Need advice for a future off road purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rolex and Lessen for your feel back.

I looked at the prices for the Revo 3.3 and it's almost $700 bucks for a RTR package...that's kinda way to steep out of my price range. The T Maxx 3.3 is around $420 bucks as a RTR package.

I know and am aware that I will need to but other " start up" items as nitro fuel, extra glow plugs, etc. I had a street car and needed to do the same.

How does the HPI Savage compare or stand up to against any Traxxas nitro monster truck? I'm gonna try find a website to get some more details and compare, but would like to hear from owners or previous owners as to the pros and cons of what they had. That be cool to get that perspective :)

I hate to sound like a pest, but how does the HPI Savage stand up to jumping, wheelies, off road conditions, on road conditions, is there a lot of after market and replacement parts easy to find and obtain, and does it come with an EZ start feature or sort like Traxxas? On my street car, I went through about 17 pull cords before I got so frustrated and installed the tiger drive which wasn't the greatest, but at least I didn't have to replace a pull cord after one pull (no matter how gently I pulled). I saw video on youtube with someone using the EZ starter and was stunned to see how quick the truck started and was good to go!

700 bucks where are you looking? You could drive a new revo today for 600 bucks if you looked around. That's a gallon of fuel, sales tax, batteries. I would definetely forget about that creek too. You'll kill it driving through water. As for strength I would say revo and savage are about equal.

Hey guys,

I just had a thought after doing much internet searching and watching videos, and a thought came across my mind. Would a nitro buggy meet the criteria I set forth in my initial post...with all the off roading, jumping, occasional street use, or should I stick to getting a MT. I've fallen in love with the HPI Savage x 4.6 but with the RTR combo and the other basic start up things I need...I'm looking at $500+ the cheapest...and that's through tower hobbies. So is a buggy an option, or should I still aim for a MT?

As always, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback :)

Get an MT for sure. Try RC planet or Ebay, tower is usually high. And the x4.6 is a great choice.

It really depends on where you want to run it. Something that can run anywhere is a MT. A buggy is durable, but is more limited to where you can run it. Sure, you can run a buggy in tall grass (typical 3-4 inch grass), but it causes a lot of drag and makes it run hot. Also they don't do well in snow at all.

I think if your in it to bash, a MT is your best choice. If you don't have the $ to buy what you want, save longer or you will regret it. Getting a second choice due to funds usually ends up with me regretting, selling (at a severe loss) and buying my first choice anyway.

It really depends on where you want to run it. Something that can run anywhere is a MT. A buggy is durable, but is more limited to where you can run it. Sure, you can run a buggy in tall grass (typical 3-4 inch grass), but it causes a lot of drag and makes it run hot. Also they don't do well in snow at all.

I think if your in it to bash, a MT is your best choice. If you don't have the $ to buy what you want, save longer or you will regret it. Getting a second choice due to funds usually ends up with me regretting, selling (at a severe loss) and buying my first choice anyway.

I think you said it well olds. I think I might as well try to get the savage...I'll just have to cut some corners here and there I guess to get the needed fund-age lol. The only downer about this hobby is it's expensive..but then again...drag racing my z28 is expensive too...but I do get a lot of financial help from sponsorship deals I have and shops who toss me free parts, tires, and do prep and repair work for me.

go for the savage m8 there great i had one about 6mths ago but if your worried about the price tag go for a hyper 7 thay are great on road and handle rough terrain and jumps well too:D