Metal or Plastic?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General Lee

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here's the stick guys...

I keep eating up my spur gear on my 2wd slash. I'm running a Velineon VXL 3s that's pushed by Thunder Power 5000 2 cell batteries. A spur gear will last me maybe 4 track days. Everytime I put a new one on I make sure its 100% adjusted with the motor shaft gear.

The cheapy plastic gears are 5 bucks a pop and I've just installed my 5th gear so I'm already 25 bucks into it hehe. The metal gear is 40. Is there any upside/downside to the metal vs plastic besides durability/price???

"It's Only Money, Right?!

Thats too fast, I dont think your meshing it right. I'm running 3s lipo which is insane compared to 2s and I dont go through spurs like that.

Something might also be bent. My friends slash was also eating spurs and shaft had a slight bend in it.

The motor shaft or the shaft that holds the spur gear...? Cause the shaft that hold my spur gear I think does have a slight bend in it cause it wobbles.

If your stripping plastic ones that fast then imagine if you put a metal spur on...
What would be the next weak point..?? gears inside ur tranny maybe..??

Stick with plastic and try to find the problem why they are stripping..
its much easier to replace a spur then tranny gears...

It wouldn't take much of a wobble to cause it. It could be a bearing that could be causing it.

So we are assumiing that I have either a bent spur gear shaft or a bent. Motor shaft...??

I guess I'll just replace both of them. There goes 40 bucks hehe.

I've been thinking on how you would check to see if its bent. Pull out the trans set it on the table. Use a tape measure and measure up from the table and see how much the shaft goes up and down when you turn the spur.

Not a bad idea I'm gonna start taking it apart.

Back