Need a couple of clarifications on airplanes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been checking out rc airplanes because I have been interested in them and my buddy got a hobbyzone champ for Christmas that looks pretty cool. He hasn't flown it yet because of weather. But I see these beginner airplanes, like the champ, then I see trainers which are usually a lot more expensive. What exactly is a trainer and why is it usually a lot more expensive than other planes?

Also My buddy and I noticed with the champ that you only have elevator and rudder controls, not aileron. Is this just to make it simple for beginners? I was disappointed a little bit but I bet it is still loads of fun to fly. I also have never flow an rc airplane so maybe aileron controls make it a lot more difficult.

The newer models like the Champ are made of foam and are lighter and tougher than the older balsa/Monokote planes. They are easier to repair than the older ones as well

The Champ is a 3-channel aircraft and is for beginners because they have less to worry about, control-wise. I started flying planes with a Park Zone UM T-28D and have had a lot of fun. Now if only i could learn to keep it out of the trees.

The Champ is a great beginner plane, it almost flies itself. Once you learn to fly it it can still be fun on high rates, I also use it to get comfortable flying low to the ground and practice touch n goes...Great plane for anyone IMO

In the full scale world, ALL planes, from a Piper Cub to a Boeing 787 Dreamliner turn by using the ailerons. The rudder is used to maintain direction against a cross wind. (Known as crabbing)
Although you can steer a plane either way, using the ailerons also leans the plane into the turn rather than slipping flat.
It's a lot more controllable but on small training planes it's hardly noticeable. When you want to get into performance and stunt flying, that's when you'll need it all.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My friend and I were just wondering what kind of turns it would be able to make without being able to bank turns with the aileron. We were skeptical but my friends dad said the guys at the hobby shop were saying that even the experienced guys will buy a champ just cause it's simple and fun. I read the manual and it says you can do banking turns by turning left or right and pulling back on the stick but I can't imagine it's exactly like using the aileron.

I cannot wait to see his champ fly because I have always been curious about them even as a kid. Never even had much interest in rc cars/trucks when I was young. But I always wanted to fly a rc plane. He will probably let me fly it too, I figure if he lets me fly his 120SR outdoors the champ shouldn't be an issue :D

Back