May I introduce the Official Losi DB/TT Pro Thread!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new one some days ago and now I begin to surgery on the car.

Well, here is the end result!
Sucks to be me right now - LOSI Tenacity DB Pro ( FOX Livery )

I lost. I could not get the pinion off. Heat, chemicals, power tools, but nothing worked. Now what?
BRAND NEW! Received it February 28th, never driven. This was my dream car. Now my nightmare.

The following is a timeline of events up to this point:
After receiving the LOSI Tenacity DB Pro, I went about the process of using 3S Spektrum Smart with this vehicle. This was always my plan prior to receiving the vehicle.

On February 29th, 2020 I began this process. Converting the battery tray was no problem at all. Using high quality Yokomo tools, I attempted to remove the set screw as the directions in the instruction manual state. When this set screw would not move, I watched a YouTube video.
How To Set Up Your Losi Tenacity DB Pro For 3S LiPo Batteries by CCxRC

No heat gun was used at this point. I recognized that I had a problem that evening. I waited till the next day.

On March 1st, 2020, I went to TeamGP track. The owner of that shop is a huge LOSI supporter. This spot is also home to some of Japan's best racers. I arrived and explained the situation to the staff there and other drivers. Many of them came to my aid. All of us combined could NOT remove the set screw.

I immediately sent an email that day. Later on, I would send a 2nd email. I brought the vehicle home and let it sit. The car has never been run.

I get home and go online to my LOSI Tenacity Facebook group. I explain the situation. Some users mention that the locktite might be the reason the set screw won't turn.

I attempted to heat it up with a focused tip Hakko heat gun. This did not work.
Worst case scenario is that I need a Dremel to cut down into that area. I ordered one from Amazon.co.jp immediately. In addition to that, I ordered a pull pinion vice.

On March 2nd, I called Horizon Hobby. I explained the situation to him. He was an excellent listener and we discussed all options. He explained that too much locktite may have been used on this set screw. He suggested that I use a blowtorch. Heat would breakdown the locktite. I explained to him that I had already attempted that.

I needed to speak with D about using a Dremel. I did NOT want to proceed any further until I knew my options. Using a Dremel, was the last thing I wanted to do. I feared using it because of the driveshaft, if cut accidentally, would weaken the motor or cause further damage to the vehicle. Basically, the call was to get consent to attempt to Dremel cut the pinion at the set screw point. I had hoped to shatter that set screw thus releasing the pinion from the drive shaft. This attempt failed ( March 3rd ).

On March 3rd, I received an email from J in the Customer Support dept.. I replied and informed her that I spoke with D and explained the situation. That was at 6am my time today. No response yet.

Now you are up to date:
I've tried everything that I can to remove this set screw and pinion. I consulted experts, I did research, I contacted Horizon Hobby by email and by phone. I wish to return this vehicle in hopes that one of two things will resolve this issue.

FF9CF25C-AF8E-4C58-B436-4EB29CDA74EB.jpeg
0BE6B70E-BB4C-4A33-A073-3AE1D086E4A3.jpeg
39EBD430-EC1B-4536-BC0A-B83441B186E0.jpeg

I’ve had my tenacity pro for about a month and drive it almost everyday on strictly Spektrum 3s batteries. I usually go through 2 battery packs without any problems. I didn’t even know I was supposed to change out the pinion to run 3s batteries before reading this thread. I guess i’m not going to even try to change out my pinion after reading this information.

I’ve had my tenacity pro for about a month and drive it almost everyday on strictly Spektrum 3s batteries. I usually go through 2 battery packs without any problems. I didn’t even know I was supposed to change out the pinion to run 3s batteries before reading this thread. I guess i’m not going to even try to change out my pinion after reading this information.
If I were you I would change to the 3s pinion, as long as you have good tools and use some heat it should come right off? On my Db pro I used my Mip drivers and no heat whatsoever and it popped right off! Good luck ?

Question: Is this compatible with the DB Pro?
my son is insisting in having a green buggy after his favorite YouTuber...
Clear body

ADA45D49-929D-4894-B82D-2D95CD7CDB66.jpeg

Question: can soft LIPOs be used on this?
(I’m new to cars)
As long as they fit, might want to be a bit more cautious with them. I run hard and soft batteries in many of my cars and have never had a problem with any of them.

How tight the couplings need to be? there is significant "play" on the steering. holding the servo arm u can see significant moment on the linkages and the tires. Coming from RC airplanes that makes me nervous.

Sharp vehicle. Bit disappointed at the el-cheapo Transmitter that is included, but LHS had a DX5 PRO, much better.
IMG_4319.jpg

THE ULTIMATE UPDATE! - MUST READ!
The LOSI Tenacity DB PRO - The bane of my existence. Now the story has a conclusion.

The first DB PRO I received had trouble with the Set Screw. Couldn't remove the pinion and the screws were LOCKEDTITE.
I contact Horizon and they work towards solving the problem.
I buy another DB PRO with my own money because I can't wait! ( Corona Virus Panic ) *White one from a different vendor.
Horizon Hobby contacts me and sends me another one ( Not new ).
I received the ( LUCAS OIL ) and the replacement ( FOX ) in the same week.
Now I have 3 buggies sitting in front of me. Some of you would consider this a happy ending but........wait for it.
#1 ( FOX ) is still sitting there undrivable and broken. I still have some guys trying to take it apart.
#2 ( FOX ) the replacement all good? NO! It won't bind and the wheels are fully locked to the left. It is NOT drivable, but I ordered a DX5C controller with the receiver kit. Hopefully, that might get it to work.
#3 ( Lucas Oil ) IT WORKS! OMG! I drove it yesterday and it is awesome!

Wait a minute! Is this racist? Why I had trouble with the black ones, but the white one works PERFECTLY? Also I noticed that white one has a different battery tray holder. It actually has the clip on the track mount.

As they say, the third time is a charm. I'm running the Lucas Oil on 2S though.

I noticed that the steering servo is kind of slow. Any recommendations for an upgrade? The DB Pro jumps really well. It drives so well on a 2S 100C Lipo. The red stripe paint on the wheels chips very easily. I may want to repaint that later. The tires balloon quite easily and I need to know what diff oil weight will tone that down. The nose of this car is going to take a lot of abuse when it comes down.

That's how the story ended folks.

THE ULTIMATE UPDATE! - MUST READ!
The LOSI Tenacity DB PRO - The bane of my existence. Now the story has a conclusion.

The first DB PRO I received had trouble with the Set Screw. Couldn't remove the pinion and the screws were LOCKEDTITE.
I contact Horizon and they work towards solving the problem.
I buy another DB PRO with my own money because I can't wait! ( Corona Virus Panic ) *White one from a different vendor.
Horizon Hobby contacts me and sends me another one ( Not new ).
I received the ( LUCAS OIL ) and the replacement ( FOX ) in the same week.
Now I have 3 buggies sitting in front of me. Some of you would consider this a happy ending but........wait for it.
#1 ( FOX ) is still sitting there undrivable and broken. I still have some guys trying to take it apart.
#2 ( FOX ) the replacement all good? NO! It won't bind and the wheels are fully locked to the left. It is NOT drivable, but I ordered a DX5C controller with the receiver kit. Hopefully, that might get it to work.
#3 ( Lucas Oil ) IT WORKS! OMG! I drove it yesterday and it is awesome!

Wait a minute! Is this racist? Why I had trouble with the black ones, but the white one works PERFECTLY? Also I noticed that white one has a different battery tray holder. It actually has the clip on the track mount.

As they say, the third time is a charm. I'm running the Lucas Oil on 2S though.

I noticed that the steering servo is kind of slow. Any recommendations for an upgrade? The DB Pro jumps really well. It drives so well on a 2S 100C Lipo. The red stripe paint on the wheels chips very easily. I may want to repaint that later. The tires balloon quite easily and I need to know what diff oil weight will tone that down. The nose of this car is going to take a lot of abuse when it comes down.

That's how the story ended folks.
I would call that a happy ending ?

Last edited:
Just made some custom rear mudguards out of some plastic I found, after I cut it out I sanded the surface and then spray painted it black. Sorry no complete photos, the car is stripped down waiting on parts for a rebuild.?
0D073186-974A-4BA1-8C31-3C616B1E697A.jpeg
F83AB57E-07E2-43BE-BF14-7370FCA5EF89.jpeg

spin I think you could take broken set screws 1 radio gear and use it on your faulty 1 radio gear...I've had a Dremel tool since 77 with my 1st purchase still have old 2 speed 1. the best thing to do to get a messed up grub screw is a carbide rasp.. Had a shop by me that sold a mans handful for 5$.. try pencil tip solder Iron . 1st try a modified allen wrench with some heat . A allen hex drive thats a tad larger that you sanded down to fit in allen hex sanded @ slight angle so it will lock in hex....your just learning what many of us know things dont always go smooth with this hobby...

The Verdict
I had a similar issue with a set screw on a BL ECX Ruckus 4x4.. I ended up drilling the set screw out with a small drill bit and that did the job no problems at at all.. The threads where done on the pinion so I found a small tap&die and re threaded it..

Back