MGT 8.0 with LRP.32 SPEC 4 Finished :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodosThiccBoi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello as my dad and I have been in this great hobby for over 2 years and we are only interested in nitro rc, a few days ago he gave me a nitro lrp 32 spec 4 engine as my birthday present (MGT 8.0 broke his con rod second time after the process brake in recommended way by the manufacturer lol). Before we start a brake in process I have a few questions. We come from Poland and the access to parts is a bit difficult and I was forced to use the exhaust from (i think) Traxxas Revo 3.3. Is that not a big deal? i mean i have no other exhaust to fit in MGT 8.0 chassis. And another question is how i can brake in this nitro engine? I would like to do it like "Nitro Mike" showed in his video (
) and after it do some extra tanks on middle throttle opened for 2sec. Is that a good way? Maybe someone of you guys have a better solution to do it :)

Attachments

• IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 395
The revo pipe will be far too small to breath properly with that engine. I tried it many years ago with an XTM24.7 engine (much smaller big block than yours). It ran awful and weak.

You could look for a side pipe/header instead. One from the losi LST2 would likely fit as it had the same engine orientation. The pipe stinger would go out the hole in the bottom of your side plate vs go behind the engine.

Not sure you can find one of those either though...
Header: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5050
Pipe: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5059

RD Logics still has one for the LST... not that I'd recommend that pipe over the stock LST2 pipe, but it would be better than the revo pipe.
http://www.rdlogics.com/Part-62900--One-Piece-Rear-Exhaust-Pipe-Set-For-Lst_p_723.html

Other part numbers/alternative for the LST2 pipe/header:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5058

Last edited:
Hello as my dad and I have been in this great hobby for over 2 years and we are only interested in nitro rc, a few days ago he gave me a nitro lrp 32 spec 4 engine as my birthday present (MGT 8.0 broke his con rod second time after the process brake in recommended way by the manufacturer lol). Before we start a brake in process I have a few questions. We come from Poland and the access to parts is a bit difficult and I was forced to use the exhaust from (i think) Traxxas Revo 3.3. Is that not a big deal? i mean i have no other exhaust to fit in MGT 8.0 chassis. And another question is how i can brake in this nitro engine? I would like to do it like "Nitro Mike" showed in his video (
) and after it do some extra tanks on middle throttle opened for 2sec. Is that a good way? Maybe someone of you guys have a better solution to do it :)

LOL...Nitro Mike is into pure speed runs up & down the street ,his pipe & header combo is a 100 bucks
by itself!...:thumbs-down:

The revo pipe will be far too small to breath properly with that engine. I tried it many years ago with an XTM24.7 engine (much smaller big block than yours). It ran awful and weak.

You could look for a side pipe/header instead. One from the losi LST2 would likely fit as it had the same engine orientation. The pipe stinger would go out the hole in the bottom of your side plate vs go behind the engine.

Not sure you can find one of those either though...
Header: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5050
Pipe: http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5059

RD Logics still has one for the LST... not that I'd recommend that pipe over the stock LST2 pipe, but it would be better than the revo pipe.
http://www.rdlogics.com/Part-62900--One-Piece-Rear-Exhaust-Pipe-Set-For-Lst_p_723.html

Other part numbers/alternative for the LST2 pipe/header:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB5058

oh crap they are expensive! I paid about 60 bucks for whole brand new MGT 8.0 (deal of my life lol)

A lot of people like the Adam Drake method for breakin if you want to look in to that

i second the LST pipe and header combo from above. over stock at least definitely a power increase, and even more so over over the revo pipe.
AE/Thunder Tiger did have a side pipe header, but do make sure to get the one for the 4.6/.28, as the .21 version of the side exhaust manifold had a exhaust gasket setup, was more an O-ring, vs the Cap style one typically used.
also second the Adam Drake break in method above.

one thing wanted to bring up though is that the MGT 8.0 gearing, specifically the clutchbell is really high geared for most any other engine really. the 8.0 had massive torque and not much top end so they geared it really high (think it is like 21T?) to get more usable power.
stock CB is 15T-16T, you are going to want to either get smaller diameter wheels/tires, or get a new clutchbell. replacing the clutchbell i believe is going to require a new flywheel & clutch shoe assembly as the 8.0 had a different than standard sized bell on the clutchbell.

Sense the exhaust port points out on the side of the truck ,you would need the side
header like the Losi puts out ,but you can also use the original 28 size header & pipe
that goes by the rear shock tower as well ,like the one on my 4.6 version!

Sense the exhaust port points out on the side of the truck ,you would need the side
header like the Losi puts out ,but you can also use the original 28 size header & pipe
that goes by the rear shock tower as well ,like the one on my 4.6 version!

i like your idea! But is that the same pipe as your (part number: 25426)? And is that will fit on my lrp 32 motor?

i like your idea! But is that the same pipe as your (part number: 25426)? And is that will fit on my lrp 32 motor?

That header & pipe is the AE. brand original that is on the truck for the 28 size engine ,it
also fits the HPI 5.9 which is a 36 size engine ,that LRP 32 isnt no bigger than the 36 size
engine ,I think it will fit ,however ,not quite sure if that side header laying on the table
will fit the LRP ,as it fits very tight on the HPI 5.9 engine!
But the header that is on the truck maybe easier to use an easier to find than that side
header ,they are hard to find!..:cool:

If it was me Id go for an older LST2/XXL pipe or Id go for a JP pipe.

If it was me Id go for an older LST2/XXL pipe or Id go for a JP pipe.
Kind of looks like @cbaker65 went with the jp style pipe, can't tell if it's JP or not. Surprised the JP-1,2,3 would be tuned well for a 28+ engine since they are intended for racing buggies with high rpm 21 engines. If he could find it, the LST1/2 header is a "one piece" type header that uses a gasket and springs like the JP pipes used vs the aftershock/raminator or MGT side pipe header which uses a silicone coupler.

Forgot to add aftershock/raminator headers to the list... same bends (or similar) to the LST2 pipe, but uses a coupler vs springs/gasket, LOSB5049 was that one: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=LOSB5049

Those trucks had a horrible pipe on them, but the header was useful to let you use other 2 piece pipes.

Kind of looks like @cbaker65 went with the jp style pipe, can't tell if it's JP or not. Surprised the JP-1,2,3 would be tuned well for a 28+ engine since they are intended for racing buggies with high rpm 21 engines. If he could find it, the LST1/2 header is a "one piece" type header that uses a gasket and springs like the JP pipes used vs the aftershock/raminator or MGT side pipe header which uses a silicone coupler.

Forgot to add aftershock/raminator headers to the list... same bends (or similar) to the LST2 pipe, but uses a coupler vs springs/gasket, LOSB5049 was that one: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=LOSB5049

Those trucks had a horrible pipe on them, but the header was useful to let you use other 2 piece pipes.
Ahhh I did not know that the JP pipes were meant for .21s. I've never owned one I just know that people used to sing their praises back in the day. Thanks for the lesson Olds :)

Ahhh I did not know that the JP pipes were meant for .21s. I've never owned one I just know that people used to sing their praises back in the day. Thanks for the lesson Olds :)
Just thought they were for 1/8th buggies and racing which were typically limited to .21 big blocks. Then again, people used them on everything from 21's to OFNA 28's back in the day, so who knows?!?! LOL!

I got all of the JP pipes & others ,including the LST pipe!
I use them for different terrain with some of them ,like hill
climbing!... :cool:

ok, today I will start modifying the original exhaust from MGT 8.0 with exhaust header from hpi trugyy 3.5. If the original engine from the MGT 8.0 breathed correctly, the more the LRP will breathe well. When I'm done I will upload photos :)

i did something like this, looks like poop but the airflow is much better

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 113
u should have gotten the 32x and convert it to pull instead. the spec4 pull start version gets outclassed by the 32x spec4.

Yes, today, during the break-in, the engine seized up (i think lol). It was 6-th ideling tank and max temperature was 105 degrees celsius and the fuel dose was rich as trump. Idk what wnet wrong. I returned it to local hobby shop when i bougth her 😭😞 Any ideas? I'm sure thats not my fault. It could be a fault in the material?

Back