"Mean Green" First Trail Run

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
I've had my Redcat Gen8 V2 for a few weeks now, and finally got around to taking it out on a real trail, instead of just around my property. I went to a lightly used town conservation area that is rather rugged. Hence, why it doesn't get a lot of foot traffic. This spot consist of long steep climbs and descents with dense woods and a completely open section where the gas line run. Not a lot of large rock faces, but plenty of rocks and small boulders. Ideal really, for 1/10 and 1/8 scale toys.
The trail I was on is maybe a 2 mile loop with a good combination of dirt, rocks, stumps and some small wet crossings. The narrow trails are well worn by people and animals, and natural materials are put in place by people at all the wet crossings.
0520211629.jpg

0520211620a.jpg

0520211623_Burst01.jpg

0520211710a.jpg

Last edited:
Love the pics!!

Keep it up keep us posted. Good job

I really like the green, it really looks great on the big rock with all the foliage around it. I'm glad your enjoying it, because I'm enjoying your photos. :)

Thanks, Bro! It's starting to get there.
I have both a Gen 7 and Everest 10, they are both awesome crawlers. but prefer the Gen 7 over the Everest 10. The wife like the Everest 10 10 so it works out...;)

I really like the green, it really looks great on the big rock with all the foliage around it. I'm glad your enjoying it, because I'm enjoying your photos. :)
Thank you, Sir!

It is ironic, how much I like that green now because initially, when I saw it in videos on photos, I really didn't care too much for it. It is a really nice color when you see it in real life.

Great looking truck, and awesome pics! :thumbs-up::)
(also, I think your tires are mounted backward on the front)
Thanks, Man!

You're probably right about the tires, but at a top speed of around 5mph, there's no performance issue whether the tires are backwards or not 😁
Actually, it may be better "backwards" because it just looks like it would grab better for crawling purposes.

Dang it! I just saw on YouTube a review of the Gen8V2, in the same green color, and the Tuber titled it Mean Green Crawling Machine. Now, I'm going to have to change the name of my rig.

New name: The Jalapeno

I wonder how good Redcat is now. I remember they used to be pretty crap, but I have heard they are improving drastically.

I remember the RS10 was their 1st crawler and it was not very good as it had 3 link suspension and the motors were 1/18th scale motors and not big enough. Also the crap plastic gear servos broke in the first few runs.
Screenshot_20210612-100722_Google.jpg

People did buy them up for the axles as they were extremely cheap vehicles that had motor on axle (MOA) axles, which are better for serious crawling, and usually extremely expensive.

A lot of people took them apart and just used the axles to build cheaper, but decent comp crawlers.
Screenshot_20210612-100832_Chrome.jpg

I am pretty sure that they don't make this one anymore. The only place you can get motor on axle crawler axles now are the RC4WD Bully 2 axles, which are insanely expensive. If the other option is Clodbuster axles but those are not really good unless you have 4 wheel steering and huge tires, which are not allowed in competition.

I wonder how good Redcat is now. I remember they used to be pretty crap, but I have heard they are improving drastically.

I remember the RS10 was their 1st crawler and it was not very good as it had 3 link suspension and the motors were 1/18th scale motors and not big enough. Also the crap plastic gear servos broke in the first few runs.
View attachment 128057

People did buy them up for the axles as they were extremely cheap vehicles that had motor on axle (MOA) axles, which are better for serious crawling, and usually extremely expensive.

A lot of people took them apart and just used the axles to build cheaper, but decent comp crawlers.
View attachment 128058

I am pretty sure that they don't make this one anymore. The only place you can get motor on axle crawler axles now are the RC4WD Bully 2 axles, which are insanely expensive. If the other option is Clodbuster axles but those are not really good unless you have 4 wheel steering and huge tires, which are not allowed in competition.
I've recently gotten back into the hobby after 10 years off, and I remember Redcat being an cheap, entry level hobby grade brand. I still have a nitro Volcano (?) buried somewhere in my basement. I still also have that crappy RS10. It's basically a roller now, and I'm just holding on to it, because I just don't throw anything away.
Coming back into the hobby, the brand Redcat still makes me think third rate products. However, I'm hearing lots of positives about improvements, and now owning the Scout II, I would have to agree.

I've recently gotten back into the hobby after 10 years off, and I remember Redcat being an cheap, entry level hobby grade brand. I still have a nitro Volcano (?) buried somewhere in my basement. I still also have that crappy RS10. It's basically a roller now, and I'm just holding on to it, because I just don't throw anything away.
Coming back into the hobby, the brand Redcat still makes me think third rate products. However, I'm hearing lots of positives about improvements, and now owning the Scout II, I would have to agree.
My only Redcat experiences were the Shockwave, which was good, but underpowered and had a lot of suspension breakages. I later got the Tornado, which had engine problems every time I ran it and the weird 2 speed automatic transmission never worked properly.
61JgOqglvhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
52ef41be-4bc1-448d-b734-eb3eab2c2a18._SL300__.jpg

I really like my Gen 7 and Everest 10 but my Tornado is a pile of junk.

I really like my Gen 7 and Everest 10 but my Tornado is a pile of junk.
I ended up taking my Tornado apart and usung the hardware for other vehicles. I really would like to get into nitro again but with a definitely nicer vehicle like a Losi 8ight. Shockwave was fun though.

The Losi 8ight is a much better rig. As far as nitro, I love my Kyosho Mad Crusher. It's a ton of fun.