need help with my maxx...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niffken

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was jumping today (you can check out the vid in the general chaos forum) and everything was fine. I was burning the rest of my tank making a few laps etc. I tried to go from a stand still and nothing happened. the engine rev'd but it did not move. It was kind of dark so i could not trouble shoot. Can you give me some suggestions on what to do to try and trouble shoot this problem.(in the morning) I think it is the transmission!!!!any tips?

What was your maxx doing just before it stoped going??? Did you try to put it in reverse or into forward.

After any jumping, large or small, it is wise to do some serious post flight checks to make sure everything is still tight.

Since this is your first venture into flying, i would say to check your spur to clutch bell gear mesh. You may have gotten some chassis flex or something else that caused the engine to backaway from the spur. This will give you lots of revs but no movement as the gears become completely separated or the bad mesh causes the engine to eat the spur gear.

Next, I would check the drive line. Check to make sure all of the drive shafts (particularly the center ones) are still firmly attached to their designated cups.

Next, I would look into the tranny or diffs for damage. When you use the throttle and brakes to control attitude in flight, if you don't remove the control input prior to landing, the different loads on the diffs and tranny can cause bad things.

Bottom line, check gear mesh, spur gear strippage, drive shaft integrity, then gut the tranny and diffs for problems...

Start with the easy stuff first.
Clutch, Spur gear, Slipper, and gear mesh.

And if all else fails try flipping the thumb switch 3 or 4 times to see if its just stuck out of gear.

i forgot to mention...(slapping myself in the back of the head)I have checked the mesh (1 st thing i did)and the bell, i also checked the diffs. What i did to check the diff is i secured all the wheels and then turned one of them (did this for each tire full rotations) I tried to put some pressure on the diff ( i have seen bad diff before) it didnt seem to have any problems. This happend about 30 minutes after the jumping session.

thanks for all the input I am going to check everything you all mentioned above again before i dive into the tranny.

Is the tranny a hard fix?

what i did not try is to flip the forward revers switch

It’s not to bad, take pictures with your digital cam or video so you can remember how to put it back together.

You may want to install a forward only kit if you don’t use reverse. Doing this will remove about 50% of the parts in your transmission and give you much more response.

Tomorrow I will give you my lecture on properly adjusting your slipper so this wont happen again.

If you secured all tires and were then able to freely rotate one tire for a full rotation, then you have found part of your problem...

The diffs, if they were fine, should have prevented you from being able to rotate one tire for a full rotation with the other three unable to move. Rotating one tire will cause at least one other tire to rotate. If the other three are firmly secured (can't rotate), then fourth one will not be able to rotate for a full turn. You may have smoked your diffs.

fastest eddy your read my mind!!!!! I was going to put in my last post that i think the problem steamed from a tight slipper.

Nobody mentioned Clutch? I've sometimes seen clutches act wacko when they heat up really bad. (usually an indicator of a going clutch or spring) Just one more thing to look at.

Also, whenever your gassin it and nothings moving, its a good idea to take a look at the CVD's and make sure all your pins are still in. Sometimes those go 'bye-bye' after good flight.

Last but not least, if you still have forward/reverse then put it in and out of forward a few times to make sure the fork wasn't jammed up.

Spurs, clutch bells and mesh are always your first line of business.

Do you have a FOC installed?

just woke up. In a few I am going to test all sugestions. Thanks again for the tips. I will be back

I went and checked eveything listed above. I am really convinced it is my gear box. When i shift into forward/reverse i can see the drive shaft trying to move (i think the gear box sounds louder also). I am off to get rr gears. I hope the tranny doesn't take to long to fix. Before I buy the gears I am going to have the lhs confrm the problem if he can.

I took the tranny out and went to my lhs. I walked in and said i need some rr gears for the tranny. He then took my tranny from me opened it up, pulled it apart, and the peg where the syntripical (sp) force clutch catches was broke. He walked to the shelf got the rr gears and put them in and closed the tranny. Total cost was 46 bucks. 40 bucks for the gears (2 x 19.95) and 6 bucks for the lunch i bought him for not charging me. I know it wasn't a real big deal (took him less then 5 min all said and done) but he does have tons of cars that he needs to fix that people left for him and he always takes good care of me (like on sundays when he closes at 3 and i call at 3:30 for a part he always will let me come and buy it.) Anyway thanks for all the help guys. Let this be another example of why to support your local hobby shop. Thanks cruizin with r/c's

Glad your back on the road so to speak. And it sounds like you have got a real good hobby shop there.

I know it's a day late and a dollar short but in my many jumping sessions I have found that things just rattle loose. I would advise using blue locktite on all nuts and bolts to include the tranny mounts. One more thing I would also recommend would be a forward only tranny since some landings are not as good as others and you can grind gears that way if it pops outof forward and into reverse during a really hard landing.

Back