Maybe dumb question on cleaning my truck...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just recently bought a Savage x 4.6 on evilBay and when I got it, the thing is absolutely filthy! I mean there is sand and crud everywhere! In the pics it looked pretty clean but I know they can be deceiving. I think the guy took it out for one last bash and didn't clean it! lol. OK...not here to bash anyone BUT what is the best way to clean nasty sand off the truck? I've never had to clean sand off...just dirt mainly from track like conditions.

I would try and do as much removal of it while it is dry first. Using stiff bristle nylon (or other non marking bristles) to take off all the big chunks so to speak. Hit the big areas first and work your way in. Be sure to keep the carb sealed up tight. Make sure the receiver holes etc... Anywhere you don't want to get more sand in really, are all covered and sealed up. Compressed air would prob be the next step for me. Be SURE to wear eye protection!!!! When it blows back, you'll thank me!!!
That should get you down to the simplest layers. From there, I would prob go back to the brushes, but maybe go with just simple water (obviously be sure that any electronics not waterproof are removed/protected) If it's just simple sand and dirt, you should be back to clean at that point.

Simple green is good stuff. Doesn't stink too bad either!:thumbs-up:

Compressed air works well with sand too. I used canned air due to not having a compressor. Usually knock off the big chunks with a stick or something, then hit it with canned air to get off the other stuff.

On really bad days, I cover the filter with a baggie and hit it with a garden hose, shake it to remove most of the water, then canned air around servos and the engine. Then once dry, I'll put a drop of oil on all visible bearings and wax lube the cv joints.

Ohhhh yeah!!! ALWAYS go thru your bearings, check all the joints, hinge pins, rod ends etc... Whenever you really bury your rig in the mud, sand or salty water(or someone buried it for you in this case)!

I live in an apartment... nowhere to put a compressor. Barely have room for the trucks! That's part of the reason I got rid of my baja 5B.

you just lack imagination! A stand up compressor can double as a holiday decoration throughout the year! A Santa costume for x-mas, ears for the Easter bunny, a white sheet for a ghost on Halloween... :hehe: Martha WISHES she had my talent!!!

you just lack imagination! A stand up compressor can double as a holiday decoration throughout the year! A Santa costume for x-mas, ears for the Easter bunny, a white sheet for a ghost on Halloween... :hehe: Martha WISHES she had my talent!!!
image.png
R2D2

Actually ,all the crud caked on ,doesn't allow the dirt & sand to work in the bearings ,todays bearings have a rubber
seal on them ,the bearings in the 80's & 90's just had a metal shield!

My mgt basher hasn't been washed in 5 years ,an its still rocks & rolls!...:p

Actually ,all the crud caked on ,doesn't allow the dirt & sand to work in the bearings ,todays bearings have a rubber
seal on them ,the bearings in the 80's & 90's just had a metal shield!

My mgt basher hasn't been washed in 5 years ,an its still rocks & rolls!...:p

Kind of how I am. I check to see if things are loose or grindy at the beginning of the season and just replace bearings as needed. Usually not more than a few axle bearings and clutch bearings. I don't run in dirt hardly ever though, so I only get grass stains and road rash from the concrete skate park on mine. :) When I had my 5B though, I'd hit it with a hose after every outing just to wash the splashed fuel off since I stored it in the house... raw fuel smell wafting throughout the apartment is not a good smell. Probably part of the reason why I only drove that thing 15-20 times then sold it. Total waste of $ on that one.

I put my truck in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer. I put it in nose or tail up and spray downward after spraying it down with simple green.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but if you don't take it out in the dirt you'll never have to clean it. Just an occasional dust and wax.

Do a complete tear down, clean/replace bearings, check if engine is gunked up. Give everything a good check over. Use warm soapy water, or degreaser on the plastic parts (check if it's compatible first)

Excellent point!!! There are some very aggressive degreasers out there that will eat plastics. ALWAYS test the plastic!!! NEVER use that stuff on painted surfaces!!!

Simply Green is a great degreaser that is plastic friendly. I use it mixed 1:1 with water in a spray bottle. Make sure to relube all the bearings after you've cleaned everything up.

Back