LiPo USB charger question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonmc89

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Losi mini t 2.0 brushless. It comes with a USB charger and I’m wondering what the best thing to do when not using the battery is. How do I go about making sure the correct amount of charge for storage is within the battery?

Cheers,

Jason.

jason you buy yourself a better charger with the correct battery end to charge a battery ,I dont have much faith in usb chargers Id recomend either a ac/charger or you take the leap into a dc charger with the correct power supply.. looks like it has a ec 2 battery plug and a 800mah 2 cell ..many ways to get a battery to storage level. you can use a sand alone discharger or let A charger do it for you..

and its not the amount of charge in a lipo battery its the voltage..each cell has to be at a certain voltage . and that varies with user ..the range will be from 3.65 to 3.8 volts...I like the 3.70 voltage ... The talked about percentage % A lipo is at is one of those misused terms.

You can try and put it to storage charge by getting one of those cheap alarms. Charge it, then run it a bit and put the alarm on to check it. When it gets down around 3.8V, stop and unplug the pack. Could also try charging it from "empty" and do the same, just unplug it from the charger and check it every few minutes and keep track how long it takes to get to 3.8V when charging so you have a ballpark idea as to how long to charge it for the future so you don't have to unplug it 10 times and check it.

My small 20W micro pack charger doesn't have a storage mode either. It's an AC 2S/3S charger. The packs I charge on it are 300-400 as well as the 1200 I have in my transmitter. I don't worry about them too much... but it does have lights on it. When they are red, the pack is empty, when they turn orange, they are mostly charged. I unplug it when they are orange and it's around 3.9-4V or so. But if the packs are full, I don't have a good way to run them down other than using them.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/20w-lipo-ac-battery-charger/DYNC0505.html

You can find similar ones on amazon.

I suppose I could make a connector and use one of my big chargers... not sure they can go down to .3A though for 1C charging of these tiny packs.

This is about as low price as you can go for one that is AC/DC so you can charge at home or take it with you that will balance charge/storage charge:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Professional-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B0722NGPBS

The specs say it can go down to .1A, so if you have a 300mah, you'd set it to .3A to charge.

Last edited:
This is about as low price as you can go for one that is AC/DC so you can charge at home or take it with you that will balance charge/storage charge:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Professional-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B0722NGPBS

The specs say it can go down to .1A, so if you have a 300mah, you'd set it to .3A to charge.
This is the charger my neighbor and i both have. With the 800MAH that the Mini-T comes with, it will balance charge and storage charge it quite well. He has the Mini-T, and that is the only charger he uses with it. If you search, you can also find the charger in other colors.

Back