Need help finding a new motor!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetmaxxman2016

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 9t speed gem that is fryed, it probably only has 40 runs and is now dead.
I looking a motor that is like no more then $70 and 9T that will last a good 250 run times be for I go and replace the Armature.

it just seams like i have to keep buying new motors left and right.
I'm looking for a motor that will last a long time.

Well, you have a couple options...

One, you can go with another brushed motor, and invest in a Comm Lathe (which will give you a lot more runs, but you have to cut the comm every 10 runs or so, so at best, you're looking at around 120 runs).

or Two (the cheapest overall), you can go brushless, which you don't have to buy brushes, cut any comm, or do any major maintenence.

A 9T motor that will run for 250 runns! :whack:

First off you must check your comm and brushes after each run,just a visual inspection.After a few runns you should clean the comm or at elast make sure its clean and not black from arcing.

Second from time to time depending on how hard you run your car you will have to cut the comm.A 9T motor will never,ever last as long as a stocker 27T one or even more a classic Mabuchi RS540.

As the heat,wear and stress is much higher.The fewer turns the more stress when the motor works.

Maintaining a clean comm,clean and oiled bearings(with the apropriate oil)and using a lathe to cut the comm when needed and the correct spring/brush combo all helps prolong motor life.

But 250 runns is a mighty big task.Uless ran mildly IMO and you do not buy a 9T hot motor for mild speed.:hi:

how do i cut the comm, and can i buy new comm for my motor?

I have called Trinity and they said that they don’t carry any comm.’s for the speed gems. I asks them so how do you repair the motors that are sent to you and they could not answer.:ponder2:

Is a brushless motor as Durable as a gas motor? I have 2 3800 mlh batteries, can I
runs both batteries one after another with out over heating the motor?

I'm looking for a new motor for my rustler.

Last edited:
To cut the comm, you'll need a comm lathe. Here is an example of one;

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXA241&P=7

And Trinity was handfeeding you a load of BS:

D6 9Turn single arm:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFZR3&P=7

Speed Gem 10T arm:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEPG8&P=7

Now, to cut the comm, you put that arm on a lathe, and the copper part (the comm) is what you cut. You literally take less than a hair off at a time. Just enough to get it back into 'true'.

can I replace the comm?
where can i buy new comm's?

thetmaxxman2016 said:
can I replace the comm?
yes. just remove the brush springs, pull the brushes back a little, undo the two phillips screws between the + and - tabs, and lift right up. Make sure you remember which side the + and - are on (mark the can with a marker before removing the endbell).

thetmaxxman2016 said:

See the links above. You can only buy the comms' on an armature. You cannot replace the comm by itself.

Brushless motors will last a good deal longer,this is if cooled well and the bearings kept clean(within reason).

Enemy number one of brushless motors is heat,as these have a great power/size ratio.And this equates heat as the motor has to deliver the goods.

Plus you need a ESC for brushless motors,you can also find ESC's designed for both brushed and brushless(LRP and Novak to name a few).

In terms of hours of operation a maintained and well cooled brushless should last longer than a nitro engine and the classic brushed motors(even with comm cut and maintained).

thetmaxxman2016 said:
can I replace the comm?

you can not just replace a comm w/o rewinding the armature.... look closely at the pics, the wires of the armature are wound on the tangs of the comm then they are welded

i agree, if you can afford the initial cost. the brushless systems are the way to go
check out the novak brushless systems..there around $210

Team Checkpoint mod motors got good reviews,I am looking to buy two for my on road Xray.

How it will hold up? Cannot say,so far all the motors I have and had from Trinity/Reedy/Orion have caused me no trouble.

With the minimum care any brushed motor needs you should be fine.

Back