Merv esc acting funny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead Matt

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm running an old, AM TQ radio on my merv. The esc keeps acting funny. I'll set the trim, get the green light at neutral and at full throttle. Seems to be working fine. But after a few seconds of running the truck, it seems to go into a limp mode, or training mode, and the esc flashes me the red blinking light. The truck will cog and only seem to run at about half power. I can shut the esc off, slightly move the trim, turn it back on and it seems to work fine again temporarily. I'm thinking the problem is with the old radio or receiver. Am I missing something? I reset the esc to make sure it was on full power. It programs normally. I had to play with the trim to even get the esc to stay on for more than a couple of seconds when I first installed the rx. The trim is set to right around 1-2 o'clock. The esc won't stay on with the trim 0'd out. The trigger is set to 50/50, but switching it to 70/30 didn't make any difference, if only slightly worse. Any ideas? Thanks as always.:)

Matt I'm not totaly certain but it sounds like the esc is overheating and starting to go do you have another radio you could try it on.:D

Yeah, I've tried another tx/rx. The esc doesn't get warm at all. I drove the truck for about 10 minutes, playing with the trim and what not. Everything runs cool. I bought a mini slash last year and bumped the trim accidentally one day. Same AM TQ, just way newer.:) I had a helluva time getting that one back to the sweet spot too.

It may just be the esc adj is that touchy i got a novak in my car if i sneeze at wrong it goes out of adj. I can't think of anything else right off the top of my head.If i come up with anything ill yell at you.:whhooo:

I forgot that this thing was being ran on lipos before I got it. Brilliant.:whhooo: Surprised I'm not gettin' nailed for this.:)

Last edited:
I forgot that this thing was being ran on lipos before I got it. Brilliant.:whhooo: Surprised I'm not gettin' nailed for this.:)

What a dumb ass!
:D

Just kidding.

Cogging, limping.... Cogging, limping.... I've heard of this scenario before.... But where?....:)

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

It came to me while watching the news. Hell, lipos were in the original f/s post.:)

Downloaded!:) Damn motor is still cogging like crazy off the line. Top ends there. It's an aftermarket motor, but there's no writing on it. I'll get the skinny and see if anybody has some insight.

Back