Losi Mini B 1/16th scale

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did clean the inside of the body with rubbing alcohol before painting, scuffing it up would have been a good idea though…

Here’s a pic after installing the rx and power button. I need to find where I hid my zip ties, but it cleaned up ok.

Any thoughts on having the antenna lying on the floor pan the way I have it??

Attachments

• 61E21B6E-2313-4752-B39F-693EA7198F62.jpeg
    61E21B6E-2313-4752-B39F-693EA7198F62.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 131
Back before 2.4ghz, you had to have an antenna tube. But as long as you are getting good range out of it, don't sweat it. If you want, you can mount a short 2" or so long tube to run it up through. Just long enough to keep it under the body so you don't have to put a hole through the body. But I have a few RC's that the antenna just lays on the floor.

Back before 2.4ghz, you had to have an antenna tube. But as long as you are getting good range out of it, don't sweat it. If you want, you can mount a short 2" or so long tube to run it up through. Just long enough to keep it under the body so you don't have to put a hole through the body. But I have a few RC's that the antenna just lays on the floor.
Nice!! I thought it would be ok since we were advised we could run the antenna tube of the rustler under the body as opposed to through it

We did clean the inside of the body with rubbing alcohol before painting, scuffing it up would have been a good idea though…

Here’s a pic after installing the rx and power button. I need to find where I hid my zip ties, but it cleaned up ok.

Ok, good!

lol Zip ties are the best! Seriously, you wouldn't think much of these usually small plastic cable ties, but they are just so useful! We bought a whole like 600p pack bundle of them on Amazon, assorted sizes, for I think under $13, to replace our old, much smaller zip tie stash! Look at my attached pic earlier, look closely on the left side, right at the left chassis side guard thingy, what do you spot there running along the chassis? It's hard to see, but the setup is working fine for me! So I'd say having the anntenna on the chassis is ok, ideally have it facing backwards, but it seems you've got that!

We were finally able to run the mini B yesterday. Took it to the LHS’ indoor carpet track. I trimmed the throttle down to 50% and It was plenty quick for starters.
The handling was a mess. I was given some good advice on suspension adjustment and toe/camber adjustment from one of the guys who was also running cars with his son. We made adjustments and while not perfect, This helped a lot.

A couple issues was the car did not want to track straight. It wanted to pull left. Looking for some help as to what can be done. Do I need to fine tune the toe & camber situation? Purchase a gauge?? There is a bit of play in the front end as well, the linkage is a ball and socket set up. Normal or a possible contributor?

Another glitch which happened twice, was the wheels were stuck to one side I think the left both times….. it didn’t seem to be stuck on anything in particular, I had to push the servo horn back to center to correct it. I thought it was caused by a wreck the 1st time, after the second we pulled the car and I brought in the end point adjustment I think that did the trick.

I also think the car would benefit from some weight It was a bit unstable in the corners. (I was warned by one of the forum Jedi’s about a small car being less stable).
My son loved it, the track is not that big and they were busy. I pulled him off the track a few times cause it was turning into a demolition derby. people were driving there pimped out 10th scale racers and others had short course trucks. One guy hit the wall so hard in a brand new 4wd rustler that it went over it….ouch

We were finally able to run the mini B yesterday. Took it to the LHS’ indoor carpet track. I trimmed the throttle down to 50% and It was plenty quick for starters.
The handling was a mess. I was given some good advice on suspension adjustment and toe/camber adjustment from one of the guys who was also running cars with his son. We made adjustments and while not perfect, This helped a lot.

A couple issues was the car did not want to track straight. It wanted to pull left. Looking for some help as to what can be done. Do I need to fine tune the toe & camber situation? Purchase a gauge?? There is a bit of play in the front end as well, the linkage is a ball and socket set up. Normal or a possible contributor?

Another glitch which happened twice, was the wheels were stuck to one side I think the left both times….. it didn’t seem to be stuck on anything in particular, I had to push the servo horn back to center to correct it. I thought it was caused by a wreck the 1st time, after the second we pulled the car and I brought in the end point adjustment I think that did the trick.

I also think the car would benefit from some weight It was a bit unstable in the corners. (I was warned by one of the forum Jedi’s about a small car being less stable).
My son loved it, the track is not that big and they were busy. I pulled him off the track a few times cause it was turning into a demolition derby. people were driving there pimped out 10th scale racers and others had short course trucks. One guy hit the wall so hard in a brand new 4wd rustler that it went over it….ouch
Yay! First drives are always exciting! Yes, I strongly recommend to spend 20-30 min and tune your front and rear camber and toe (if your rear has adjustable toe), as well as centralize your steering, and adjust your servo horn, linkage, ect. to get even and central steering, you'll thank me after doing that! Just use an object like a piece of wood that's mostly square and level. It will run a lot better! Check out online for some camber/toe tuning guides, as for the steering, just set the servo to the center with the trim, adjust the servo saver so it's pointing straight up, 90 degrees from the chassis, then tune the steering linkage and get the wheels are straight as you can. Then go outside and trim the steering after running.

Keep in mind, that up front, when you adjust your toe, it will effect your camber too, and vice versa, so check several times that everything is good!

As for the veering....do the above, (your LHS can help with that) and then trim your steering. If while trimming you need to pull the steering trim significantly over to one side, stop and adjust your steering linkage. The goal is to get even or near even steering. A gauge is not neccesary, it's nice, but I tune my suspension with a pretty square/level wooden block, it's free and works well. So the steering play is in the ball/socket huh? In that case, try a new plastic socket, and also make sure the ball/socket isn't worn down with dirt or sand, and that the screws are snug.

Make sure the steering linkage isn't binding, and your servo could be on it's way out, and that crash may have helped. Tune your steering EPA (End Point Adjustment) too, don't have your servo trying to push the wheels farther when the steering is maxed out, you'll kill your servo. Check this video out, by Amain Hobbies for EPA adjustment.

A smaller car is less stable due to a narrower track width (from one edge of the wheels to another, along the axle) and shorter wheelbase, but adjust the suspension first before making any calls. After that, try a compact "shortie" or stick pack, a compact, but slightly heavier battery might help in the way you want. Demolition derby huh...I find them as funny to watch as the next guy, but not when one of my cars is in it! 🤣🤣 Rustler tough!

Yay! First drives are always exciting! Yes, I strongly recommend to spend 20-30 min and tune your front and rear camber and toe (if your rear has adjustable toe), as well as centralize your steering, and adjust your servo horn, linkage, ect. to get even and central steering, you'll thank me after doing that! Just use an object like a piece of wood that's mostly square and level. It will run a lot better! Check out online for some camber/toe tuning guides, as for the steering, just set the servo to the center with the trim, adjust the servo saver so it's pointing straight up, 90 degrees from the chassis, then tune the steering linkage and get the wheels are straight as you can. Then go outside and trim the steering after running.

Keep in mind, that up front, when you adjust your toe, it will effect your camber too, and vice versa, so check several times that everything is good!

As for the veering....do the above, (your LHS can help with that) and then trim your steering. If while trimming you need to pull the steering trim significantly over to one side, stop and adjust your steering linkage. The goal is to get even or near even steering. A gauge is not neccesary, it's nice, but I tune my suspension with a pretty square/level wooden block, it's free and works well. So the steering play is in the ball/socket huh? In that case, try a new plastic socket, and also make sure the ball/socket isn't worn down with dirt or sand, and that the screws are snug.

Make sure the steering linkage isn't binding, and your servo could be on it's way out, and that crash may have helped. Tune your steering EPA (End Point Adjustment) too, don't have your servo trying to push the wheels farther when the steering is maxed out, you'll kill your servo. Check this video out, by Amain Hobbies for EPA adjustment.

A smaller car is less stable due to a narrower track width (from one edge of the wheels to another, along the axle) and shorter wheelbase, but adjust the suspension first before making any calls. After that, try a compact "shortie" or stick pack, a compact, but slightly heavier battery might help in the way you want. Demolition derby huh...I find them as funny to watch as the next guy, but not when one of my cars is in it! 🤣🤣 Rustler tough!
i lost sight of the fact that I can trim the steering to center it. Thanks for the reminder Dude!
the front end just has some left to right wiggle, I don’t necessarily think it’s in the ball/ socket. Probably more of an inherent issue (If I had to guess)
No room for bigger batteries in this thing, I may try and come up with another option to weight it down a bit.
it’s a work I progress fo sho

This has a list of some the upgrades you can get for the Mini-B, the aluminum steering parts might help with some of the slop and might add weight. I don't know much about the Mini-B's so take any of my advice with a grain of salt. I do know I really want a Mini-B after reading this thread now though 😆 Also the paint job looks sweet! your son did a great job on it

This has a list of some the upgrades you can get for the Mini-B, the aluminum steering parts might help with some of the slop and might add weight. I don't know much about the Mini-B's so take any of my advice with a grain of salt. I do know I really want a Mini-B after reading this thread now though 😆 Also the paint job looks sweet! your son did a great job on it
LOL, that’s, funny I don’t know much about them either…. But having fun figuring it out! Thanks for the link to the upgrades, I’ll check it out.

The paint was definitely the most satisfying part of the build. We are already dreaming up other paint schemes. Would love to try a multi color on the next one….

As long as you're having fun you know you must be doing something right! Yeah multicolor schemes can be pretty cool, and also frustrating when the masking tape doesn't go on how you wanted :D This is my scheme I've done on a few of my buggies (well only two lol) so I would probably stick with it if- no when I get a Mini-B

Attachments

• C57B735A-3412-466C-80AC-7F705D9F2484_1_105_c.jpeg
    C57B735A-3412-466C-80AC-7F705D9F2484_1_105_c.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 55
i lost sight of the fact that I can trim the steering to center it. Thanks for the reminder Dude!
the front end just has some left to right wiggle, I don’t necessarily think it’s in the ball/ socket. Probably more of an inherent issue (If I had to guess)
No room for bigger batteries in this thing, I may try and come up with another option to weight it down a bit.
it’s a work I progress fo sho
Yes, but only use that a little bit AFTER you adjust the suspension, do NOT use it solely, as you'll end up with un-even steering (your car will turn more to one side than the other)! No problem!

All cars have some slop, that's just how the world works! Some cars have more, some have less. You can always play around with it, and perhaps add some shims/washers or slightly wider bearings to help it, but it most likely won't have a very noticeable effect on the handling. Of course, there are a select few cars on which the slop is exceptionally bad and makes the whole rig bad to drive, but yours isn't anything like that. A little slop is actually good, since it means nothing is binding, and nothing is under high stress, but too much slop/backlash is bad!

I have an idea, after you tune the suspension, set the ride height, and all that good stuff, consider some steel chassis plates, like these. Don't go adding too much weight though. Tire choice may also help.

As long as you're having fun you know you must be doing something right! Yeah multicolor schemes can be pretty cool, and also frustrating when the masking tape doesn't go on how you wanted :D This is my scheme I've done on a few of my buggies (well only two lol) so I would probably stick with it if- no when I get a Mini-B
Good looking paint on those cars!!

the pro roller comes with the aluminum front end parts mentioned in the video, that’s actually the shop we’ve been goin to. They also have a larger carpet track as well, it s a great place with great staff.

Yes, but only use that a little bit AFTER you adjust the suspension, do NOT use it solely, as you'll end up with un-even steering (your car will turn more to one side than the other)! No problem!

All cars have some slop, that's just how the world works! Some cars have more, some have less. You can always play around with it, and perhaps add some shims/washers or slightly wider bearings to help it, but it most likely won't have a very noticeable effect on the handling. Of course, there are a select few cars on which the slop is exceptionally bad and makes the whole rig bad to drive, but yours isn't anything like that. A little slop is actually good, since it means nothing is binding, and nothing is under high stress, but too much slop/backlash is bad!

I have an idea, after you tune the suspension, set the ride height, and all that good stuff, consider some steel chassis plates, like these. Don't go adding too much weight though. Tire choice may also help.
Going to focus on dialing in the front end….Thanks for the continued advice!

Thank you!

the pro roller comes with the aluminum front end parts mentioned in the video, that’s actually the shop we’ve been goin to. They also have a larger carpet track as well, it s a great place with great staff.
Ok gotcha, as I said I don't know much about the Mini-B 😄 Oh nice! I watch the YT channel from time to time. Well that's always good to hear!

Going to focus on dialing in the front end….Thanks for the continued advice!
Ok, cool! Be sure to also spend a little time tuning the rear too!

OMG! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, no wait.. it’s a Mini-B 😈

View attachment 145781
INCOMING!! Watch out! *ducks* Phew, that nearly took me out @Hammer Down, the nerve! 🤣🤣 It appears it took off that makeshift jump, must've been moving though, I don't know how you caught that much air in your living room, or how you got this shot! I just hope there wasn't anyone sitting on the left most side of the sofa...I'd make a run for it if the Mini-B made, um, "impact"! 🤣🤣

INCOMING!! Watch out! *ducks* Phew, that nearly took me out @Hammer Down, the nerve! 🤣🤣 It appears it took off that makeshift jump, must've been moving though, I don't know how you caught that much air in your living room, or how you got this shot! I just hope there wasn't anyone sitting on the left most side of the sofa...I'd make a run for it if the Mini-B made, um, "impact"! 🤣🤣
🤣 here’s the vid. My vids aren’t edited and raw.. maybe boring to some… but here it is anyway... 😉🤙

Looks like you need a basement extension! I have been fighting the urge to get a Mini-B, your not helping. 🙄
As my dad used to say when we were a little younger, "Fight that urge!"! 🤣🤣 Are you just looking at that, or also considering smaller scale buggies? (I just can't resist...one look at my PP might tell you where I'm going with this!)
🤣 here’s the vid. My vids aren’t edited and raw.. maybe boring to some… but here it is anyway... 😉🤙

Cool, I'll give it watch later!

Back