Mamba X + new castle engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyspanker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

looking to upgrade ESC and engine on my slash Ultimate and want to go with Mamba X for ESC but having a hard time figuring out which engine to go for (running on 3s at the moment)

Castle recommended their 1415 engine 2400kv but more than one said I would actually loose power on that compared to the 3500kv stock Traxxax engine. I also had a look at their 1512 at 2650kv and 1515 at 2200kv as I believe those also fit.

I am fairly new to RC and this just feels as a jungle the more I read about it. Surely these engines should be better than the stock one given their price?

Any thoughts / opinions / expertise would be greatly appreciated!

I am not looking to do speed runs here, I mainly bash and I would just like the car to be stronger. Sensor motor is also something I really like, to get rid of the clogging at low speeds.

/Andreas

The higher the kv. The more rpms you get. And less torque.. lower the kv. More torque and rpm speed. It's all in the gearing.

id go with the 1515 motor not a engine(wrong terminology)3 cell on a 2 wd slash is going to be hard on the rest of the truck.

That 2200 will rip your trans apart. You want to go 3000 or higher. Really in a sct they are built more for speed not tourqe.. you definitely want higher kv with the motor. Electric cars have motors and nitros have engines just a heads up 😉👍👍

Hi all!

looking to upgrade ESC and engine on my slash Ultimate and want to go with Mamba X for ESC but having a hard time figuring out which engine to go for (running on 3s at the moment)

Castle recommended their 1415 engine 2400kv but more than one said I would actually loose power on that compared to the 3500kv stock Traxxax engine. I also had a look at their 1512 at 2650kv and 1515 at 2200kv as I believe those also fit.

I am fairly new to RC and this just feels as a jungle the more I read about it. Surely these engines should be better than the stock one given their price?

I am not looking to do speed runs here, I mainly bash and I would just like the car to be stronger. Sensor motor is also something I really like, to get rid of the clogging at low speeds.

/Andreas
You should look into the sidewinder it's made for SCTs. Or the new copper head esc. It really comes down to the weight of the RC.. The mamba X is made for bigger heavier trucks honestly. I run the mamba and the 2200kv in my Emaxx I built. And it weighs around 10lbs or just under

FWIW, the 1415/2400 would likely be noticeably more power than the traxxas 3500. The 1415 is a 3670 motor, the traxxas 3500 is a 3660. The longer can of the 1415 will give you more torque. The new traxxas 2400kv motor is a 3670 which would likely be on par with castle 1415.

KV doesn't really depict "torque", just the rpm's it will spin per volt. Some say the lower KV does produce torque lower in the RPM range than an identical motor of a higher KV rating.

If you want to run 3S (and possibly 4S that the MambX will allow), you likely want to stick with a lower kv motor like the 2400.

The 1515 is a 1/8th motor that's 4274 in size. I ran one for a while in my slashpede 4x4 (the old traxxas 2200kv from v1 erevo's), but it was old/tired and I repalced it with an arrma blx 4074 2050kv. I run it off a blx185 (150A 1/8th esc) on 4S. It's crazy fast, but fun.

FWIW, the 1415/2400 would likely be noticeably more power than the traxxas 3500. The 1415 is a 3670 motor, the traxxas 3500 is a 3660. The longer can of the 1415 will give you more torque. The new traxxas 2400kv motor is a 3670 which would likely be on par with castle 1415.

KV doesn't really depict "torque", just the rpm's it will spin per volt. Some say the lower KV does produce torque lower in the RPM range than an identical motor of a higher KV rating.

If you want to run 3S (and possibly 4S that the MambX will allow), you likely want to stick with a lower kv motor like the 2400.

The 1515 is a 1/8th motor that's 4274 in size. I ran one for a while in my slashpede 4x4 (the old traxxas 2200kv from v1 erevo's), but it was old/tired and I repalced it with an arrma blx 4074 2050kv. I run it off a blx185 (150A 1/8th esc) on 4S. It's crazy fast, but fun.

Hi all!

/Andreas
Andreas,, I would listen to what Olds saying. He is a very knowledgeable gent. Very well round Rc guy here. Lots of good info..
Olds would like you opinion going to I'm you in a few. I'm torn on a ESC for the X.. if you don't mind sir..

Andreas,, I would listen to what Olds saying. He is a very knowledgeable gent. Very well round Rc guy here. Lots of good info..
Olds would like you opinion going to I'm you in a few. I'm torn on a ESC for the X.. if you don't mind sir..
I don't run anything as big as the Xmaxx. I have a buddy that runs 1/6-1/5 scales though, the k8s, o8s and xmaxx. Pretty sure he runs the MMX8S in his k8s and max5 in the Xmaxx. He may run a max6 in his xmaxx... I can't recall. I know 3 of us run the max6 in our 6S trucks, but with higher kv motors than you would run in the X. I'd likely lean towards the max5 though in that large of a truck.

The MMX8S seems to not be the best for a basher. I've seen a few on the arrma forums where the motor plugs pull out of the esc board completely and castle doesn't warranty for that. My buddy has mentioned many times that he will likely move the MMX8S to his limitless build and get a max5 for his k8s before he breaks the MMX8S in it. I know he runs the full castle system in that currently, so not sure what motor he would go with. Pretty sure he's still running the stock spektrum smart system in his O8S though, which is essentially a max6 esc and 4685 1200kv motor.

I currently run a max6/HW 4985 1650kv in my kraton, which he does as well. I haven't run mine yet, but have seen his and it's a very nice combo for that truck on 6S. I also run a max6/4092 1650kv in my outcast on 6S and it's a real ripper. I ran the same system in my kraton towards the end of last year and it seemed kind of tame in it which is why I'm trying the 4985 in it now. Hoping it's a little more peppy. lol!