Mounting shocks upside down

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I see that there are a few guys who mount their shocks upside down.

What is the benefit in doing this?

I've never done it, but it seems the shafts are a bit more protected from debries like rocks and stuff, the body takes the hit, and if the plastic or metal gets pitted or dinged, it wont matter as much as if the shaft did. plus it moves the air pocket, (if there is one) away from the piston head so it would seem to be a better setup.

it does however add a slight bit more unsprung weight. the fluid filled heavy part of the shock has to move around more.

Rob, I think if I recall correctly, the stock shocks have a clearance issue on the axial kits, down at the axles, if you try to mount them upside down in the stock configuration. I did some reaaranging once and tried it, and I just plain didn't like it. However, a lot of guys run them that way, and you may like it better.

I've wondered the same thing, wonder how it would work with droop?

Apparently there are a few advantages to mounting them upside down.
One, it keeps the shaft out of the worst of the dust, minimizing the abrasive wear. It lowers the CG of the car since the heavier part of the shock is now on the bottom, and it also eliminates the gravity leakage when it sits with a worn seal.

I do agree with it lowering the CG, but not about the dust. In fact I think it would be worse since any dust that got on the shaft would settle at the base of the shaft which would now be directly on the shock body seal which would be grinding on the shaft as it moved up and down.

The stock ones wont fit right on the axial kit.

I've wondered the same thing, wonder how it would work with droop?

I don't know about droop, but it doesn't work well with soup at all. It might work better with broth, but when I tried running soup suspension, the stars from chicken of the stars soup kept blocking the hole in the piston. Droop, eh? I've been thinking everyone was saying the hot thing these days was soup suspension. (Charlie goes to dump Campbells out of all of his RC's):hehe:

I saw someone say this made the rc18 lineup's suspension run much smoother. I tried on my RC18T and it did seem a bit more smooth, but every time it hit something the front shocks would pop off their mounts. I didnt see it get any worse, so i kept the rears inverted, but my fronts are back to normal to stop them from popping off all the time.

I don't know about droop, but it doesn't work well with soup at all. It might work better with broth, but when I tried running soup suspension, the stars from chicken of the stars soup kept blocking the hole in the piston. Droop, eh? I've been thinking everyone was saying the hot thing these days was soup suspension. (Charlie goes to dump Campbells out of all of his RC's):hehe:

are u drunk charlie???:hehe: you must be if u want to take the soup outta your shocks.

Can't blame it on that, I don't like drinking. It's been about 4 years since I drank. I do like to get tore up from the floor up with other substances, but haven't had any of those in about 3 years either. I'm just weird I guess.

well we all know that u are addicted to the ever so harmful rc drug now...please take it in small doses lol.

well we all know that u are addicted to the ever so harmful rc drug now...please take it in small doses lol.

Its called nitro fumes. And he has been off of that for like 2-3 months now.

Damn I was running Healthy Choice Tomato in mine.....I did that so it was easier to tell if I had one leaking. You are right about the stars though I was having the same problem with the clam chowder.

Damn I was running Healthy Choice Tomato in mine.....I did that so it was easier to tell if I had one leaking. You are right about the stars though I was having the same problem with the clam chowder.

On your terrain I figured you were running the won ton soup configuration, maybe egg droop soup.

Back