My Weed Eater Boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoustonGearHead

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
houstongearhead
If you have an old weed eater laying around check this out. Today she gets fiberglass and paint. Then off to the lake. The only issue I have is the steering rudder. We will see how it goes. If anyone is interested I have pics and I made step by step drawings.

Here are some pics

BOAT2.jpg
[/IMG]

BOAT5.jpg

BOAT6.jpg
[/IMG]

That's cool.

Take a vid of it's maiden run if you can.

Most definitely. I ran it last night on the bench in my garage. I actually had to shut it down because it started to glide off the work bench from the wind created by the prop. I replace the weed eater string head with a minn kota trolling motor prop. I believe the rudder is going to be too wimpy. If you have any ideas let me know. Most likely I will only be able to steer with minimal throttle due to the drag of the rudder blades. My servo may be too week to push the rudder at high speed????

If it were me, I would attach the rudders to a piece of wood that is the full width of the rudders so you can spread the load along with a couple more pieces of wood from rudder to rudder at the ends. I would also add some braces back to the pivot point.

Yep that would definitely help. If all fails with the rudder, I am thinking of shortening and bending the weedeater shaft upwards and adding an RC airplane prop to create an air boat?????

You have the hull of an air boat, and the rudders as well. They will definitely not hold up in the water. Keep us updated on this. It's a cool project.

Thanks Rolex. I think first I am going to shorten the rudders so they are about 3 inches in the water. If they dont hold I may try something like Robmob suggested. But I am starting to lean towards the airboat like you say the hull and rudders would be ideal for that application. I just hope I am not creating a submarine!!!! I will definitely keep you posted.

Thanks man!!! My wife told me to clean out the garage. I did and found this old weed eater. She now wishes she never mentioned it. HA.

inside that weed whacker handle is just a cable drive, can you shorten the tube and add a pivot? you may need a BIG servo to turn it though.

Thanks man!!! My wife told me to clean out the garage. I did and found this old weed eater. She now wishes she never mentioned it. HA.

Ha! That must be her in one of the pics standing in the doorway with one hand on her hip. Probably has the classic, "you have got to be kidding me" look on her face.

Got to be kidding me is her favorite thing to say!! Beason that would be awesome but I need a clutch. I tried her out today and as soon as I launched it and the prop hit the water it would choke the engine down?? I may raise the motor shorten the shaft crimp the cable together and get an airplane prop from my LHS and do the airboat thing. She looks good in the pool but a no go on the lake.
media2.jpg
[/IMG]

My boat is now an airboat but I have a major problem. I shourtened the weedeater shaft to 5 inches. The hub on the motor and the prop have a square drive therefore I have tried a piece or keystock and have filed down several pieces of all thread to use as a drive shaft, all have twisted and broke. Any ideas??? Also the motor is a 25 cc or 1.5 cu in motor. I have an 18 X 6 prop but cannot get the motor to run with the prop installed??? Is it too big for the motor??? Please help!!!!!

I've been around airboats all my life and i think i can help you out here. Try looking at this website i think they even have a few plans.

http://www.cajungatorairboats.com/

They make NITROS and GASSERS

There should be a centrifugal clutch to keep it idling without stalling out in water. If the weed whacker was a constant drive, that's your problem.

Rolex, right on the money. I know they sell them at go cart stores and I'm not shure of any other place you could pick them up. Maybe, just maybe they would have one that you can modify to fit a weed eater.

See, i know for shure that the Cajun Gator RC airboats have a centrifugal clutch because I've seen them run. But wouldn't it be a little difficult to put on a cable driven motor?

Make sure that prop is right rotation for the motor otherwise it can expand the flex shaft like putting the brakes on good luck!