Losi Mega Baja hard/no start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEGA BAJA 1978

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got a brand new Losi Mega Baja nitro beetle for christmas and finally got the chance to get it out of the box today. Charged the reciever pack, checked it over, filled it with fuel, and got the hand held starter out and tried to get it running. Very hard to start actually almost not starting at all killed a fully charged battery pack in the hand held before any signs of life in the engine. Pulled out the glow plug and it is glowing but still nothing. Installed a new one my brother had and the thing came roaring to life. VERY HAPPY. After the break in procedure and tuning and adjusting and refueling ,ran a couple of tanks of fuel and no problems shut off and it would start back up with no problems. Let it sit about an hour went to start again and nothing. Tried to get running for an hour straight and nothing. It has fuel, tried both glow plugs, adjusting the carb and nothing. There is fuel coming out of the exhaust during cranking. PLEASE HELP !

hold a blow drier over the head for about 30 seconds before you try starting it when its cold, it should start on the first pull if it's primed. Nitro engines always start easier when already warm.

They come real rich from the factory for wear in purposes. I have 2 Losi's. 8T and 8B. Sounds like yours is way to rich to start. Try cracking loose the glow plug and crank it over a few times to get the fuel out, then tighten the plug and try again. It should start. You are going to have to lean out the high side idle. (The bigger screw facing up.) Make sure to run 2 - 3 tanks of gas at an idle, then drive one around at a medium throttle. Follow the directions how to wear it in. Hope that helps!:)

Is this your first nitro truck? Are you priming the engine before trying to start it? What are you using for a glow heater? Sub-c rechargeable or alkaline?

How do you leave the engine? With fuel or do you clear it out? Sounds like you may have a problem with fuel hydrolocking the engine since there may be fuel still in the lines, Tank and the crankcase.

Is this your first nitro truck? Are you priming the engine before trying to start it? What are you using for a glow heater? Sub-c rechargeable or alkaline?

This is my third nitro but not in a couple of years. At one time had a nitro rustler and rc10gt probably 7 years ago or so. My brother has T Maxx and Savage that start right up no problems he has never encountered problems like this with his. I am using the stock glow heater that comes with. Also it was backfiring during cranking, his 2 have never done that. Are you talking about the primer on the fuel tank?

Thanks for everybodys input, i finally got the problem solved. It was the junk glow igniter that comes with the kit. Went out bought and bought a sub-c rechargable and if fires right up all the time now. Thanks again.