My Slash 2wd build 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clay track practice day. Ran well. Nothing broke.

Slash:

What do you mean nothing broke? .....Is this some sort of trick? .....Whats the catch? 🤔 :p🤣

I always look at racing videos, and wonder just how bad I would be, seems hard to see the other end of the track.

What a coincidence running across you here when I seen your latest Rustler posts on Reddit 👍🏼👍🏼
David is not supposed to be hanging out on Reddit anymore. He is so busted!

Got those rpm mudflaps. Pretty good and style ish. And functional too. Got lots of mud over them today. Cleaned them off with a wet shop towel.
Gonna order a led light kit off of eBay near summer time

Bashed the slash for 2 battery packs today, with the talon tires. Got through the grass pretty easy and I can have more fun now. Sadly didn't get video though.

Oh yea, the mudflaps, on how they mount while I was at the track the other day, the mount fell off of the bumper, the screws were exposed on the other side and didn't really stick in much. Don't have any spare 5.5mm nuts on me right now so I just super glued the mount to the screws and bumper.

Getting Aluminum rear hubs from amazon (Atomik RC)

RPM ones I had, they were done. Put the OEMs back on just to get it fixed up. I don't want to risk running OEM hubs at the track. Getting ready for Beach RC

Took off some preload spacers for the track. Put on the shorter ProLine body mounts and put the chassis nerf bars back on (as I had the off-road tires on previously and had to adjust a few things)

And new RPM rear hubs. Wd40ed the hubs/bearings so they go smoothly.

All ready for vaca.
PXL_20240323_022155603.jpg
PXL_20240323_022447181.jpg
PXL_20240323_022611958.jpg

Took off some preload spacers for the track. Put on the shorter ProLine body mounts and put the chassis nerf bars back on (as I had the off-road tires on previously and had to adjust a few things)

And new RPM rear hubs. Wd40ed the hubs/bearings so they go smoothly.

All ready for vaca.
View attachment 185648View attachment 185646View attachment 185647
Wipe that grease off your driveshafts. That will collect dirt and wear your driveshafts out. Use graphite or a dry film lube there instead. Especially since you are taking that to the beach. You don't want anything sticky there to pick up sand.

Last edited:
Might not race the slash because there is no SCT guys 😢
Might race the rustler if there is truck guys but probably not. Or race the slash with the stadium trucks.

Got 2 free drag slash bodies from a random dude I met. Maybe a drag conversion, or a new build later on to find uses for these bodies. Ideally looking for another roller as I want to keep the slash how it is right now.

PXL_20240413_215649542.jpg

PXL_20240413_215640308.jpg

Slash is gonna be out for a while. Gonna have to do a transmission and diff rebuild. See what I can find. One side spins freely while the other side doesn't and gets locked up.

Took it out for a bash today at the gas station and noticed it locking up.

Could also because I'm power sliding and drifting the car alot.

Asphalt is hot. Pretty nice day out side. Rear tires got warm.

Moved the ESC back to the factory location for the LCG chassis. Using a RPM Castle Sidewinder cage, minus the cage and just using the bottom plate. Making some motor wire extensions so the motor wires can reach the ESC. Hoping with this, more weight down low, and in the center of the chassis instead of the rear. Before I had a 3d printed eBay mount that mounts above the battery strap.
And also because of this I put back in the factory battery strap mount.

Tomorrow I'll start on the transmission rebuild tomorrow. Hoping that the car will be slightly better, or more, on the dirt track. And also I'll try to not sauce the tires and see if I can get around the track easier as I feel like it has too much grip and I had to really slow down to turn.

PXL_20240415_224700082.jpg

PXL_20240415_224704391.jpg

Using a fresh roll of ProTek grey high tack double sided tape. Also I zip tied the temp sensor up as it is too short so I'll just not use it. Motor rarely overheats anyways so I am fine. (I also did the same with the rustler as the temp sensor wire was coming undone from the small plug)

Redid the bullets. Getting the hand of it. The guy that redid my wiring and new esc at the track last month, I learned a little from him so my bullets should be better now. Got 2 out of 3 motor wires extended. Not the best but hopefully it works. The 3rd one I had a fight with since I don't have a helping hands so I'll resume tomorrow after school. With the wires, I matched what I had in my bag, All 12 AWG 200 degree wire.

PXL_20240416_002923195.jpg

PXL_20240416_012720997.jpg

PXL_20240416_012745840.jpg

PXL_20240416_002933403.jpg

Got the A wire finished and everything wrapped up. I will start on the tranny rebuild tomorrow.
For a short test, I took of the pinion gear and everything spinned freely so I have no idea what caused one of the wheels to lock up occasionally. Maybe one of the wheel hexes or wheel nuts were too tight.
Need a new spur gear. Noticed I had a couple teeth stripped. Not sure what I have in my gear collection. Pretty sure I only have a few "stock" 90T spurs left. I got 2 86T steel spurs, and 1 76T spur.

Just by holding the car in my hand, I can notice the balance difference. Since this ESC is kinda big and bulky, it moved the weight from the center/rear to the middle left. Might get some little weights from somewhere to put near the receiver box to make it balance out.

After the tranny rebuild, Friday I will test it out (if my schedule goes to plan) and I will test out how different it is on the track next week.

Regular size stick pack:
PXL_20240416_182831534.jpg

Shorty battery pack:
PXL_20240416_182552745.MP.jpg

PXL_20240416_182334643.MP.jpg

PXL_20240416_191018792.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned this but I lowered the rear body mounts by a couple holes so now the body is even front and rear.

Haven't found anything bad. I guess it just needed a plain rebuild. Or what I was seeing / feeling was my imagination.
PXL_20240417_205858636.jpg

Rebuilt the tranny, diff, axles and the whole rear end. Diff oil has mainly 200K with a bit of 500K mixed in. Had an issue where the spur gear was wobbly. I was running Hot Racing anodized slipper pads. They really don't sit in great. Had another pair and had to super glue them in. Spur gear is still wobbly but not as much. Due to it being wobbly it changes the gear mesh when it rotates. Gearing now is running 27/76. 76 spur is too little to use a 23 pinion unless I Dremel the mount kit more to mount the motor further. Honestly might go to the 86T steel spur until I get a new Traxxas spur at the track in a few weeks. I'll take it out tomorrow to get the slipper set, gear mesh set, or try out different gearing.
Just feeling by hand, the diff feels alot better.

1000011027.jpg

1000011029.jpg

1000011030.jpg

1000011031.jpg

1000011032.jpg

1000011033.jpg

1000011034.jpg

1000011035.jpg

1000011037.jpg

Also reguled that rear tire.

New to my list:
2 86T spur gears (Traxxas)
2 83T spur gears (Traxxas)
New slipper clutch assembly (pressure plates and what ever the other part is called)
Slipper pads
Bearings for the diff outdrives (as I forgot the 272R uses a larger bearing so I have to find that size, and have an extra pair for extra)

Put the old spur gear in. It works. It just has a slight clicking sound due to like 2 teeth stripped off. Ill run it until I get my parts.

Yesterday with Bashing it with the ramp, I noticed the car stayed more flat/even instead of the nose coming up or nose diving. Will do the real test at the track with the big triple jump

New slipper clutch system and spur gear. 86T spur gear. New clutch plate and hub, and also got the rebuild kit with the factory traxxas pads and the other plate. Looks alot better now. Should be able to rip it at the track this weekend.

Back