May I introduce the Official Losi DB/TT Pro Thread!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.M

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone, this is the official losi tenacity DB/TT pro thread. Here you can post your opinion, pics, videos, upgrades and and info about the Losi DB pro. Here, it will make it easier for soon to be buyers to find info and facts and for current DB pro owners to post there tips and tricks!? (BTW The following few posts have been copy+pasted from another Forum)

I’ll start off with what arrived today!? These pics are taken after the maiden run. I was too excited to drive it and forgot to take pics?‍♂️?
What showed up: 1.5 to 3mm mip hex drivers, TLR nut drivers, a smaller back up charger, proline the glue and last but not least my DB pro!
CFA1F92A-2559-435F-B709-F1E92FCE59A3.jpeg

The Db pro is easily the best handling rig I’ve ever owned, the build quality is 10 out of 10 and I’m really happy with my purchase.
The TLR nut drivers and mip wrenches feel amazing in the hand! The charger seems nice as well. The servo sucks so I have replaced it with an eco boost I had laying around. 25kg 0.11 speed is way overkill for this truck but it feels amazing. The DB pros servo horn is a 23 tooth splined insert but luckily I had a 25 tooth insert lying around. Even though I’ve just been running 2s the motor was hot but thats probably becuase it’s crazy hot right now?. I just removed the the interior panel to let more air flow through to the motor.

6D7603AA-5D8E-4EA6-8C36-680C45B4295D.jpeg

0DDE3D14-C755-4BC5-9B7E-47E7A7B557B1.jpeg

On my second run at the BMX track both rear tires came partially unglued. My glue job isn’t the prettiest but does the trick.?In the next few days. I plan on making front and rear skid plates out of some 3mm steel plate I’ve got laying around. The bearings that replace the steering bushings are 5x8x2.5mm they fit perfect but I’ve only got 2.?Lol. This sums up my first day with a losi Db pro. I will keep this thread updated with my experience with the DB and hopefully some other people can post there pics, tips and tricks here too!???

Last edited:
Motor Heatsink and fan showed up today! Heatsink is to big though?‍♂️- but that will be fixed with my next Amain hobbies order?. (Ignore the wiring, in busy tinkering??) Also put some mesh over the esc fan too?
688F361F-94E7-4094-BAAA-D08D4B226D8F.jpeg

(The following posts are current)
Hey, about to make an amain hobbies order for hardened outdrives and some other bits and bobs!?
just wondering what other people are running for diff oil in the Db pro?
Would also like to know the stock oil weights as I can’t find them anywhere? Thinking of running 7k/7k/5k-f/c/r Thanks in advance!
I will not order until I am sure on the oil weights.?‍♂️ Anyways, does this look like a good start? ?
296A6F22-006B-4E36-94FF-E9D256028583.png

I'm right behind you, Alex, if you don't mind, I want to mirror some of the moves you are making. I hate heat. Heat is the enemy of all things mechanical. I'd like to know what heatsink you've decided to purchase. I mean the one you are going to seat over the engine to keep it cool. Also, the fan.

The tires coming unglued seems to be a common issue straight out of the box. How can I avoid this?

I have only 3S batteries for this car. I know I need to change the ( gear pin? ) before I even run the car. A bit worried about that. If you are running hot on 2S, I'm pretty sure I will burn up on 3S. Aussie RC made a vid on this car and he said 3C is where it's at.

I'm right behind you, Alex, if you don't mind, I want to mirror some of the moves you are making. I hate heat. Heat is the enemy of all things mechanical. I'd like to know what heatsink you've decided to purchase. I mean the one you are going to seat over the engine to keep it cool. Also, the fan.

The tires coming unglued seems to be a common issue straight out of the box. How can I avoid this?

I have only 3S batteries for this car. I know I need to change the ( gear pin? ) before I even run the car. A bit worried about that. If you are running hot on 2S, I'm pretty sure I will burn up on 3S. Aussie RC made a vid on this car and he said 3C is where it's at.
Hey @SpinRush, I don’t mind one bit if you follow my setup! The heatsink I have at the moment is HSP61010p it fits around the motor can perfectly but the fan mount is made for a 40mm fan and I’ve only got 30mm fans?‍♂️, that’s why I’m getting the hot racing one instead. The fans I run are yeah racing 30mm fans, they seem sturdy, reliable and move some air! The only reason I’m running a fan setup is cause when you run 3 Packs back to back in summer heat things get hot!

The tyres coming unglued you can’t really avoid so just buy some tyre glue and you’ll be good to go?

If your running 3s you need to change to the smaller (included) pinion. To do that it’s one screw to pull off the gear cover and then loosen the pinion grub screw, pull off the old pinion and put the new one on then reset your gear mesh (YouTube). And then add the battery spacers (included). Undo 2 screws put the spacers on then done?!

Good luck for when your DB pro arrives, your gonna love it!?

Hey @SpinRush, I don’t mind one bit if you follow my setup! The heatsink I have at the moment is HSP61010p it fits around the motor can perfectly but the fan mount is made for a 40mm fan and I’ve only got 30mm fans?‍♂️, that’s why I’m getting the hot racing one instead. The fans I run are yeah racing 30mm fans, they seem sturdy, reliable and move some air! The only reason I’m running a fan setup is cause when you run 3 Packs back to back in summer heat things get hot!

The tyres coming unglued you can’t really avoid so just buy some tyre glue and you’ll be good to go?

If your running 3s you need to change to the smaller (included) pinion. To do that it’s one screw to pull off the gear cover and then loosen the pinion grub screw, pull off the old pinion and put the new one on then reset your gear mesh (YouTube). And then add the battery spacers (included). Undo 2 screws put the spacers on then done?!

Good luck for when your DB pro arrives, your gonna love it!?
HSP61010p. They only sell that on Russian websites? I searched for it through Google. Everything came up Sputnik.

I don’t know the diameter of the can just now, but I’m assuming you are talking about this. It comes with a Heat Sink. I found this image on Hot Racing’s website.
9D3E7BD8-056C-4139-B662-F22525CF3156.png

HSP61010p. They only sell that on Russian websites? I searched for it through Google. Everything came up Sputnik.
I don’t know the diameter of the can just now, but I’m assuming you are talking about this. It comes with a Heat Sink. I found this image on Hot Racing’s website. View attachment 121302
The HSP heatsink I got from my LHS here in NZ. The stock motor is a 36mm can so buy a heatsink that will fit the motor then buy a good fan that will fit the heatsink?
Yep, that hotracing one is what I will order soon, do note that if you run 3s in your truck you will probably wanna buy the TLR hardened outdrives. I’m only running 2s and the stock diff outdrives are already pretty worn out. That’s why I am making an order with amain hobbies?. On a side note how are you liking the little Reflex B, I’ve been looking at them recently and seem like fun little cars?

WOAH! I thought this wasn’t going to come till Monday. The party starts now. I gotta do an unboxing video now. Just arrived! Like 5 minutes ago.

B755D815-1022-4F3E-9F26-A8D41AE5E79A.jpeg

D424ECDD-B647-4C41-86BB-0B7859C00257.jpeg
F46B320A-1353-4C91-8FF6-F7D9691E28F9.png
0154300F-485E-4FE1-9519-E9428AB388D7.png

1/10 is bigger than 1/8. I’m confused here.

Last edited:
The HSP heatsink I got from my LHS here in NZ. The stock motor is a 36mm can so buy a heatsink that will fit the motor then buy a good fan that will fit the heatsink?
Yep, that hotracing one is what I will order soon, do note that if you run 3s in your truck you will probably wanna buy the TLR hardened outdrives. I’m only running 2s and the stock diff outdrives are already pretty worn out. That’s why I am making an order with amain hobbies?. On a side note how are you liking the little Reflex B, I’ve been looking at them recently and seem like fun little cars?
The Reflex 14B is SOLID. It’s much quicker than you think. After you adjust the shocks and turnbuckles, it’s rock solid. Furthermore, it’s TOUGH. I LOVE that car. Countless laps, it doesn’t break. The tires are an issue. Don’t dare run them on street. You will have slicks in under an hour. Stay on dirt.
How much do I love it? I ordered another one, and the 14T. Now if I’m willing to order a 2nd of the SAME car that should tell you something. Team Associated and the Reedy tech they put into it is amazing. That Reedy Brushless motor. So QUICK on the track.

WOAH! I thought this wasn’t going to come till Monday. The party starts now. I gotta do an unboxing video now. Just arrived! Like 5 minutes ago.

View attachment 121303

View attachment 121309View attachment 121310View attachment 121311

1/10 is bigger than 1/8. I’m confused here.
Congrats on the new truck!!!? That fox version looks epic! The reason the 1/10 looks bigger than the 1/8 is because 1/8 scale buggies are the same size as 1/10 short course trucks. The Db pro is based off a short course truck so the big wing and cage makes it look bigger. And in real life A truck would be bigger than a buggy hence the scale?
The Reflex 14B is SOLID. It’s much quicker than you think. After you adjust the shocks and turnbuckles, it’s rock solid. Furthermore, it’s TOUGH. I LOVE that car. Countless laps, it doesn’t break. The tires are an issue. Don’t dare run them on street. You will have slicks in under an hour. Stay on dirt.
How much do I love it? I ordered another one, and the 14T. Now if I’m willing to order a 2nd of the SAME car that should tell you something. Team Associated and the Reedy tech they put into it is amazing. That Reedy Brushless motor. So QUICK on the track.
Thanks! That 14B looks fun, the problem is where I live there are no rc tracks so I usually drive on mtb tracks and I live in the country so I can see it getting stuck on the grass and rocks?

I been thinking about the DB pro to replace my Ageing SCBE, I’ve seen some confusing videos recently?
I have seen 47mph on 3s for the DB pro.
Seen The cheaper Tenacity DB hit 52mph.
mans the TTPro hit 54mph using the same running gear as the DB Pro?‍♂️.
I don’t really want a Tenacity DB, but I feel 47 mph is a tad off the pace.
I’m not sure what mine is hitting these days but it’s using a Surpass 4300kv with 14t, with Arrma BLX ESC , and a Hitec hi powered servo ,

Attachments

• 7AB9AE5C-7291-40C7-9E34-D3D0B53EAFED.jpeg
    7AB9AE5C-7291-40C7-9E34-D3D0B53EAFED.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 74E213EA-9277-4CAF-89B2-B723B66B8775.jpeg
    74E213EA-9277-4CAF-89B2-B723B66B8775.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 0A615968-4A3E-4DBD-A865-C7D7CF4E67BB.jpeg
    0A615968-4A3E-4DBD-A865-C7D7CF4E67BB.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 13A5564C-139C-4E6C-B36F-ACC18D82FD8C.jpeg
    13A5564C-139C-4E6C-B36F-ACC18D82FD8C.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 155
Setup Issues:
A lot of time was wasted yesterday. I’m supposed to go the track in about 7 hours. The car is NOT ready.

1st Issue: Trying to switch the pinion out. The set screw will NOT turn. I tried for hours. It would not turn. It felt like my tools were going to break. I could not get that pinion off to switch it out. The battery tray was really easy. The pinion is totally different story. I was defeated.

2nd Issue: The front wheels seem really off on startup. I shouldn’t have to set the trim to 8 o’clock just to get them center. Furthermore, when I turn the wheels to the left, it’s shallow. Not max turn. What’s worse when I turn the wheels to right, I get full extension but I can hear the servo motor buzzing as it’s still trying to turn the wheels but it’s meeting resistance. No sound when I turn to the left.

498D3D85-D632-4019-B998-2B407ED4615B.jpeg

3rd Issue: Is there no binding key that comes with this kit? I panicked when I couldn’t find the binding key. I see there is a “Bind” button, but no key? Every car I’ve purchased has one of those binding keys.

4th Issue: Maybe I have to reset the servo horn just to get things center.
The car is NOT ready to run. I have only 3S batteries. If I can’t get that set screw out and the 2S pinion out, I’m screwed. My Team Associated rigs don’t give me any poop at all. They just run. All I have to do is make tuning adjustments.

@SpinRush That sucks about the pinion screw, may I ask what tools you have? Removing the 3s pinion screw with my MIP wrenches was tight but doable. I feel like with cheap tools it would’ve stripped?‍♂️ Try adding heat to the screw then try?

When I got my Db pro the steering was like that as well- even after changing servos, you have to recalibrate the steering, the method I used goes as followed:
Start with radio off- car on. Set throttle and steering trim dials all the way to the right. Hold 100% reverse and turn steering wheel 100% to the right while turning the radio on. Wait a few seconds then release trigger and wheel. Turn steering wheel all the way left then all the way right. Turn radio off then turn car off. Re-centre the team dials.

After this the steering should be good to go?
If you do want to swap servos you have to replace the servo horn insert with a 25t one so you can run standard servos. The stock one is 23t. Kind of annoying.?
You don’t need a bind key for this receiver and if you do need a bind key just use one from you other cars.

Just take a break and then come back to it. If your getting frustrated then it’s no longer a hobby and more a job?
Good luck!

I been thinking about the DB pro to replace my Ageing SCBE, I’ve seen some confusing videos recently?
I have seen 47mph on 3s for the DB pro.
Seen The cheaper Tenacity DB hit 52mph.
mans the TTPro hit 54mph using the same running gear as the DB Pro?‍♂️.
I don’t really want a Tenacity DB, but I feel 47 mph is a tad off the pace.
I’m not sure what mine is hitting these days but it’s using a Surpass 4300kv with 14t, with Arrma BLX ESC , and a Hitec hi powered servo ,
Hey-nice truck! I think the New tenacity Db was slower in the vids due to a headwind or inconsistent speed meters. To actually register the speed the gps needs at least a few seconds of full throttle?
5MPH isn’t really a big difference any way?‍♂️ If you already have an scbe you probably won’t see a huge difference, they are basically the same truck anyway. You could get something different like a TT pro though?

Yesterday was a horrible day with LOSI DB Pro. I took the car out to one of the most popular tracks in Japan. The owner there loves LOSI and even has a huge TLR banner on the outside wall. He saw the DB and was very impressed!
All of the other guys came over to check it out too. Only one problem though, that set screw ( aka grub screw ). Once everyone saw this, they all rushed to their tool kits. Multiple attempts by every member there to remove it FAILED. It was a major disappointment for all.

The owner of the track wants to turn off the track lights next time so we can run with the LED lights.

I have contacted Horizon Hobby about this. By email though. I won’t hear from there until Tuesday my time, Monday their time. I’m expecting a negative response already.

The guys suggested that I have to imagine the worst case scenario which means using a Dremel cutter. I’ll try a minus cut first and see if I can get a screwdriver in there. I have to be very careful not to cut the motor shaft. Yeah, it’s that bad! I’m totally defeated by such a small screw.

Some have suggested that I just run with the 3S batts I have and just watch the temps. Nah, I’m not doing that. I’ll always be in a constant state of tension and that is just not enjoyable.

I have the bluetooth module connected to the controller and the Spektrum Dashboard app. Haven’t been able to test it out because we are still dealing with this issue.

With that said, I have NOT been able to drive the car at all. I think they used a whole bottle of locktite on that set screw.

Look at your instruction manual, page 8. Just loosen the screw and remove the screw. They made it sound so easy. Perhaps, they even assumed that it would be that easy. I don’t think they knew that someone in China slammed it all the way in there. Honestly, no one is getting that pinion off my car.

So I ordered this here.

E34EDAB8-8C72-468E-AA81-C16D40411ECD.png

Hopefully, this will get the job done.

I know it’s a great car. I really didn’t want to start things off like this. It’s heartbreaking. I’ve taken 2 L’s from LOSI now within a month.
The LOSI MINI 8ight DB - Servo horn was off right out of the box. Fixed that, then the right A arm snapped on the first run.
The LOSI DB PRO - Set Screw unremovable, Steering off, not centered. Need to recenter the servo horn.

Other brands have not given me any issues like this.
Arrma 6S BLX Typhon, not a single issue straight out of the box.
Team Associated 14B and 14T, no issues right out of the box.
WLToys 144001 ( The Cheapest of the Cheap ) no issues right of the box.

So I ask myself, what’s up with LOSI?

I understand these things happen. It’s part of the craft. Wrench work is often necessary, maintenance is a real thing. However, when lightning strikes twice in the same place, it will make you say “WTF”?

The plan is wait to hear from Horizon Hobby. I will see if they are willing to assist me with this damn pinion. Will they just say “Sorry bro, you are on your own”? Will they accept the vehicle back and discover what is going on from their factories in China? Will they just fix and return, or return and replace?

If I’m all alone on this, then the Dremel is coming out. I’ve spent over 1K on this buggy. ( ALL THE SPEKTRUM Accessories ). Plus shipping costs. Sigh.

Hey, want to see something happy? Check out this video from my YouTube channel. It was supposed to feature the LOSI DB Pro! I guess that will have to wait. P.S: I tried using my Hakko heat gun to try to warm it up. It’s NOT coming out.

Yesterday was a horrible day with LOSI DB Pro. I took the car out to one of the most popular tracks in Japan. The owner there loves LOSI and even has a huge TLR banner on the outside wall. He saw the DB and was very impressed!
All of the other guys came over to check it out too. Only one problem though, that set screw ( aka grub screw ). Once everyone saw this, they all rushed to their tool kits. Multiple attempts by every member there to remove it FAILED. It was a major disappointment for all.

The owner of the track wants to turn off the track lights next time so we can run with the LED lights.

I have contacted Horizon Hobby about this. By email though. I won’t hear from there until Tuesday my time, Monday their time. I’m expecting a negative response already.

The guys suggested that I have to imagine the worst case scenario which means using a Dremel cutter. I’ll try a minus cut first and see if I can get a screwdriver in there. I have to be very careful not to cut the motor shaft. Yeah, it’s that bad! I’m totally defeated by such a small screw.

Some have suggested that I just run with the 3S batts I have and just watch the temps. Nah, I’m not doing that. I’ll always be in a constant state of tension and that is just not enjoyable.

I have the bluetooth module connected to the controller and the Spektrum Dashboard app. Haven’t been able to test it out because we are still dealing with this issue.

With that said, I have NOT been able to drive the car at all. I think they used a whole bottle of locktite on that set screw.

Look at your instruction manual, page 8. Just loosen the screw and remove the screw. They made it sound so easy. Perhaps, they even assumed that it would be that easy. I don’t think they knew that someone in China slammed it all the way in there. Honestly, no one is getting that pinion off my car.

So I ordered this here.

View attachment 121337

Hopefully, this will get the job done.

I know it’s a great car. I really didn’t want to start things off like this. It’s heartbreaking. I’ve taken 2 L’s from LOSI now within a month.
The LOSI MINI 8ight DB - Servo horn was off right out of the box. Fixed that, then the right A arm snapped on the first run.
The LOSI DB PRO - Set Screw unremovable, Steering off, not centered. Need to recenter the servo horn.

Other brands have not given me any issues like this.
Arrma 6S BLX Typhon, not a single issue straight out of the box.
Team Associated 14B and 14T, no issues right out of the box.
WLToys 144001 ( The Cheapest of the Cheap ) no issues right of the box.

So I ask myself, what’s up with LOSI?

I understand these things happen. It’s part of the craft. Wrench work is often necessary, maintenance is a real thing. However, when lightning strikes twice in the same place, it will make you say “WTF”?

The plan is wait to hear from Horizon Hobby. I will see if they are willing to assist me with this damn pinion. Will they just say “Sorry bro, you are on your own”? Will they accept the vehicle back and discover what is going on from their factories in China? Will they just fix and return, or return and replace?

If I’m all alone on this, then the Dremel is coming out. I’ve spent over 1K on this buggy. ( ALL THE SPEKTRUM Accessories ). Plus shipping costs. Sigh.

Hey, want to see something happy? Check out this video from my YouTube channel. It was supposed to feature the LOSI DB Pro! I guess that will have to wait. P.S: I tried using my Hakko heat gun to try to warm it up. It’s NOT coming out.

That sucks? If you or one of your buddy’s at the track has a soldering iron press it on the screw head for 30seconds to cook the loctite, then presuming you haven’t stripped the screw you should be able to get it out. ?
Good luck

The Dremel is coming! I will start surgery on the car tonight or tomorrow.

That’s good, just be careful not to damage the motor shaft? If you haven’t stripped the screw I would still try the soldering iron solution, if it is stripped let the surgery begin!

Back