My Xmaxx build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Aside from the parts I posted in the "what did you buy today" thread, I went ahead and picked up a few more in Boise for my Xmaxx build.
I haven't quite decided on the upgrades yet but I'll come to that cross road when I get there.
I've always wanted a Xmaxx but never could afford one outright so decided to build one part by part. Yes expensive but I have no problem with that.
First off, thanks to @Greywolf74 , @StonerRC365 , @WickedFog and others I forgot , for the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction so far.

I have decided on the Hobbywing Max 6 and 1100kv motor for my git up and go.

I have several more on the way. What I have coming in completes the chassis section of the build.
On the Traxxas site it shows 5 diagrams, Chassis, Front, Rear, Body, and Modular. I figured I would complete a section at a time for the next several months.
I still need to buy the screws but haven't quite decided what direction to go.

IMG_1222.JPG

Good stuff, will definitely be following this thread. Are you familar with Jenny's RC? Looks like a lot of their xmaxx stuff is out of stock but what you can find on their website is probably going to be cheaper than ordering the parts individually and paying MSRP. Jenny's takes RTRs and breaks them down and parts them out. For example I bought a complete diff, inner, outter and case for my Felony for like $61 dollars.

If it works for ya great if not thats cool too but I thought Id throw it out there as a resource. HERE is a link to the Xmaxx parts.

I think this is great. I could never save up enough to even buy a used one. But tossing a few bucks out every month for parts will be easy to do. I am going to jump in on this next month and grab a couple parts as well.

@Tunedpipe

I have a new X Maxx (bought when I purchased my TRX4).

Candidly, I’m not going to go all “Kevin Talbot” and try to destroy my X Maxx, but my deer camp has a bit of land (grass, rocks, dirt, etc)—which gives room for the truck to max out and wipe out (no asphalt, but mostly just dirt/rocks).

Thus far, I installed Traxxas roof skid plate and lined the interior body shell with gorilla tape.

In your experience, what breaks and what are items you’d recommend upgrading (when they break)?

Appreciate any thoughts.

@Tunedpipe

Candidly, I’m not going to go all “Kevin Talbot” and try to destroy my X Maxx, but my deer camp has a bit of land (grass, rocks, dirt, etc)—which gives room for the truck to max out and wipe out (no asphalt, but mostly just dirt/rocks).

Thus far, I installed Traxxas roof skid plate and lined the interior body shell with gorilla tape.

In your experience, what breaks and what are items you’d recommend upgrading (when they break)?

Appreciate any thoughts.
He is just starting to build one. From what I have seen, these are pretty tough rigs.

As far as the Gorilla tape, I have a Kraton with one body the guy did that to. It's pretty banged up. The other body has fiberglass mesh drywall tape covered in Shoe Goo. If you want to keep your body looking good, do the mesh tape/Shoe Goo trick to it. The Gorilla tape doesn't do much.

@Tunedpipe

Appreciate any thoughts.
can't say much about the Xmaxx as I dont have one I have a Kraton 8S but as for the body Id get an "unbreakable" body for it HERE. I have one on my K8 and its literally unbreakable and I have no skid plates of any kind on it. You'll need a sticker sheet of sort to make it look better though as you can't really paint them. If you look around on ebay sometimes you can find combos that will sell the body with a sticker sheet.

Proline also makes a version of the "unbreakable" body HERE. I've not tried one yet so I can't say if its as tough as the unbreakable ones but they at least come with sticker sheets and tend to be a tiny bit less expensive.

Well worth the money. At least if the proline one is just as tough anyway :)

HERE is an F350 unbreakable body and HERE is a matching sticker sheet for it. Theres a lot of different body styles you can find you'll just have to look around on ebay.

Good stuff, will definitely be following this thread. Are you familar with Jenny's RC? Looks like a lot of their xmaxx stuff is out of stock but what you can find on their website is probably going to be cheaper than ordering the parts individually and paying MSRP. Jenny's takes RTRs and breaks them down and parts them out. For example I bought a complete diff, inner, outter and case for my Felony for like $61 dollars.

If it works for ya great if not thats cool too but I thought Id throw it out there as a resource. HERE is a link to the Xmaxx parts.
I've checked them out several times but each time I need something, they are out of stock. Thanks for the info.
@Tunedpipe

Appreciate any thoughts.
I don't have any experience with the xmaxx so I can't offer any advice. I have however lined a couple bodies with drywall fiber tape and shoe goo.
This build is a total shot in the dark but that's what I prefer because I love the research part of it as much as the wrenching.
I don't bash my rig hard either but when I do , it's out at the sand dunes. Soft landing and long speed runs.

Last edited:
I've checked them out several times but each time I need something, they are out of stock. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, ever since covid seems like theyre out of stock on tons of stuff

but when I do , it's out at the sand dunes. Soft landing and long speed runs.
Does this mean paddle tires for the Xmaxx? Id love to see some giant sand dune rooster tails! :)

Yeah, ever since covid seems like theyre out of stock on tons of stuff

Does this mean paddle tires for the Xmaxx? Id love to see some giant sand dune rooster tails! :)
You can count on it. I have set of paddles for my baja 5b and they are fun.

I think this is great. I could never save up enough to even buy a used one. But tossing a few bucks out every month for parts will be easy to do. I am going to jump in on this next month and grab a couple parts as well.
We will be watching for pics.

thumbs up.png

Three more packages arrived today. Getting close to starting my build. ;)
#7723 Chassis Nerf Bars.
#7715 Front and rear body mounts.
#7744 Front and rear skid Plates

IMG_1232.JPG

Story of my life, day late and dollar short. :p

The parts I received today I went ahead and got the high shock parts soaking in WD40. Bumper mounts, bumpers, body mounts stuff like that. I'm a firm believer in the WD40 thing.

Story of my life, day late and dollar short. :p

The parts I received today I went ahead and got the high shock parts soaking in WD40. Bumper mounts, bumpers, body mounts stuff like that. I'm a firm believer in the WD40 thing.
I think WD40 is an ingredient in RPM arm plastic 😉

Today's shipment I received..

#7736 Rear bumper, probably the only part that will get a WD40 soak in this bunch.
#7718 Battery hold down mounts.
#7744 Front and rear skid plates. These are going to @WickedFog because I screwed up and ordered two sets.
You even get a pic of the rain drops outside. "What the hell is that"?

IMG_1244.JPG

Today's shipment I received..

#7736 Rear bumper, probably the only part that will get a WD40 soak in this bunch.
#7718 Battery hold down mounts.
#7744 Front and rear skid plates. These are going to @WickedFog because I screwed up and ordered two sets.
You even get a pic of the rain drops outside. "What the hell is that"?

View attachment 132336
I take it you guys don't see much rain. Our rainy season is about to start. It used to be april and may. Now its october to december. If ya want, I can see if the old man up above can send ya some of ours 😉

Sadly no, in fact it gets pretty brown around here but still only 15 minutes from the green mountains.
We are getting a little bit of rain here today so I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:
Back