Looking to buy a electric rock crawler/mud bogger?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistidNitro

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone I am looking into getting a new crawler/mud bog RC?? I have now a traxxas Tmaxx 3.3 , and a Team associated rc10gt that I started with. But i recently moved into town and don't want to annoy my neighbors and want to have some fun after work if anyone has any ideas of what to get something to upgrade easy and that will do some good rock climbs I'm kinda looking towards the axial wraith but am open to other ideas any info will be much appreciated thanks.

What do you consider a mud bogger? As far as crawlers go, are you going to be going to comps or just driving around your home?

Well i want to be able to have it in mud, crawl up muddy hills go through mud puddles run it in winter and wet conditions. And for the crawling part i have lots of rock piles in my area and would like to build a small track in the back yard with some mud and hill/rock climbs, I most likely will not take it to competitions but might later on down the line of owning it but as of now probably won't but it would be nice to get something that i could build up and do a competition if i wanted to. Thanks let me know if you need any more info

I would seriously take a look at the axial wraith. You will have to make it water proof though.

A good way to make it waterproof is to use waterproof components. The newer Spektrum receivers with Reliakote are waterproof as are the new Castles Creations brushless ESCs. The major servo makers also make waterproof servos.

Waterproof is also a relative term. In the case of our hobby it means accidental exposure to a wet environment won't hurt the devices. Playing Captain Nemo will generally ruin the device and void the warranty.

I'll second the Wraith, I love mine. Regardless of what rig you choose, bear in mind that mud bogs rob power quickly, and thus require one thing; big power. You can go with a brushed setup, the advantage being nothing special is required for waterproofing it, but it will require more maintenance. Or, you can go with a sensored brushless setup (needs to be sensored for crawling, or it's cog city), which will need to be waterproofed but require much less frequent maintenance.

The Axial Wraith is the one I have been looking at! Is it good right out of the box or do you need to do any modifications? And its my first electric so what kind of charger and batteries should I get?

It's actually very good out of the box for an RTR. I would pickup a good LiPo charger, a couple of 2s lipos unless you want to upgrade the electronics, and a LiPo charging sack. Lipos are pretty high maintenance though, but as long as you take care of them you should be fine. As far as upgrades go the first thing I would do is get rid of the plastic steering links up front. Next would probably be to work on suspension.

Any good brand for the charger and batteries how long do they usually last ? what kind of maintenance do you have to do?

I'm using Venom branded LiPo packs and charger. It's a personal preference for me. Maintenance on LiPos consists of:

1) Not over draining the cells which why a LVC (low voltage cut-off) which is why one should always be used.

2) At the end of the running day putting a storage charge on the packs. This allows them to be kept without damage for a long period of time.

3) Charging and balancing. This keeps the cells in LiPos at a similar charge state for the best performance. Always use a LiPo sack for charging as this could help keep an explosion for injuring you or burning up something important.

4) Never store a LiPo battery in a vehicle for safety reasons outlined above.

Another good rig for what you're looking to do is the Vaterra Twin Hammers. It's a rock-race similar to the Axial and comes with water resistant electronics and is also an RTR.

Vaterra Twin Hammers is pretty nice! It's a Rock Racer, two speed tranny hi for speed and low for crawling. It has waterproof electronics out of the box, I see a lot of people upgtrade to the velineon brushless system and it's starting to have aftermarket support too.

I recommend the Traxxas summit. It's a rock crawler, it's a mud bogger and a basher all in one. Hi and low geared tranny for crawling and trail blazing, water resistant servos and ESC. Its a beast when used with Lipo batteries.

I recommend the Traxxas summit. It's a rock crawler, it's a mud bogger and a basher all in one. Hi and low geared tranny for crawling and trail blazing, water resistant servos and ESC. Its a beast when used with Lipo batteries.

The Summit is just an overkilled EMAXX, nowhere near a.crawling rig just for the fact it runs open diffs and its IFS on all 4 corners.. I've ran my scalers and crawlers with the Summit and they are pathetic and way too big... Id steer clear of this rig.

I have a really nice waterproof Axial Wraith RTR if your interested. PM me if you want info.

Heres the build thread https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103856

Yea I am looking for something with axles for sure. I want something with some flex I can always upgrade it later for more, So far I am mostly interested in the wraith! Is there any advantage with the aluminum frame with leaf springs like a actual vehicle I'm talking about the yota trucks

here is a link of what I'm talking about
(( http://store.rc4wd.com/Trail-Finder-2-Truck-Kit-wMojave-Body-Set_p_2108.html ))

Last edited:
Well i want to be able to have it in mud, crawl up muddy hills go through mud puddles run it in winter and wet conditions. And for the crawling part i have lots of rock piles in my area and would like to build a small track in the back yard with some mud and hill/rock climbs, I most likely will not take it to competitions but might later on down the line of owning it but as of now probably won't but it would be nice to get something that i could build up and do a competition if i wanted to. Thanks let me know if you need any more info

The Summit is just an overkilled EMAXX, nowhere near a.crawling rig just for the fact it runs open diffs and its IFS on all 4 corners.. I've ran my scalers and crawlers with the Summit and they are pathetic and way too big... Id steer clear of this rig.
@HPI-Killer, I agree with you 100% in one aspect.The Wraith will out crawl and out scale a Summit hands down, all day, every day. Problem is, that's all the Wraith is good for IMO. One dimensional and boring. Forget about mud bogging (as the OP mentioned) without waterproofing the electronics first. Total waste of time running on a small track (as the OP suggested) without motor and suspension mods/upgrades. Bone stock, RTR, the Wraith is slower than molasses running down a grassy hill in January, and handles curves like a three wheeled shopping cart.

For what its worth, the Summit is actually a "overkilled" REVO, not an EMAXX, and the diffs can be locked just like a Wraith :D

Last edited by a moderator:
well I'm used to running my tmaxx out by the river where I live there is some dirt bike tracks that I run it on and lots of hill climbs also lots of rock piles another reason I am looking for a crawler and to use in wet conditions I can always waterproof and upgrade after i get it, I am looking for info on a good starting rig to upgrade and have lots of potential instead of you buying it and it is what it is no upgrades. I dont know to much about electric this will be my first vehicle.

I totally understand where you're coming from, TwistidNitro. Its your hard earned money, and it's you putting in the work. Go with your gut instinct do what's best for you Brotherman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me a SAS rig thats faster than the wraiths 27t stock motor and NOT made for crawling. The fact that the summit has IFS like a Revo thats even worse, for the fact their pushbar style suspension is a joke...

Also, I have seen a Wraith do more than crawl. At least 6 differant capabilities come to my mind just off the top... And the Wraith comes with locked up diffs, you have to tear the summits apart and tear the diffs open to lock them. Another factor is the stock steering angle & slop in the wheels is a joke too.

If your going more scale the SCX10 is ur truck. I promise the Summit isnt your style.

I think for what you're wanting to do, the combination of things, the Wraith or something along those lines is perfect.

Also, if you put a two speed in the Wraith to make it an even playing field, they're fast on the now stock 20T motor. With a pro4 3300kv, they're stupid fun! :D

The SCX-10 is a great trail rig. With a 2-speed RC4WD transmission installed, it is probably a great option for mud bogging. I've got mine set up as a 2007 Wrangler. Here are some pics:

20131119_222051_zps234db36b.jpg

20130302_152500_zps0e4cacda.jpg

20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

20121016_161541_zps9c247199.jpg

Back