Imagine if you…

• Thread starter Lostinthewoods86
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostinthewoods86

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
were just starting out into RC and looking to start your collection. You have $1500-$2000 to play with…the only truck in your lineup is a T-maxx 2.5…you want another nitro truck (or 2 😂) and a battery truck or 2…you also need a battery system to start with…all off-road use (back yard, open field and timber) these will be just for you and your 9 yo son (and 7 yo daughter) to bash around with. Monster trucks, SCTs?, crawlers…

How would you do it?

I can't comment on the nitro's, but I always liked the HPI Savage.

For electric, maybe an LMT Grave Digger and a Traxxas UDR or Losi Baja Rey.

If I owned my own place and were able still, I would definitely want to start building some sort of crawler course for 1/10 crawlers. Some areas 1/24 scalers could run would be great as well.

Then I'd want a Vanquish, an SCX10, and a TRX4.

Primal challenger would be my go to. Scx6 second. Can't go wrong with a savvy or savvy xl or anything above for that matter.

Bashing? Traxxas slash
Racing? Traxxas slash
crawling? traxxas slash with a HCG chassis
speed running? traxxas slash
No matter the question, traxxas slash is the only answer

(stole from Donut Media, Miata is only the answer)
;)🤣

I can't comment on the nitro's, but I always liked the HPI Savage.

For electric, maybe an LMT Grave Digger and a Traxxas UDR or Losi Baja Rey.

If I owned my own place and were able still, I would definitely want to start building some sort of crawler course for 1/10 crawlers. Some areas 1/24 scalers could run would be great as well.

Then I'd want a Vanquish, an SCX10, and a TRX4.

Crawler/trail course planned for our timber area. Have a track area picked out as well when it dries out.
Bashing? Traxxas slash
Racing? Traxxas slash
crawling? traxxas slash with a HCG chassis
speed running? traxxas slash
No matter the question, traxxas slash is the only answer

(stole from Donut Media, Miata is only the answer)
;)🤣

The slash is what I was considering for my other nitro truck 😁

1 of every scale! for example:
An scx24 deadbolt or a 1/18 scale crawler (I love my T-hunter, the cr18p)
A 1/10 sct like a Tekno or a 1/10 truggy like the et410, or any 4wd truck
A 1/10 crawler like an element ecto or the sendero hd( my favorite)they are easy to love
Some kind of 1/8 truggy, Mojave sct, or nitro something or other….
For nitro maybe that Hpi wr8, it looks cool but here’s other stuff out there.
If that is really your budget it’s easy to spend that on just 2, especially if you’re getting into 1/8th scale stuff.

Crawler/trail course planned for our timber area. Have a track area picked out as well when it dries out.
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Just because the kids can get involved rather easily, if it were me, I'd maybe start with a couple crawlers and start getting some obstacles laid out. The kids can build bridges with dead limbs and such. It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be before I got into crawlers.

And I can't recommend the SCX24 enough. With kids stuck indoors, out in the yard, on vacation, they are just great trucks to have in the stable.

Living near the timber is a huge plus. Nothing more enjoyable than to walk around the woods running crawlers.
We use our 1/10 scale crawlers when we are camping and is perfect for a little exercise.
Also we take along our 1/24 scale crawlers when we just want to chill around camp and mess around with the little guys.
My bashers are reserved for the sand dunes. :cool:
That's when I break out the big guns, Xmaxx, Baja 5b gas, Erevo, and my Stampedes.
Occasionally my Typhon likes to stretch her legs.

I agree with having a crawler. I have go-fast RC's too. I have a Traxxas Summit which is a fun all around monster truck for just driving around in my backyard. I would take it when I went for walks. Now that crawlers a more common I got myself a TRX4. I didn't think it would be something I'd enjoy as much. But it is much more fun than I anticipated. Going fast and jumping is fun but kinda gets boring being used in the same area over and over. With my TRX4 I can make a makeshift course at will, and not go anywhere.

2wd nitro slash or 4wd nitro slayer?

2wd, for reasons though 😂

I think what my short term goal here is another basher for me so we can run them together. Enter the slash (I think)

A spare basher in case we break one and this would be electric so son can also play around while I’m not home (was actually thinking Arrma big rock here 🤷‍♂️) then a crawler or two

Tekno MT48 2.0.
1 ET48 2.0 kit
1 EB 48 2.0 chassis, rear brace, and rear driveshaft
1 set SCT shock towers, chassis sides, and bumpers/body mounts.
The first $1000.00 gets you a stock slider, the rest is extra.

Opps I forgot this part. If I had $1500 to $2000 I would finish my baja 5b build and then purchase Kraken Vekta.5
I prefer a roller so Eventually a Taylor engine would sneak into my shop.

For general bashing I would look to the Team Associated MT10s, very rugged.

Crawlers i would want Vanquish VS4-10 straight axles

Buggys I’d really want XRAYs but I’d settle for Team Associated

Allround trashing about the Losi Tenacity DB Pro looks like a lot of fun.

Nitro, just get one for you, it’s too complicated to keep 9 and 7 year olds interested, they need a bit more instant gratification and electric gives them just that :)

And I can't recommend the SCX24 enough.

I’m looking to get 2 of these crawlers to start with, one is going to be an AX24, for the other one I’m between the SCX24 or the trx4m (has to be a bronco body 😂). Which would be the better option?

I’m looking to get 2 of these crawlers to start with, one is going to be an AX24, for the other one I’m between the SCX24 or the trx4m (has to be a bronco body 😂). Which would be the better option?
Both are good. I don't own the TRX4M but others here do and they look like great trucks. I personally would probably grab the SCX24 just because it would be the same scale as the AX24.

You can't go wrong with either one, both the TRX4M and the SCX24 Bronco's are nice. Depends if you want variety or consistency. If you stick with the SCX24 it uses the same battery and charger as the AX24 so there is that.

Back