Motor and ESC lead length?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbnjzb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My motor and ESC lead length combined is ~16.5 inches. To me this seems too long. They get in way too. Is there a recommended max combined length? Does shorter give better performance? I already checked with manufacturer and they said no problem with shortening. Thanks for the help!

you can shorten them to a managable length. you do gain resistance with the longer wires. is enough to see a difference maybe depends on your actual voltage drop.

Short as you can with a little bit of play. Route them they way you want them to go with them being out of the way, and add a half inch or so.

I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to mess with motor wires.

Ok, I just did some speed reading, there are alot of opinions out there. I say if you can avoid shortening the motor wires, then do it. If you do shorten them, I've read that they are difficult to solder, and must be identical in length. There are three wires, and one of them is for timing.....or else it really is three phase ac.....I didn't find a solid answer, but I believe it's ac.

You may wanna search this before you go cutting wires.;)

I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to mess with motor wires.

Ok, I just did some speed reading, there are alot of opinions out there. I say if you can avoid shortening the motor wires, then do it. If you do shorten them, I've read that they are difficult to solder, and must be identical in length. There are three wires, and one of them is for timing.....or else it really is three phase ac.....I didn't find a solid answer, but I believe it's ac.

You may wanna search this before you go cutting wires.;)

Yeah definitely don't want to screw things up! :\ I can live without cutting the wires. Probably a better idea. Thanks to all.

Most brushless speed controls and motors don't even come with wires. You can wrap them around your vehicle twenty times if you want. Keep them all the same length, or close. Electricity is fast, fast enough that an inch of wire isn't going to make a difference.

or else it really is three phase ac.....I didn't find a solid answer, but I believe it's ac.

It's kind of like ac but its still dc, each wire pulses a square wave and i think the the frequency of each square wave will increase or decrease speed.

i braided mine to keep 'stock' and to shorten without cutting...just an option... i think i read it will also cut down on electrical interference. the distance between my SCT esc and castle 4 pole motor is around 14''

some systems your not meant to cut i would check with the manufacturer but that length does seem a bit long.

I know Castle Creations tells you to go a short of wires to the motor and batteries as you can get away with.

It depends on the motor. Castle says you can cut their wires. Motors that dont have wires coming out of the motor but rather soldered to it you can always cut those. Anything else where the wires are coming straight out of the can I would not cut unless like Castle the manufacturer says its ok to cut them.

Thanks! See the motor leads are coming out of the can. They were built on already but Hobbyking (Turnigy) said you can cut them, I'm still just a little weary! Idk I thought performance would improve if wires were shorter but if not I won't bother.

Impedance (resistance in an AC circuit) of wire is usually measured by the foot. Most manufacturers use a large gauge wire to lower the impedance and since they usually use less than 6" the impedance is usually so low that effectively is non-existent.

Impedance (resistance in an AC circuit) of wire is usually measured by the foot. Most manufacturers use a large gauge wire to lower the impedance and since they usually use less than 6" the impedance is usually so low that effectively is non-existent.

Great answer thanks! Thanks to all!

Back