Losi XXL Conversion into a Rally car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well a friend of brought me a Supra body, and wants to make a custom RC. I was looking at the XXL platform, and it seems like it might work here are some photos with measurements and mock up.

What do you guys think? Is this doable?

DSCF3758_zps000acd00.jpg

DSCF3766_zps08657b18.jpg

DSCF3760_zps8f54b790.jpg

DSCF3762_zps8893147b.jpg

Rear measurement

DSCF3768_zpsff34bec7.jpg

Front measurement

DSCF3773_zps762dd227.jpg

Car body length

DSCF3774_zpsf50b0a4b.jpg

Center wheel well to center wheel well

DSCF3777_zpse1f24127.jpg

XXL tire mount width

DSCF3781_zps7a7520cd.jpg

XXL Tire mount width 2

DSCF3779_zps8752b9dc.jpg

Progress Edit* 08/15/2013:

After much debate with my friend, and research this is the setup we are shooting for.

Esc: Rx8 or Hobbywing 150A
Motor: Leopard 4092 1390Kv
Batt: 2 3s SMC 40C 5100Mah For battery Placement One will be placed on the front shelf below the front shock tower, and the other will be placed on its side behind the motor. This will open up the space right above my servos for an ESC Plate behind the battery tray, and RX close by the tranny. I found a material called kydex mentioned on some sites. Tower hobbies carries sheets thick enough to mold battery trays out of. If Kydex proves to be too tough of a material to work with, I have some other ideas as well.
Chassis: All the chassis plates except the main one will be carbon fiber. Since this car shouldn't see any real 'jumps', other than crashes it shouldn't be an issue.
Suspension: Use smaller Muggy shocks with muggy shock mount, and shafts, then limit with fuel tubing. Will be adding RPM arms as well.
Gearing: To have a variety of spurs avaitlable, I found that the XO-1 slipper setup is 6mm bore, which is the diameter of the LST2 tranny output shaft. :) I will be able to go as high as 34T on the Pinion, and as low as 43T on the spur. (maybe lower haven't looked at all the spur options for the XO-1 yet.)
I have to find out what size spacer I will need, and other details, but the idea looks pretty feasible.
tires and wheels: 1/8th buggy tires Road rages or Losi 8ighth for on road, and Jconcepts Subcultures for dirt road driving.

This build above should yield speeds in the high 45s to 50s on the buggy tires. If I need more speed I have some more mods up my sleeve.

*Progress Edit 8/20/13

Well I got the front and rear mounted to the xxl chassis, and moved all the carbon fiber plates. The next thing on the list is the suspension.

DSCF3825_zpse289d15b.jpg

DSCF3826_zps03c1837e.jpg

DSCF3828_zpsecfb7427.jpg

DSCF3830_zps57955c71.jpg

DSCF3831_zpsecc150f9.jpg

DSCF3832_zps9ff68058.jpg

DSCF3833_zps762bca64.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you get a body that size?

a friend gave it to him, I haven't pulled any manufacturer numbers off the original RC, but its from a cheapo toy r us type RC. but the body certainly has its uses.

Well I did some searching on wheels and tires. I found wheels that should work, but I can only find on road tires for them. Anyone have any ideas on where to find rally tires that will fit these?

ofn86023.jpg

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/ofn/ofn86023.htm?source=froogle&gclid=CMmygu7V7rgCFREV7AodEXwAwg

The diameter is 3.3 inches. I measure the hubs on the XXL and they are just at 3 inches. So I am pretty sure these wheels will work. Only problem is I can only find onroad tires. I haven't found any off-road tread what so ever. Anyone know of any?

Because those are made specially for their 1/8 touring car I believe. You'd be better off using 1/8 buggy wheels, which are almost identical in size, and you'll have every tire option on the planet that way.

Like these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAWBL&P=7

Here are the specs

Width: 1.6" (40mm)
Diameter: 3.2" (81mm)
Hex Size: 17mm

Interesting project BTW, can't wait to see it run.

I was looking at the buggy wheels too, I just wasn't sure which would be better thanks for the advice.

I was looking at the buggy wheels too, I just wasn't sure which would be better thanks for the advice.

No problem man. There are literally TONS of tire options available for 1/8 buggies, that's why I would choose them if it were my project. HPI, and I think Associated both make 1/8 rally cars so you should be able to fine a scale tire if that's what you want also.

No problem man. There are literally TONS of tire options available for 1/8 buggies, that's why I would choose them if it were my project. HPI, and I think Associated both make 1/8 rally cars so you should be able to fine a scale tire if that's what you want also.

The only issue I had for the associated and hpi rally cars are that they all use 12mm, so I would have to try to match the tire to a 17mm wheel. For now the buggy wheels will work fine. Another issue is going to be battery and weight distribution, but I am debating on putting one 3s in front of the tranny and one behind the motor. on the LST2 theres not enough room but on the XXL chassis it looks like it might work out. Once I get the deposit from my friend on the build I will start doing some more. For now its all just research.

Last edited:
Today I received the Carbon fiber LST2. Its in great condition, when I get a chance later today or tomorrow I will post some pics. For now If you are interested in the build check out the new info I posted at the bottom of the first post, on our theoretical setup.

*edit Pics of LST2 as received.
DSCF3821_zps48e7cb6c.jpg

DSCF3820_zpsd7edd718.jpg

DSCF3822_zpsfe7e7f35.jpg

DSCF3823_zps6cde5e19.jpg

Last edited:
Back