missile platform t-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkytechnician

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hay guys , just thought I'd share a few pics of my truck and trailer setup, its built for rc combat, it's a truck and trailer style missile platform that is pritty much scratch built other then the t-maxx platform I used for the front half, the missile turret if fully articulated and can fire 4 missiles independently, and the front truck has remote start and shut off capabilities. these missiles actually fire and explode and are powered by d-engines, I have a few buddies that also have armored/weaponized rc's , one has a 6 foot long aircraft carrier with a number of different weapons like 4 powder cannons, 2 torpedo tubes and 2 anti-aircraft missiles, my other buddy has a dura-trax warhead that will have a flame thrower and a single missile turret, its only in its preliminary stages of construction right now, For my drive train, I have 3.3 motor with a 16t hardened clutch bell and 3 shoe aluminum clutch with a RRP 76t steel spur, (can you say "torque"? LOL), RRP slipper, RRP hardened topshaft, RRP 1st and 2nd speed hardened gears, RRP steel forward, aluminum reverse gears, GoldenHorizon coated aluminum forward and reverse output gears, and the finishing touch, aluminum tranny case, oh and all sealed bearings inside the tranny, so basicly I can pull my house over with it LOL The only thing left to upgrade for me on the drive line is the crappy sliders which now look like cork screws, I'm gonna get those traxxas cvd axels with the blue boots but I don't know if they work with the 2.5 body, can anybody fill me in? other then that the ez start is incorperated in the body as well and is remotely activated by and extra channel in the trailer's aircraft radio system, and I can kill the engine also by moving the stick in the other direction which pinches the fuel line and cuts the motor, so I can start and kill the engine at will. the whole thing as triple redundent reciever power supplies (two packs in the front truck, one in the trailer) and are inter linked by a trailer wireing harness that links the trailer to the front (also incorperates the start channel plug) also onboard the front truck is a 5000 mah 7.2 volt battery pack that powers the ez start, the night lighting, and the engine/exhaust cooling fans. I also custom built a dual exhaust that has a real chambered muffler, I flow tested it so it would provide equal fuel pressure as the stock fuel pressure supplied with the pipe that came with it, I'm sure the proformance isn't as tuned at the stock pipe, but the sound is very very quite due to the chambered muffler, which I wanted to make it a little more stelth. anyhow, hears some pics, feel free to ask questions;)

Attachments

• robot5.jpg
    robot5.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 321
  • robot lights.jpg
    robot lights.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 287
  • fat boy missils.jpg
    fat boy missils.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 267
  • robot resize1.jpg
    robot resize1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 279
  • robot resize2.jpg
    robot resize2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
few more

Attachments

• robot4.jpg
    robot4.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Holy "Halo"!!!

That's incredible. And I thought the missles were like spring launched or something. Nope, they look full blown rocket powered. Damn, that's impressive.

Thanks man, i was gonna post more but I guess I reached my maxx pic quota, is that only a temperary quota? I have a few more recent shots (has better tires and a few other simple mods)

make your pics a tad bit smaller and youll be able to fit more in your quota

That is one of the coolest thing I have seen in a while.

Now thats one awesome looking set-up man, good job!!!:)

thanks guys, kinda sucks about the pic limit, I have a few better ones that I had to resize, but now i can't post them, is there a time expiration on the pic limit? I have mads a few improvements since these pic were taken, these ones were right after I completed it enough to run, it only had the stock 2.5 tranny in it hear (which I soon turned into liquid) and I broke the stock clutch shoes at the pin, but I knew that was gonna happen, so thats y i built the bullet proof tranny with the low gearing, I have still to re-tune the motor though, those pics were also taken when it was about -10 degrees celcius, also I have added the RRP brake upgrade because the stock struggled to slow both the truck and trailer. Over all though I love this rig, the turret has a 180 degree articulation, I use a porportional retract servo for this, and up and down aiming as well, I use 2 regular servos for that, all the firing relays are inside the lower turret housing. I'm using a super duper old am aircraft airtronics 6ch remote that I think was a kit that you build back in the 80's, everyone makes fun of it because its so old looking but it works very well with no glitching and exelent range, so I don't mess with sucess. the exhaust is contained inside the armored exterior and is cooled by a very small brushless fan that ducts air fornthe front and blows it over the muffler and out the back, and the engine has a racing cooling head that also has a cooling fan ducking air through it, this keeps everything nice and cool as the engine works hard to haul the weight of the truck and trailer. the fuel tank is also oversized and is actually made from an old metal boot blackener can I had (after welding fittings onto it) it holds about twice the normal fuel compliment. I was thinking of making an removable external long run fuel pod to attach to the outside that will lenghen the run time even further, but everythings on hold untill I get back from my middle east tour. the 7.2 battery pack onboard for the lights,fans and start system will pritty much last all day for its a 5000mah pack that's only function is to cool the engine and start it (unless I do a whole bunch of starts, even then it seems endless) and the tripple redundent reciever power supplies, although worked with all the servos in the trailer, still last super long (a total of 2300mah at 4.8V I believe) for simplicity, and because its a pain opening the armor for access, I have incorperated a charge port, and a quick fuel port on the side, so I can just plug everthing into the side and away we go. (i love the quick fuel port, makes it like a real truck) I do need some advice though, I'm looking at replacing my stock sliders (the trucks a 2.5) because there ready to break, and I really like the blue booted CVD ones from traxxas, but have herd that they only fitt the 3.3, is this true? if so , I' still want CVD's but I want ones with rubber boots on both ends, is there a company that makes them for the 2.5?

That is cool. I would like to print up those pictures and send them to my son who just signed up for the ARMY. He has a T-maxx as well, nothing like that one...My hats off to ya man GREAT JOB

That is way too cool! That has to be one of the coolest things I have seen done with a T-Maxx! Very nice work.

For pics, why not set up a photobucket account to host pics. It's free and then you can post as many pics as you would like.

actually, thats a good idea, i do have a photo bucket site, I have rather limited internet acess onboard my destroyer over hear but i'm gonna give it a try, hears a video of its madian voyage, (it quits a bunch because I had a pinched fuel line)
[ame=http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/funkytechnician/?action=view&current=MVI_0289.flv]
th_MVI_0289.jpg
[/ame]
hears the muffler I built

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

a few shot during the build up (old tranny hear) you can see my home made fuel tank
IMG_1078.jpg

tring to get it started for hte first time ( it ran like crap that day due to the pinched fuel line)
[ame=http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/funkytechnician/?action=view&current=MVI_0287.flv]
th_MVI_0287.jpg
[/ame]
I have some of the most recent pictures on my laptop hear with me but I cna't get them onto photo bucket it seems, we have restrictions on our web usage, security you know

crap, if I hadn't wasted my quota on those first pics (which I had on photobucket) i could have used my attachment space for the more recent pics on my laptop that show the new tires and are just better pics, how long is the attachment restriction on for, is it like a time thing, like in 24H i can post more or something? if so I'll post them soon as it clears, but fo rnow hears some more
IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

That is VERY, VERY slick. I would sure enjoy seeing it in action.
You can edit your first post, removing the attachments and replacing them with the images from Photo Bucket. Then you can delete what you uploaded here.
When you upload anything new, use a smaller file.

that is the sweetest thing i have ever seen

but isnt that high flow air filter bad for the engine??

bad dude thats awesome howd you do the exhaust

howd ya do the exhaust

that is one sick looking Maxx I would love to devote sometime into doing something like that except most my time goes into fixing my truck after taking it out.

Holy crap man. Even if you told me it doesn't work. The build would still impress the hell out of me.
Very impressive........

Absolutely amazing, words cannot describe the crafstmanship and attention to detail that goes into this rig. RC's, explosives, missiles, if there was a hot chik somewhere in the mix, my life would be complete. Congratulations man on an amazing build, and welcome to the best RC site on the planet. You will not find a better group of guys, and if you aren't careful, you may take this thing out in a few months and realize that there are RC missiles being fired from a bunker in the neighbors flower bed. I could see this catching on rapidly. I've never seen an RC battle like this before with real missiles, but you can believe I will be looking into this. We have some really good competition at our crawler comps, but they wouldn't be so good if someone was to shoot their LiPo battery with an explosive missile, now would they=devil