Need advice for a future off road purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westie06516

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, but am glad I found this site! It looks very active and nice :)

I got into the nitro R/C street car scene about 4 or 5 years ago...I decided to get a smartech off of ebay to get started. It was a decent car...AWD, 2 speed tranny, and was fun to drive...but about 3 years ago a kid on a scooter ran over my smartech car. I was able to fix it but it never ran quite right...I didn't have the proper tools or idea of what I was doing...it was more of trial and error approach. I did install a tiger drive system, new rims and tires, painted 2 bodies, and some other things to try out. Needles to say I got hooked on the hobby and still am. The sad part is that my smartech car has been in a controlled storage environment for the past 3 years because I can't fix it or find someone. That my background story :)

Now to my question. I want to get an off road nitro R/C truck. I'm currently looking at Traxxas because I take it that they have a great reputation, are built well and tough, and I like the EZ start feature that comes with the RTR packs. I was originally eyeballing the T-Maxx 3.3 because it seems like a beast of a nitro truck...but it's got quite a hefty price tag...but I'm willing to save up for it, but I would love to hear feedback, thoughts, and options from current owners or previous owners or r/c enthusiasts in general.

Here are some key factors/questions I have when I buy a RTR off road monster truck.

1.) Besides the Revo 3.3, what is another good off road nitro monster truck that is made by Traxxas or others that comes in a RTR package? What is one that is decently priced, comes with an EZ start system set up, Nitro Fuel, and can do and handle the things I mention BELOW:

2.) When I get the monster truck, I plan on driving it in grass, road, dirt paths, woods, etc. Is there any limitation or surfaces that I should avoid?

3.) Can these monster trucks jump and take jumps AFTER they have been broken in? Is it safe and a good idea to jump them? (Not looking to clear huge gaps or get crazy heights) What makes a good jump? Are they jumps I can purchase?

4.) Can these monster trucks take on a bit of water? There is a small stream by a set of woods near my house and it's maybe a few inches deep...less than 6 inches for sure...that is loaded with rocks and looks like a fun challenge to rock climb over.

5.) Is it hard to do wheelies or do I need to buy a special set up to do so?

6.) Is Traxxas is a good brand to look into and worth spending the money on? I have my eyes set on them, specially the T Maxx 3.3, but am willing to look at other models that come with the EZ start and are RTR. Or are there better brands? I also want to purchase from a brand that has a large after market/spare parts catalog where getting parts won't be hard to track down or get.

I thank all of you in advance for your responses, and I will be checking back :) I also plan on being a part of this online community because nitro R/C related gadgets are fun and a great hobby. Be cool to see if there are any locals from CT on these boards :)

Thanks again and can't wait to read up on some thoughts and advice! :D

-Chris

They don't come with fuel. You'll need a few start up accessories.
For all terrain running, get something SOLID. HPI Savage.

Thanks Rolex and Lessen for your feel back.

I looked at the prices for the Revo 3.3 and it's almost $700 bucks for a RTR package...that's kinda way to steep out of my price range. The T Maxx 3.3 is around $420 bucks as a RTR package.

I know and am aware that I will need to but other " start up" items as nitro fuel, extra glow plugs, etc. I had a street car and needed to do the same.

How does the HPI Savage compare or stand up to against any Traxxas nitro monster truck? I'm gonna try find a website to get some more details and compare, but would like to hear from owners or previous owners as to the pros and cons of what they had. That be cool to get that perspective :)

I hate to sound like a pest, but how does the HPI Savage stand up to jumping, wheelies, off road conditions, on road conditions, is there a lot of after market and replacement parts easy to find and obtain, and does it come with an EZ start feature or sort like Traxxas? On my street car, I went through about 17 pull cords before I got so frustrated and installed the tiger drive which wasn't the greatest, but at least I didn't have to replace a pull cord after one pull (no matter how gently I pulled). I saw video on youtube with someone using the EZ starter and was stunned to see how quick the truck started and was good to go!

go savage all the way my man.. i've had both and the savage is probally the toughest one out there. dont get me wrong the t-maxx is ok to but for a basher savage wins!!!!

I just checked out the price online over at towerhobbies.com and an HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR with the Roto Start 2 engine starter is $404.97 for the kit. The site mentions I need to buy the additional following (an extra $88.75):
"AA Batteries: 12: 8 for transmitter, 4 for receiver
6-cell Flat Battery: For Roto Start engine starter
Battery Charger: Timed or peak for Roto Start battery
Glow Starter: 1.2 volt
Fuel: 2-cycle glow fuel with 20%"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRYP0**&P=ML

Just out of curosity, if it comes with the Roto Start, do you still need to attach a glow starter to the glow plug? I assume the 6 cell flat battery is for the Roto Start, is that correct to say?

Does the price for the RTR kit and the additional items seem like a fair price or should I look for a hobby shop near my town? My dealings with a hobby shop that was in my town up until 2 years ago wasn't that great...they charged nearly triple the price for EVERYTHING...so I was usually getting stuff my my street nitro R/C car off of ebay or tower hobbies.

SavageShaun...stupid question but what does "bashing" mean? Is that like really abusing the hell out of the truck with next to little worries? Sorry for all the silly questions!

Again, thanks advance everyone! I'm trying to figure out what to get...cause my birthday is coming up and I'm going half in on the overall price. Want to try off roading this time rather then street because I don't want kids on scooters running over my ride!

There's bashing and racing. Bashing is just running around bashing. :)
The roto start for the Savvy is a mechanical crank that spins the engine. There is no on-board motor like Traxxas has. That's why you still need the ignitor.
You can't beat Tower's prices. If you were a member you would have gotten a $20 coupon in your Email today, towards a purchase of $149 or more.

Last edited:
sorry bashing is jumping, wheelies and just plain old tearing up the dirt and not necessarily on a track.. so under track conditions the t-maxx is actually faster but as a rule wont take nearly as much abuse as a savage!!

Yep, if your looking to bash (general running in parks, street, off-road), then the savage would be in my top 3.

Savage -> LST -> Revo
In that order.

If your looking for something a bit on the quiet side, less fuel consumption, it's easier with the revo because of the smaller engine.

I currently have the Savage and Aftershock (LST's cheaper cousin), both are heavily modified and both can take severe beatings without a problem.

In stock form, the savage is probably the toughest rig out there. It has it's weaknesses, but overall, a very durable basher rig. Not the best handling, but still pretty good. The revo is probably the most agile MT out there with the LST2 being a close second. Both are about the same for durability.

If your seeking durability, power and versatility, then T-Maxx should not even be a contender. It was a good rig for what it was for 6 years ago, but now it's been replaced by the revo (more or less). It was a very problematic rig for durability for a basher IMHO. Used to be underpowered as well, but traxxas finally wizened up and put a .20 in their "MT's".

Regardless whether you go for a rig with a roto or ez-start, consider a glow heater a necessary item. The ez-start will heat the plug, but not as well and it drains the pack more quickly. These things start easier when the plug is hot before you start pumping fuel into it. Personally, I'd ditch the roto or ez and go for a pull-start. I like to feel what the engine is doing. Then I know if it's flooded or if compression is getting weak and I don't have to worry about my starter going dead on me.

Olds is right on. The Savage is king for bashing out of the box. As for handling, well it's a M.T. and it handles like one. Traxxas plastic will not hold up to the abuse HPI's can. I never used aftermarket plastic on my Savage's. I'd put them 15 feet up, 30 foot out in the air allday long. Minor damage would be the end results. A few shocks bent was usually the only problem after a hard bash day. The ramp we used to bash on killed my buddy's stock T-Maxx 3.3! He could not jump it at all, without breakage. I was hitting it at 30-40mph! He sold the Maxx the next week, bought a Savage X and never looked back.

Thank you all for the insightful tips and info guys! Olds, I think you said it well and have sold me on the Savage. I looked on HPI's website and did some research and watched some "bashing" videos on youtube and you guys are right...looks like the Savage can rip up more and take jumps and bumps like a champ and still keep on going! Olds I gotta say though...after my experience with my smartech street nitro, I went through way way way too many pull drives. It was like after 1 or 2 pulls the spring broke, the housing unit cracked, or the cord snapped. I put the tiger drive in with the hex wand, but it was still a pain (this was after the kid rode over it on a scooter) and it never ran right since then. I'm hesitant about pull cords because I'm not a fan of replacing them and waiting for them to get shipped to me! lol

So it's safe to say that right out of the box and after a proper break in, the Savage should be all good to go and have fun rippin wheelies, tossin up dirt, climbing over things, and taking some jumps.

I'm really into the jumping part...I dunno why but it just looks so cool. I have no idea how people pull off front or back flips (be cool to learn or know how to properly attempt it...or a basic jump for that matter) but I'm looking to buying a low skate ramp from like toys r us, walmart, or even tower hobbies and start out at low heights and distances. Would the stock suspension on the Savage hold up for a while, or should I upgrade or get a set of stock replacements? Just curious to know and what to expect. I don't plan on killing a near $500 nitro R/C MT and don't want to cause major damage to it.

I also like the fact that the Savage is 1/8 scale and looks quite massive compared to the 1/10 scale T-Maxx 3.3.

Again, I thank you all for taking time out and sharing your thoughts and input with me. I'm still gonna search around and probably ask questions up until I order it or get it near my 25th b-day (late February). Love being a kid at heart lol.

I manged to find 2 authorized HPI hobby shop dealers not to far from me (both are a little over 20 minutes north and south of me) and one has an outdoor dirt race track/area with jumps. Think I could get the same price as to what tower hobbies is asking for or do you think they would mark up the RTR combo more than towers price?

Thanks again everyone! :D I think this is the best R/C forum I have EVER come across!

Definitely can't go wrong with HPI or Traxxas if it's aftermarket/hopups your looking for!! I was really wanting a Revo for a while, but just couldnt get the money together for the one I wanted.. The HPI Savage looks like a baddarse truck too!! Welcome back to the hobby!!

Olds I gotta say though...after my experience with my smartech street nitro, I went through way way way too many pull drives. It was like after 1 or 2 pulls the spring broke, the housing unit cracked, or the cord snapped. I put the tiger drive in with the hex wand, but it was still a pain (this was after the kid rode over it on a scooter) and it never ran right since then. I'm hesitant about pull cords because I'm not a fan of replacing them and waiting for them to get shipped to me! lol

Many people like the e-start's. I'm just not one of them. Especially the HPI version. There's is so torquey that if you flood the engine and try to start it, it has a likeliness to bust the one way bearing.

Part of your problem could have been due to inferior parts/materials or technique. If you pull straight with the hole the rope comes out of and don't pull it too far, the rope and rewind spring should last a good long time. The one on my jato has been on an engine for at least 12 gallons worth of running. The pull-starter itself, not the OWB. I've had it on 5 engines so far!

I also have had great luck with OS pull-start parts. XTM, not so much. LRP has also been ok.

Also, when properly tuned, once the engine is primed (takes about a pull with a plugged exhaust), your engine should fire up in under 5 pulls. I know mine all do... Usually. ;)

Definitely can't go wrong with HPI or Traxxas if it's aftermarket/hopups your looking for!! I was really wanting a Revo for a while, but just couldnt get the money together for the one I wanted.. The HPI Savage looks like a baddarse truck too!! Welcome back to the hobby!!

Thanks Mickstix! I'm not officially back in the hobby yet...I have a dead smartech I can't get to fix and am trying to sell with all the bodies, rims, and parts I have. I'll be officially back in the hobby when I have a running nitro R/C MT ;) hopefully within the next month or 2...and when I do get the Savage (hopefully!), I'll post up pics and spread my joy! :hehe:

Many people like the e-start's. I'm just not one of them. Especially the HPI version. There's is so torquey that if you flood the engine and try to start it, it has a likeliness to bust the one way bearing.

Part of your problem could have been due to inferior parts/materials or technique. If you pull straight with the hole the rope comes out of and don't pull it too far, the rope and rewind spring should last a good long time. The one on my jato has been on an engine for at least 12 gallons worth of running. The pull-starter itself, not the OWB. I've had it on 5 engines so far!

I also have had great luck with OS pull-start parts. XTM, not so much. LRP has also been ok.

Also, when properly tuned, once the engine is primed (takes about a pull with a plugged exhaust), your engine should fire up in under 5 pulls. I know mine all do... Usually. ;)

Olds,

I think the problem with my smartech was the fact...well it's a smartech lol. It wasn't anything fancy or top end, really a beginners car and pretty cheap for people like me at the time who wanted to get into nitro R/C street cars. My buddy who got me into the hobby actually thought I wasn't pulling at the right angle, or I was too aggressive and pulling to fast and hard (I'm too strong for my own good at times) but I was pretty carefully and gentle with it every time because I appreciated the sophistication of a built nitro R/C car and the last thing I wanted to do was intentionally break something. So my buddy who got me into the hobby has broken 3 of the pull starts himself. He himself had an ofna and a few other nitro related R/C vehicles and didn't get why I was going through so many pull starts and told me to get a tiger drive system, which was alright till the car got run over...

After a lot of reading (here and abroad), I went with the savage X as well.

Couldn't be happier. I actually took mine out today for a little snow bash - Differnet, but a lot of fun !

Savage parts are also widely available & reasonable in price......It's not a matter of ""if" your going to break something, but "when."

As for the jumping, I went ut with my friend about 6-7 times this fall. He has an FG truck (not sure which one), and my savage is typically the one that comes home needing no more than a cleaning.

About the only thing I've broke is the dogbones (before I realized you don't need to be on the gas all the time in the air - LOL), some antenna tubes & 1 A-arm.

Suggestion: If you get the RTR, instead of having the antenna go straight up through the body, heat it up with a lighter flex it & conceal it under the body, this way you won't tear it off.

Have fun

Last edited by a moderator:
After a lot of reading (here and abroad), I went with the savage X as well.

Couldn't be happier. I actually took mine out today for a little snow bash - Differnet, but a lot of fun !

Savage parts are also widely available & reasonable in price......It's not a matter of ""if" your going to break something, but "when."

As for the jumping, I went ut with my friend about 6-7 times this fall. He has an FG truck (not sure which one), and my savage is typically the one that comes home needing no more than a cleaning.

About the only thing I've broke is the dogbones (before I realized you don't need to be on the gas all the time in the air - LOL), some antenna tubes & 1 A-arm.

Suggestion: If you get the RTR, instead of having the antenna go straight up through the body, heat it up with a lighter flex it & conceal it under the body, this way you won't tear it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH_hWxdB7Hc

Have fun

ratchet1974,

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your own experiences with your Savage X. I'm gonna try and shoot for one I think. I've done some more browsing online today while I was at work and had some downtime lol. The video you provided was pretty neat and informative. I never would of thought of that and I think that is a great idea. If I get the Savage (hoping it all works out) then I think that might be one of the first things I will do...not only to make it look sleek and clean, but for practicality because I'm gonna be switching over to off roading and plan on getting some bashing in, so it be good to know that I won't have to worry about the antenna getting ripped out or damaged.

Thanks again for your input and that neat video!

Bending it down parallel with the ground shortens the range quite a bit though, so keep that in mind if you run a decent distance away from where your standing.

I used to do that with mine when I ran at a skate park that was/is about a 50 yard square. Was fine as long as I didn't go too far away. If I did, my fail safe would kick in.

there is always the option of a 2.4GhZ setup short antenna and awesome range

Yep and Yep. That's what I run now and it's great to have that kind of range. Where I live, AM or FM gave me constant glitching regardless how far or close I was. No more of that with my spektrum. Also no more antenna dangling out, which is also nice.

Hey guys,

I just had a thought after doing much internet searching and watching videos, and a thought came across my mind. Would a nitro buggy meet the criteria I set forth in my initial post...with all the off roading, jumping, occasional street use, or should I stick to getting a MT. I've fallen in love with the HPI Savage x 4.6 but with the RTR combo and the other basic start up things I need...I'm looking at $500+ the cheapest...and that's through tower hobbies. So is a buggy an option, or should I still aim for a MT?

As always, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback :)