My Weed Eater Boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need a clutch, you need to boost your idle. I don't run clutches, and never intend to. My take on it is that I'm never going to be stopped in the middle of the lake, not to mention maintenance on the clutch and all the added weight in the driveline. I boost my idle so the boat puts along slowly.

can i have the plans for your boat for ex. wood dimensions and how it was assembled
thanks

That Minn-Kota prop would never work or even if it wanted to it would be too inefficient as there is no streamlining where the original electric motor was. I used to fish Bass tournies before getting into RC boats so I do know a little about them also. You need something a lot smaller to move it, somewhere in the 70mm range.
The rudder setup is going to be very fragile and break when you need it most. Your best bet was to try to convert it to an airboat.

Most definitely. I ran it last night on the bench in my garage. I actually had to shut it down because it started to glide off the work bench from the wind created by the prop. I replace the weed eater string head with a minn kota trolling motor prop. I believe the rudder is going to be too wimpy. If you have any ideas let me know. Most likely I will only be able to steer with minimal throttle due to the drag of the rudder blades. My servo may be too week to push the rudder at high speed????
Curious if your servo was strong enough?

You just can't add any clutch to any motor. You don't need a clutch for a boat or air boat. Just set the idle so the engine doesn't stall out. A clutch would be nice for a gas boat but not for an air boat. Also Not all weed wacker motors are good to use. Homelite and echo's are the best. Not the new homelite they are junk. You also need to change the stock spark plug to a resistor type or you will have big problems trying to control the boat.

You just can't add any clutch to any motor. You don't need a clutch for a boat or air boat. Just set the idle so the engine doesn't stall out. A clutch would be nice for a gas boat but not for an air boat. Also Not all weed wacker motors are good to use. Homelite and echo's are the best. Not the new homelite they are junk. You also need to change the stock spark plug to a resistor type or you will have big problems trying to control the boat.

Hey Monster,
You might want to check the date of post before you reply to them. I noticed that you have replied to a lot of posts that are a few year old and older. A lot of those guys are not even members on here any more and I'm sure their problems were fixed. I like your enthusiasm to help, though.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh

@Fishslayerdan this thread died 8 years ago. Ron Olson was the king of watercraft here but hasn't been around for about a year.
I'm still alive! King is a little too much, just a guy who's been around for a while and still learning every day.
You can lower the engine even more by removing the fuel tank and moving it forward. When Warehouse Hobbies started making gas RC boats, instead of using an aftermarket tank they'd save some money and just use the supplied Homelite weedeater fuel tank but would place them up under the decks.
The Minn-Kota prop is a LOT of prop to turn, you's need something a lot smaller in the 70mm-72mm range.