lower weight shock oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc-psycopath

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
is there anyway to thin out shock oil? i have a big bottle of heavy weight oil that i dont want to waste, and i need some lower weight oil. it is silicon shock oil. thx

is there anyway to thin out shock oil? i have a big bottle of heavy weight oil that i dont want to waste, and i need some lower weight oil. it is silicon shock oil. thx

you can try mixing it with a thinner viscosity oil? i have never tried it. i don't know how well the 2 oils would mix together. mathematically it makes since tho. i mean take some 60wt and some 20wt half and half them and you should get a viscosity thats in between?

I don't think you can thin it with anything other than lighter oil. You can mix with lower weight oil and split the difference for the most part.

how well would that oil mix with eachother tho? I'm worried that it will stay seperated and kindof act like a 2 stage spring. heavier at bottom, lighter at top

If you use the same brand, it seems to mix and stay mixed pretty good. I've mixed losi oils without much issue, 100w and 60w, needed 80 but my LHS didn't have it. Even if it does separate if it sits for a long time (days), a few compress/decompress movements of the shock should mix it back up.

ok thx I've also heard of people using vegetable oil:\, would that even work?

I'm no expert on vegtable oil. one thing i do know is petrolium based oil will sweel most O-rings. if even slightly. this helps assure a good seal. I'm not so sure organic based oils do the same. i dont think its a good idea.

i tried out vegitable oil and it works pretty good, its just pretty thin. i also tried something else; i have a small bottle of extra old nitro from the fuel, and when it sits for about a week open, the nitro evaporates and leaves the oil behind, it works pretty good.