, turn better, and fly further than any other off-road RC period. So question is do we benifit from all these new buggies on the market, well this guys take is hell yes we do! It's going to drive down the price and drive up the compitition!

Horizon Hobby

Huh how did this get under the radar?

1310-SWK1150-main.jpg

The new Mayhem Pro ARR (SWK1150) with .21 engine.

"Sportwerks Unleashes the Mayhem"

"May of 2004 Horizon Hobby's newest brand Sportwerks™ will hit the ground running with its first release, the Sportwerks Mayhem™ Pro 1/8 scale 4WD buggy.

The Mayhem will initially be released in two ARR (Almost-Ready-to-Run) versions with a full RTR (Ready-To-Run) soon to follow. The SWK1100 Mayhem Pro will come factory-assembled with pre-cut body and ready for your choice of engine and pipe, while the SWK1150 version will sport all of the same features plus the addition of a powerful race-legal Sportwerks .21 engine and high-volume tuned pipe. The RTR Mayhem will retain many of the same features as the Pro version but have the benefit of JR Racing's FM XR3i computer radio system and added kick of the Sportwerks .26 electric-start engine.

Making of the Mayhem Pro

The Mayhem Pro is designed to compete against the top 1/8-scale buggies in the world. Every detail has been conceived with the racer in mind.

The Chassis
All of the Mayhem Pro's major chassis components, like the 3mm chassis plate, 4mm shock towers, steering rack and radio tray, are machined from heavy-duty 7075 T-6 aluminum that's been hard-anodized and, where possible, scalloped to reduce mass and weight. Other top-drawer components include the hex head chassis screws (no cheap Phillips heads to strip out), a billet machined upper hinge pin brace and a revolutionary fuel tank that actually prevents a lean "bog" fuel condition after a fuel stop.

The Suspension
The Pro utilizes ultra long suspension technology to provide smooth handling and tackle the roughest track conditions. A unique combination of hard-anodized aluminum pillow balls with steel inserts reduces weight and friction up front, while the ultra long rear H-arms lock down the back end. Beefy threaded shock bodies along with super durable heavy-duty 3.5mm shafts soak up the bumps and add strength and reliability for long grueling
A-mains. "

1310-SWK1150-top.jpg

Overhead view of the Mayhem Pro chassis.

1310-SWK1150-shock.jpg

An ultra long suspension and big shock bodies add strength and reliability.

"The Differentials
The Mayhem's diffs are super compact, lightweight and practically bulletproof. They come factory-assembled with the proper diff oils (7000wt center, 5000wt front, and 1000wt rear) to get you on the track fast. Each features steel gears concealed in easy-to-maintain, easy-to-lube cases and O-ring sealed out drives for the transfer of power.

For most buggies, parts like these would be expensive aftermarket upgrades, but with the Mayhem Pro everything we've told you about here is standard equipment.

Experience the Mayhem for Yourself
If you've always wanted to experience the thrill of driving a thoroughbred 1/8 4WD buggy, but were put off by "thoroughbred" price tags, your wait is over. Stop by your nearest Sportwerks dealer and see for yourself just how affordable a race-winning 1/8 buggy can be."

1310-SWK-engine.jpg

The .21 engine and tuned pipe is a powerful and race-legal combination.

saw it at rcx and it looked pretty sweet. too much $$ though. hopefully price will go down.

horizon is already out of stock on it

I don't think it's out yet.

The ARR is $389. From what I can gather that's everything minus the radio. Not a bad deal at all, but not a steal by any means.

no the 389 one is without motor and pipe which isnt too bad but the one with no radio and includes the motor and pipe is 529$ i think it said on horizon. the rtr will be more because it comes with jr xs3 radio:yes:

how much for the RTR? maybe i'll have to wait for that one.

Yea, This looks really nice. It got good reviews in the july issue of RC Driver as well. I am on the fence. Revo or 1/8 scale (hyper 7 or sportwerks Mayhem). Such tough decisions!!
J~

haha, it didnt slip under the radar humbolt, it's projected date is the same time as the new white lighting fuel that horizon is coming out with, one o my pals has one on order, we'll see what it's like when it starts shipping.

-Will-
www.WilzWerx.com