Element Ecto build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Got a new Ecto rtr about a month ago. Very impressed by the out of box capability. Biggest thing I didn't like out of box was the violent reverse speed! Holy crap I backwards hopped so much while trying to be easy on the trigger, lol. Took care of that and added some low weight. Here are the changes I've made so far:

- Installed a Hobbywing Fusion SE 1800kv motor/esc
- Moved receiver to waterproof box where the old esc was mounted
- Added beadlock wheels and wheel weights for a total of 400g added down low
- put magnetic mounts in the rear
1000005379.jpg
1000005381.jpg
1000005380.jpg

1000005384.jpg

Got more changes coming soon:

- Ordered new front shock mounts from Rock Pirates yesterday, should get here this week.
- Servo isn't the worst but still plan to grab a high torque Hobbystar servo soon
- Will do thumbnuts on the front body mounts soon. Might weather the stock body with Vallejo paints. Trying to decide on keeping the bed stock or modifying it for a cage or custom kydex flatbed.
- Need to decide which rear shock mounts to get, so far I've looked at Rock Pirates, Morbo carbon fiber mounts, or Boom Racing shock keys.
- New battery tray made from kydex. Already have it 90% done, just need to smooth the edges and dremel some slots for straps, around 15g lighter than stock:
1000005382.jpg

Got the Rock Pirate front shock mounts installed. Really like these a lot.
1000005409.jpg
1000005410.jpg

The hole for the pan hard mount wasn't punched out all the way, but was able to knock out the remaining piece with a few hard taps, not a big deal.
1000005406.jpg
1000005408.jpg

Cracked one of the plastic pillow balls so I just swapped both sides out with a metal replacement.
1000005413.jpg

1000005411.jpg

Got the Rock Pirate rear shock mounts ordered and also ordered a Hobbystar 4521 high torque servo. Should get those by middle of next week.

Installed rear Rock Pirate shock mounts and 70mm aluminum standoffs between the chassis rails.
1000005451.jpg

Also installed a Hobbystar 4521wp servo for a big steering torque boost.
1000005452.jpg

Probably my next step will be siping the stock tires. Had a lot of fun with it last weekend, looking forward to getting it out again!

hello new bestest buddy. I'm gonna have to steal some of your ideas. i just got an ecto, is my first crawler and I'm trying to make mine better, you're so far beyond me i love it.
how do the rear shock towers fit with the bed? you mention removing the bed. i want to run a Rock Pirates flat bed and do cab only. but can't figure out how to keep the cab on afterward?. i was literally asking about this yesterday lol. do you have anywhere you can point me to learn about removing the bed and running it cab only? I'm pretty new and not tryna hijack your thread with a million questions lol
but i really dig your truck
i was planning on upgrading the servo ASAP as it doesn't turn as tightly as id like and I'm afraid of a good rut or rock breaking the factory servo
I'm gonna check out the one you got. man i ramble

I think the front body mounts are sufficient to keep a cab only body in place from what I've read. I'm still trying to make up my mind which direction to go with the body, either buying a cab only body to paint or cutting the stock body.
The new servo is the same one I've been running on my TRX4 for a few months. I'm very happy with the performance, at $50 its one of the best crawling servos you can buy without spending a lot more money.

I think the front body mounts are sufficient to keep a cab only body in place from what I've read. I'm still trying to make up my mind which direction to go with the body, either buying a cab only body to paint or cutting the stock body.
The new servo is the same one I've been running on my TRX4 for a few months. I'm very happy with the performance, at $50 its one of the best crawling servos you can buy without spending a lot more money.
I'm in same place I'm going to wait to cut till i get a flat bed for it, then if it will still fit,,,, ima chop it. so nervous

Last edited:
Took the Ecto out yesterday, new servo is awesome, made a HUGE difference! Really like the shock setup too.
1000005657.jpg

Went ahead and ordered a JConcepts Creep half cab, will paint that this week. Also plan to do either a wooden flat bed or kydex flat bed with a spare tire rack.

Got the Creep cab today, cleaned and got masks on the windows.
1000005669.jpg

Will paint it tomorrow if I dont get to it before dark. Still want to mask off a couple of things.

New cab is painted! Used Tamiya rattle cans, translucent green backed by gun metal, gives a nice dark metallic green color.
1000005676.jpg
1000005678.jpg
1000005675.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the bed done this weekend.😎

Took it out with the stock body for the best crawling day I've had so far. Beautiful county park about a 45 minute drive away, spent 2 hours crawling with my Ecto and TRX4.
1000005720.jpg
1000005726.jpg
1000005724.jpg

1000005723.jpg

Back