Magnet Modification for SCX24

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
This mod is for those of you who don't like fiddling around with body clips.

1st of all I can't take credit for this idea, saw it on Youtube and I apologize to the vids creator but I can't remember who it was, you know how it is, one vid links to another, then another, and so on.

First thing, you will need a few items:

1. A thin styrene sheet (about the same thickness as your vehicles body) if you pay attention sometimes this material is used in packaging and you can get it free that way if you pay attention before throwing packages away. I had styrene stock here already. You don't need much for this project.

2. Superglue

3. Two sided tape, I use tape for electronics, such as holding cellphone screens in place. Very good stuff and rated for high temps.

4. An Xacto knife or similar cutting tool.

5. A small neodymium magnet (rare earth magnet)

6. A small thin steel washer

STEP 1: CUT AND PREP STYRENE
I cut thin strips of styrene - 2 pieces of equal size. Sorry, I didn't measure anything, just eyeball it, that's how I roll.

Once you cut the styrene, one piece will get two holes drilled in it. I placed the styrene inside the body, took a pencil and marked where the holes will go. Then I drilled the holes with my dremel tool, the holes need to be big enough to fit over the body mount pegs. This piece will sit on those pegs making a bridge between them.

The next piece of styrene will be for the body. For this one you want to attach the two sided tape to one side and stick it to the body where the body mount holes are. Be careful not to place tape directly under the holes or dirt and debris will stick to it.

PSX_20220213_144013.jpg

STEP 2: ATTACH BOTTOM STRIP OF STYRENE TO MOUNTING PINS

This is the piece of styrene with the holes drilled in it. Before attaching, lower the mounting pegs as low as they can go. Then place styrene strip over pins and lock in place with body clips the same as you would when clipping the body shut only without the body.

PSX_20220213_144057.jpg

STEP 3: THE MAGNET PART OF THE PROGRAM

This is where we superglue the magnet and washer in place. First I superglue the magnet in place in the center of the bridge we made. Once the super glue is dry I place the washer on the magnet so it is centered. I carefully apply super glue to the top of the washer, (you can use a toothpick for this) careful not to let it get on the magnet, you do not want to glue the washer to the magnet. While the glue is still wet, close the body, it should sit on the washer. Once the glue dries the washer will stick to the body.

PSX_20220213_144142.jpg

I do it this way because it is the easiest way to ensure the washer and magnet line up.

PSX_20220213_144239.jpg

Some of you may be wondering why we needed the top plate and didn't just glue the washer directly to the body. Well I'm glad you asked, the reason for taping the plate to the body is that superglue can damage the paint and leave visible discoloring seen from the outside. By taping the plate on it gives you a protective layer.

I know, this wasn't the best tutorial, but honestly I wasn't thinking about it until I was halfway done or there would be more pics.

Anyhow, this mod works great and closes quite firmly. I can pick up the Deadbolt, give it a good shake and it stays closed, while still being easy enough to open, and no longer having to deal with body clips.

If you want to give it a try, and have questions, feel free to ask. As far as I know this method should work on all kinds of vehicles of the crawling or street variety.

Thanks for following along and trying to make sense of my ramblings. :thumbs-up:

Attachments

• PSX_20220213_144342.jpg
    PSX_20220213_144342.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 69
Great tutorial, J!

Personally, I don't mind the body clips on the SCX24s. Weirdly, l kinda prefer them. My FMS Atlas' uses magnets to secure the body, and while it is plenty strong, I still have this mental hang up that it could just suddenly give.

For all my rc that had body clips, I do glue a rare earth magnet somewhere under the body, just for holding my clips when they are removed from the body. I use E6000 adhesive, and apply it directly to the body. E6000 is similar to ShooGoo and doesn't react chemically to anything (as far as I've experienced).

I have E6000, just didn't have the time to let it dry, hobby time was limited today between chores. :)

Thank you, I use magnets on my deadbolt too. With a strip stuck to the top of the esc and the other on the underside of the body. So not as neat or as strong as yours. My eyes are not good enough to cope with the clips.

Thank you, I use magnets on my deadbolt too. With a strip stuck to the top of the esc and the other on the underside of the body. So not as neat or as strong as yours. My eyes are not good enough to cope with the clips.

My fingers don't want to cooperate with the clips! 🤣

Does CA melt saran wrap? I've used saran wrap on several projects in the past. Spray foam will damage pex, so I wrap a dowel rod as a placeholder, foam the access cutout, and let it cure. Remove the dowel rods and Viola, perfect! Same effect with drywall mud.
You could put a piece over the magnet temporarily.

Back