Looking to buy a electric rock crawler/mud bogger?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I am looking for something with axles for sure. I want something with some flex I can always upgrade it later for more, So far I am mostly interested in the wraith! Is there any advantage with the aluminum frame with leaf springs like a actual vehicle I'm talking about the yota trucks

here is a link of what I'm talking about
(( http://store.rc4wd.com/Trail-Finder-2-Truck-Kit-wMojave-Body-Set_p_2108.html ))

That's a great scaler rig, the leaf springs limit the amount of articulation you get but they can be removed if you don't like them.

Show me a SAS rig thats faster than the wraiths 27t stock motor and NOT made for crawling. The fact that the summit has IFS like a Revo thats even worse, for the fact their pushbar style suspension is a joke...

Also, I have seen a Wraith do more than crawl. At least 6 differant capabilities come to my mind just off the top... And the Wraith comes with locked up diffs, you have to tear the summits apart and tear the diffs open to lock them. Another factor is the stock steering angle & slop in the wheels is a joke too.

If your going more scale the SCX10 is ur truck. I promise the Summit isnt your style.

Twistid, you mentioned you're a newbie to electric. You want to crawl, you want to mud bog, run around a track, hill climb, you're looking for a multi purpose rig, yes?
So the choices are these: You could either invest a good chunk of your time and money into modding and upgrading a Wraith and eventually create a decent multi purpose rig, or plug and play with a truck that was made for multi purpose use. Let me reiterate.. The summit climbs rocks but it is not a rock crawler. Its a RTR multi purpose vehicle, right out of the box. Perfectly suited to newbies
So it all boils down to what works best for you. Personally I feel as a newbie you're getting in over your head.

@ Killer
Sorry buddy, Wraith and fast just don't belong in the same sentence..not with gearing, not with 2 speed trannys not with bigger motors..upgrade all you want, it's still a Sloth.
Wraith excels at crawling over rocks. That's it.. Wanna go mud bogging? Break out the wallet, it's time for mods and upgrades. You're going nowhere near a mud puddle with that thing out of the box.
You want off road handling? Break out the wallet and tools, it's time for mods and upgrades.
I've seen for myself what the Wraith can(not) do other than crawl. I'd like to see the other 6 capabilities you're referring to.

Just to clarify, I lock and unlock the diffs front and rear with the flip of a switch on the transmitter. I switch from high to low gear with the flip of a switch. I strongly doubt your Wraith do the same without upgrades.
Get your facts straight bro, you know nothing about the vehicle you so greatly criticize.

Last edited:
And the Wraith comes with locked up diffs, you have to tear the summits apart and tear the diffs open to lock them.

Don't they have the "t-lock" or something where you lock it with the trx?

Personally I feel as a newbie you're getting in over your head.

He never said he was a newbie, he already owns two other rigs as mentioned in his first post.

@ Killer
Sorry buddy, Wraith and fast just don't belong in the same sentence..not with gearing, not with 2 speed trannys not with bigger motors..upgrade all you want, it's still a Sloth.
Wraith excels at crawling over rocks. That's it.. Wanna go mud bogging? Break out the wallet, it's time for mods and upgrades. You're going nowhere near a mud puddle with that thing out of the box.
You want off road handling? Break out the wallet and tools, it's time for mods and upgrades.
I've seen for myself what the Wraith can(not) do other than crawl. I'd like to see the other 6 capabilities you're referring to.

Just to clarify, I lock and unlock the diffs front and rear with the flip of a switch on the transmitter. I switch from high to low gear with the flip of a switch. I strongly doubt your Wraith do the same without upgrades.
Get your facts straight bro, you know nothing about the vehicle you so greatly criticize.

Killer never said anything about a Wraith being fast, I did. Anything can be made to be fast, it doesn't matter what it is, that's one of the great things about this hobby. And I clearly mentioned that you had to put the two speed in the Wraith yourself.

Bring that summit on over here, I'll dig out my sloth and we'll do some drag racing. :D

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the Summit. It's a compromise that attempts to do everything and doesn't do any of it well. I have a Revo 3.3 and the 1/16 Revo VXL and they are great at speed. Climbing isn't what they and by extension their progeny (Summit, Slash, etc.) were designed to do. Yes the Slash has a 2-speed transmission and lockers, but they do not a rock climber make. It doesn't really have the ground clearance or the gearing or the stability to do things on rocks that crawlers do. Yes I have driven a Summit and yes I have a crawler as well as the SCX-10. Both will beat the Summit crawling (getting up the rocks).

I am looking for a crawler and to play in the mud....if I want to go fast I can bust out my traxxas 3.3 it's fast enough for me. I am looking for a vehicle with axles my traxxas has ifs and doesn't have much flex so looking into something with axles. I have 2 nitro rc's so this will not be my first but will be my FIRST ELECTRIC! So I would like info on batteries , chargers and a good starter truck to upgrade. I am still mostly leaning towards the wraith or the honch just seem to fit what I want best but still open minded and would like opinions and info on things to upgrade I love working on them tuning them so not worried about that part.

How do you consider I am getting in over my head? I am a cnc machinist currently and before that was a mechanic so I know how to work on things fix upgrade ? So are you talking about price range? Electronically? To advanced or what ?

@ HPIguy
I dont know to much about electric this will be my first vehicle.

Show me a SAS rig thats faster than the wraiths 27t stock motor and NOT made for crawling.

Like I said, theres no such thing as speed and Wraith without upgrades.

Well i want to be able to have it in mud, crawl up muddy hills go through mud puddles run it in winter and wet conditions. And for the crawling part i have lots of rock piles in my area and would like to build a small track in the back yard with some mud and hill/rock climbs,
Looks to me like he's in the market for a multi purpose truck, not strictly a rock crawler.
Sure all that can be done with a Wraith, but once again, not without investing in upgrades.

Point I'm making is this: As far as multi duty trucks go, (which it sounds like Twistid is looking for) the Summit wins. Yes it loses the rock crawling battle but wins the overall war. I'm talking bone stock RTR Summit vs. bone stock RTR Wraith.

@ Hamz
Sorry, but I have to disagree about the Summit. It's a compromise that attempts to do everything and doesn't do any of it well. I have a Revo 3.3 and the 1/16 Revo VXL and they are great at speed. Climbing isn't what they and by extension their progeny (Summit, Slash, etc.) were designed to do. Yes the Slash has a 2-speed transmission and lockers, but they do not a rock climber make. It doesn't really have the ground clearance or the gearing or the stability to do things on rocks that crawlers do. Yes I have driven a Summit and yes I have a crawler as well as the SCX-10. Both will beat the Summit crawling (getting up the rocks).
Summit is the only truck I know of that attempts to do everything and does a decent job of it. Like the Wraith, I could dump a boat load into upgrades and compensate where it lacks. But I think its a pretty solid foundation as it sits.
Like HPIguy says, that's the beauty of this hobby.
I can't figure out how Nitro Revos, small scale Revo's and Slash? got into the mix, but I'll address it anyways. Nitro Revo is good for racing and bashing, nothing more, even with upgrades, nothing more.
As far as mini Revos go, I really can't say what they're good for, nothing comes to mind. Slash? Slash is a low CG short course racing truck.
No two speed tranny, no lockable diffs. There's no chance of a Slash climbing anything without radical modifications, except a ramp or dirt slope maybe.

In closing I'd like to say Twistid, it's all up to you. If you want to continually wrench and invest in upgrades for multi purpose offroading, the Wraith or any other crawler for that matter, is your best choice. If you're looking for something that's multi purpose, plug and play right out the box, Summit is a better choice. I can't simplify it better than that.

HPIguy I accept your challenge.....just as soon as available free time and finances allow. Game on sir.:)

Well then, from your two choices, here's my take on both.

The Honcho / SCX10 platform has very scale 1:1 looks, and are quite capable in stock form. The tires are under the fenders for the most part, which will limit tire choice somewhat if you don't wish to cut the body / fenders.

The Wraith on the other hand, while still a scale rig, won't look like a daily driver rig as it's modeled after KOH / rock racer custom buggies. It's wider, longer, and heavier which helps in some areas, and hurts in some. The tires are exposed, so you can run any 2.2 tire you wish pretty much.

How do you consider I am getting in over my head? I am a cnc machinist currently and before that was a mechanic so I know how to work on things fix upgrade ? So are you talking about price range? Electronically? To advanced or what ?

I'm suggesting all the above. Only you know your capabilities and means, I'm just asking you to think outside the box. Don't believe all the hype that you read.

I am looking for a crawler and to play in the mud....if I want to go fast I can bust out my traxxas 3.3 it's fast enough for me. I am looking for a vehicle with axles my traxxas has ifs and doesn't have much flex so looking into something with axles. I have 2 nitro rc's so this will not be my first but will be my FIRST ELECTRIC! So I would like info on batteries , chargers and a good starter truck to upgrade. I am still mostly leaning towards the wraith or the honch just seem to fit what I want best but still open minded and would like opinions and info on things to upgrade I love working on them tuning them so not worried about that part.

Twistid thanks for specifying exactly what it is you're looking for.
As fun as this debate has been, I respect your decision and I'm gonna
stfu :shhh: Well, I'll try anyways.

Please post pics and updates of your build, sportsfan.

I'm off to stir up a ruckus elsewhere..:hehe:

I have owned both a wraith and a scx10(honcho). By far the wraith was much more fun because it was faster

---------- Post added at 6:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:04 PM ----------

Not to say that the honcho isn't any good either. I loved it. But the wraith does extremely well as it's marketed. Either one will please your needs!

Poor guy just wants some advice on a good crawler style truck and he's gotten a freaking war over apples and oranges.

Personally i think the Summit is a cool truck with great features out opf the box...I consider that good and bad! I like a good rig to start with but leaves room for me to mod and improve. The other thing is the price if the Summit is pretty high coming in close to $600.00.

I'm also a fan of the Wraith because it's a solid rig out of the box and with a $120.00 (still cheaper) upgrade it's waterproof and will show the Summit the tail lights plus it just look badass!

The Twin Hammers is another AWESOME rig that will meet your needs.

IMO you will get what you want from either of the mentioned rigs it's all about which one speaks to you!

Last edited:
^^and the lights on the wraith are actually useful

Check out my YouTube acct: Lordog86 to see axials vehicles in action.

I like the off road look better so I'm pretty sure I am going with the "axial wraith" and go all aluminum body panels I like that look!! I would like to make a crawler with it. I am thankful for all the input and advice!! Now I need to know what should I do to upgrade it?
[ Batteries, Charger, Electronics, Tires-I want beadlocks, and if i should upgrade it right out of the box what i would need?? I will look at other builds but any info is helpfull!

Knowing that you want different body panels and wheels are a good start IMO, it gives you a couple of things to work on right away.

Do you plan on getting a RTR or kit? The RTR comes with decent gear to get you going so you have time to feel it out and figure out what you like, don't like, and want. Check out the Axial site for info on the wraith, it shows the bearing you need to upgrade the stock servo which has metal gears but a plastic bushing.

With the kit you're going to want to jump off the deep end right away IMO...Buy the right parts the first time! There is more than one set up to get you where you want to be and as always money is the determining factor.

Back