Losi eight-T 2.0 conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 conversion

I've got an Losi 8ight-T 2.0 coming and I'm wondering about motor options. It will be more bash than race.

If I were going to do a conversion on it i would use a motor mount from the dudes racing if he makes one, or if not I know RC Monster does. Id use a version tekno battery tray, and either an RX8 and a Tekin 1700kv on 4S for running on a track or maybe a Castle 2200kv for just flat out nasty bashing speed.

Would a Tekin 2000kv and RX8 be a good middle choice then for mostly bashing and some track running on 4s and some 5s? The RX8/T8 combo is pretty pricey though.

I saw that MudSlinger33 put an RX8 and 1900kv motor in his Rc8t-e. What the difference between what Tekin calls a buggy and truggy motor?

With the Tekins do you put heat shrink over the exposed tabs? Something about having them exposed concerns me.

Last edited:
I've got an Losi eight-T 2.0 coming and I'm wondering about motor options. It will be more bash than race.

Would a Tekin 2000kv and RX8 be a good middle choice then for mostly bashing and some track running on 4s and some 5s? The RX8/T8 combo is pretty pricey though.

I saw that MudSlinger33 put an RX8 and 1900kv motor in his Rc8t-e. What the difference between what Tekin calls a buggy and truggy motor?

With the Tekins do you put heat shrink over the exposed tabs? Something about having them exposed concerns me.

Sorry thats supposed to say "Version 4 Tekno battery tray"

the 1700kv is a better pick than the 2000kv for 2 reasons. One is, on tight or medium sized tracks (i believe the majority of tracks fall under one of those two types, at least around where I am.) the 1700kv is going to be more controllable on the track and will most likely result in better more consistent lap times. The 2000kv is also limited to 4S which means the 1700kv is more versatile. If you run a 1700 on 5S for bashing it will turn higher RPMs than a 2000kv on 4S. Only way to get nastier bashing speeds would either be a Castle 2200kv or a little cheaper alternative may be the Tenshock 2100kv v2. Its about $40 bucks cheaper than the Castle and while I havent used one myself yet, I've ready pretty good things about them on the web. The Tekin setup is the most expensive option on the table but it is also the highest quality option. If you're gonna race at all though thats what Id recommend. If you really dont care about racing and its purely just an after thought save yourself $75-90 bucks and buy an MMM off of eBay and a Tenkshock 2100kv V.2. I would imagine youd be plenty happy bashing that.

The difference between Tekin Buggy and Truggy motors are the Truggy motors have a little bit longer can length thereby providing a little more torque that the Truggies need compared to the Buggies.

I dont heat shrink over the tabs nor does anyone else that I've seen around where I'm at. You certainly could if you wanted to though...it wont hurt anything.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't know the 2000kv was only 4s but I see that on their website now.

I didn't buy it to just race but I do have intentions on going to the track on practice nights and possibly racing in some of the Sunday club races. My work schedule doesn't allow me to go that often though, so alot of the driving/jumping will be in a park near my house - again not a huge space.

Not that I've seen many tracks but I would say that it is small. This is the track, layout at 0:39.

I understand that I would be paying for quality I just want to make sure that it's right for me. Can I ask why you recommended the 1900kv to Mudslinger?

I appreciate your help and I know that you have forgotten more than I know, so if you are saying that this is the one to go with then it is. For some reason I'm still trying to talk myself into it. Possibly because I don't solder very well - I did see the video you posted about it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommended the 1900kv to Mud cuz I screwed up. I didnt realize until you pointed it out that he bought an RC8T. For some reason I had it in my head that he bought the RC8 buggy. The 1900kv could still be ok if your running on a track with nice long straights and its not to tight but technically if I had realized it was a truggy i would have told him the same thing I'm telling you. Dang, now I feel bad for Mud...

Now that I feel like an asshat....I guess I'll go to bed o_O

Last edited:
I would!! After posting such bad information, he should have to change himself to a "Guru". :D

I feel really bad Mud, but I couldnt help but laugh at Schroes joke.

I am going to need a 1900kv motor for my Losi 8ight conversion. If you want I could get a 1700kv and trade you for your 1900kv.

Last edited:
Greywolf,

Where do you buy your Tekins from?

Does the fact that I'd be limited to a 45T spur with the Losi conversion kit change anything?

Back