looking to purchase a new radio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzander11

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm coming back into the r/c surface hobby after a 10-year break and looking to purchase a new radio. I'm into cars and boats and just want the best bang for the buck. something dependable and easy to use. What brand and model would you recommend.

The following is a dated thread, but relevant for the "budget friendly" systems to consider:
https://bdrca.blogspot.com/2020/03/which-surface-radio-is-best.html

If I were to buy a budget system for myself today, I would go with Radiolink:
https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Ch...iver-Controller/dp/B094MMJZ58?ref_=ast_sto_dp

If you want a middle of the road system then consider FlySky Noble NB4:
https://www.amazon.com/MOWEO-Transmitter-Controller-Receiver-Protocol/dp/B0BLSJTSV6/

I am a club racer and have won many races with Radiolink, though the quality has a "cheap" feel to it.

I currently race with the NB4 and the quality/features are on par with many high end radio systems, so you get a lot more "bang for buck" where it compares in quality to a radio that is priced 2-3 times more!

While I never had any quality issues with Radiolink, I have heard of some people run into problems where the brand is hit and miss, so if "dependability" is more important then I would go with the Noble NB4.

Key features that make the NB4 stand out above Radiolink:

• Touch screen menu, far more intuitive to use
  • Smaller footprint, easier to store in tighter space, especially with the folding steering wheel
  • Steering handle is adjustable offering more ergonomics and spring rates, custom wheels, etc
  • USB charge and detachable battery that can be used as a USB power brick to charge cell phones via outbound USB port
  • Rx's are antenna-less where most Rx's fail due to damage to the antenna, this can save you money not having to replace Rx's
  • frame rate is significantly smoother, Radiolink has far less precision, but this is something that you can only feel after switching back from a higher resolution radio, most people can't tell the difference if they only use a low rez system to begin with

Last edited:
Welcome in @bzander11 , there is a lot of good radios out there and @bill_delong posted three of them.
I use a Spektrum DX5C and Flysky GT3B for my ground toys and a Spektrum Dx6e for flying.
Also I have several stock radios that I use for my crawlers.
I'm just a fun hobbyist so budget works for me.

I use a Flysky GT5. At under 80$ I think it has a lot of bang for the money.
It has some crawler functions and lots of ways to configure it.
It has 6 channels for all of my lights winches and extra items.
The receivers are very small and you can get them with a gyroscope and without are currently 23$ or less.
I have switched all of my cars over to this one transmitter. The only part I miss from switching all of my cars over is dedicated momentary button for an E-brake on one of my cars.
Let us know what you decide on.

I've been using the Flysky GT3b for a long time for a budget radio. Its a good 3channel radio for the money and the receivers are cheap ($10ish). Its has 10 model memory so in that way its a bit limited but if you enjoy modding things it has the ability to be modded quite a bit. If you want something with 30 model memory or more channels then look at the 5CH Radiolink RC4GS V3. The receivers are about $25ish though. If you can settle for 20 model memory and you want 6CH then look at the Flysky GT5

What is a really good Flysky radio that is under $125?

"really good" pretty much excludes anything in this price range :(

"budget friendly" system that will "giterdone" would be the GT3B, GT3C or G7P

I have raced with the GT3B and GT3C where both systems have quality issues around the power switches and premature failures on their Rx's... I personally won't touch those systems anymore, I have no experience with the G7P but the Rx looks oversized to me which is a concern.

Only FlySky I would consider is the Noble NB4 which I currently race but it's a $235 system which will pay for itself because these are quality Rx's which will last where the cheaper Rx's on the GT3B/C would fail about once every couple of months of racing on large 1/8 tracks with big air... if you do speed runs with small jumps then the cheap Rx's may last longer but they cost me more money to maintain in the long run :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I do huge jumps like over-the-house kind of jumps. With what you're saying one jump over the house and the Rx's would be donezo beans.
What is a really good radio with a tone of tuning options that you can do on the fly but that also has multiple channels? I am looking for a radio that I can use for all of my cars by just swapping the model.

Yeah, I do huge jumps like over-the-house kind of jumps. With what you're saying one jump over the house and the Rx's would be donezo beans.
What is a really good radio with a tone of tuning options that you can do on the fly but that also has multiple channels? I am looking for a radio that I can use for all of my cars by just swapping the model.
My radiolink rc4gs has 30 model memory. I just got 3 extra receivers and hooked up all of my cars to. So for example if I race my buggy then soon the next race for the slash is up I just switch the model and there we go. Don't forget to set all of the settings for each model. Radiolink receivers (RC6FG) go for about 17-20 USD. The new Radiolink RC8X has 200 model memory. Insane. The radiolink rc4gs v3 has 5 channels. They have the same for the RC6gs v3 which is 7 channels.

for the price I've had much better luck with Radiolink, at least their Rx's can hold up to reasonable abuse.... regardless, I would invest in some urethane padding to absorb the shock using CA glue to glue the pad between the Rx and the radio tray, or if you have a Rx box then stuff the box with open cell foam to help protect the Rx from heavy impacts.

What are you wanting to pair with?
So far just a proboat, but I'm looking to purchase a buggy or truck. I will not race just want to get my radio first something with I can bind to multiple vehicles, easy to use and is dependable. $250.00 would be at the high side of my budget but $100.00 would be better.

Here is a guy demonstrating the GT5.